The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   mice mice mice...keep getting in car! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64371)

zavikan 07-15-2017 02:16 PM

mice mice mice...keep getting in car!

OK...So I rarely drive the old girl, but I do on occasion. I cleaned her all up from deep storage and mice had had some fun. Big next in glove box and trunk.

Later this summer I find a new nest in glove box ()*&@#$@#$ Poop and pee trails here and there. CLEAN IT ALL AGAIN.....

Then I found poop today on the carpet....

Is there a common way for these little beasts to get into an SVX? cabin filter or something??? Just surprised they keep coming back even when I use the car.

LarryIII 07-15-2017 04:57 PM

Re: mice mice mice...keep getting in car!

This may sound stupid, but I have heard that dryer sheets repel field mice. Seems that they don't like the smell. I don't know if it works or not. I never tried it. So go to your local supermarket and try it. It is cheap enough.

bheinen74 07-15-2017 06:00 PM

Check out Victor Scent-Away
I have used the pouch bags, and the little plastic ones. I hang one from the vent above the glovebox, one off the turn signal switch and place one down by the heater ducts behind the console, and I hang one on the ABS stuff under the hood.

They actually smell kinda good too in a refreshing way...

Blacky 07-15-2017 06:12 PM

I have 4 cats. Mice have a very short life expectancy around her!:p

zavikan 07-15-2017 07:31 PM

I'll try both. opened the hood to change headlights this evening, a mouse was on the engine. O#U$@@#

ddmd 07-15-2017 09:22 PM

https://www.carbag.com/

Worth every penny. I had $250 worth of damages (two hood insulators) in two years from mice, not to mention poop. I store the car for the winter season in the car jacket.....no mice, no smell, not even dust.

ddmd 07-15-2017 09:23 PM

Also moth balls around the garage work pretty well, but they smell.

svxcess 07-16-2017 04:42 PM

I have had my polo stored in a garage for over a year undriven without problems... and I live deep in the woods.

I have Victor Ultrasonic resellers in every unused outlet in the garage. One that is at the end of a retractable cord from the ceiling and hangs down to the engine manifold from the hood latch. Another is in the interior with a disconnect plug through the firewall.

TIP: Mice like darkness and quiet. In my garage my hood is up 24/7. My glove compartment is open and my rear seats are always down.

They also hate peppermint. Use pure peppermint oil on a cotton ball (available in drug stores) NOT the peppermint extract used in baking.

ChanderLand 09-26-2017 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddmd (Post 747032)
Also moth balls around the garage work pretty well, but they smell.

Yup, this would be a very affordable alternative. :)

SVX_MY_BABY 09-27-2017 07:36 AM

My brother swears by dryer sheets.

wdb 09-27-2017 10:43 AM

Where do people put dryer sheets? Inside the vehicle? Under the hood? On the floor under the car? How many do you use?

svxcess 09-27-2017 06:53 PM

Available on EBAY

SVX_MY_BABY 09-28-2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdb (Post 747337)
Where do people put dryer sheets? Inside the vehicle? Under the hood? On the floor under the car? How many do you use?

mini zip ties to hold them everywhere. Under hood in trunk under dash under seats.