The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   High Pitched Shrill Squeal (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5236)

LarryIII 08-05-2002 09:05 AM

High Pitched Shrill Squeal

Hi All,

Has anyone experienced the following:

For the last month my '92 LSL (SVXY) has beem emitting a high pitched shrill squeal from the right side brakes. I think it is from the rear brake. The interesting thing is the condition under which the sound starts. It occurs on trailing throttle usually after the brakes are warmed up. The sound starts low in volume and gets louder from around 10 mph to 50 mph. The sound disappears about 60-65 mph. The sound stops when I apply the brakes. I does not stop when I apply the parking brake. I cannot tell if ti is the fornt or rear right brake. It sounds like it comes from the from when listening from outside the car, but it sounds like it comes from the rear when I am inside the car.

I can live with it for a while longer. It seems to be temperature influenced. The hotter it is the more it occurs. What has me baffled is that it disappears at higher speeds. I will have the right side brakes looked at in about a month.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Larry III

mattski 08-05-2002 09:56 AM

Have you looked at the condition of the pads? It could be the wear indicator.

svxqueen 08-05-2002 10:02 AM

Hi Larry,
I had the same thing happen to me. The mechanic said it was my brakes which I didn't understand since I only heard it while I was driving not braking. So I replaced the brakes and voila the noise was gone. I don't understand it but it worked!

Mr. Pockets 08-06-2002 12:18 PM

Larry,

You know, it's a shame we don't have a specific forum for technical questions like these. Hell, maybe we could even have a couple of them - one specifically monitored by an 'expert' of sorts. :)

I would just have the brakes looked at. Your caliper could be sticking, or it could just be the wear indicators, as mattski suggested. If it's the latter, then your pads are just badly worn. If it's the former, then some mechanical problem is causing the pads to remain forcefully against the rotor, wearing them rapidly. Either way, that squealing is probably an indicator that your pads are nearing the end of their useful lives.

Amanda, just because it happens when you're not braking doesn't mean it's not your brakes. There are plenty of noises that occur when the brakes are not applied. The pads pretty much ride right on the rotors, so any number of noises can be caused by rotor warpage, caliper problems, etc. My wife's Legacy made horrible noises from the right rear while turning. One look at the pads in the right rear showed me that a sticking caliper had caused the inner pad to wear past the friction material, right down to the metal.

SHISVX 08-06-2002 02:15 PM

are you sure it is coming from the brakes? i had a high pitch shreak coming from my rear tire at one point--SCARED THE LIVING POOPIE out of me, especially cuz i was on a major highway doing like 85 mph. it turned out that i had bottomed out a bit and a piece of the metal was touching the thingy that goes to the tires. just got underneath "Dimples" and pulled it away and that was that.

Kelli

kuoh 08-06-2002 04:50 PM

Kelli, your post was too technical for me to understand. Could you explain "the thingy that goes to the tires" and "dimples" in layman's terms? ;)

KuoH

Quote:

Originally posted by SHISVX
it turned out that i had bottomed out a bit and a piece of the metal was touching the thingy that goes to the tires. just got underneath "Dimples" and pulled it away and that was that.

1994SubaruSVX 08-07-2002 08:51 AM

i think my brake shims are not doing their job.....

when i go over bumps i hear a rattle coming from up front like everything is loose........:rolleyes:

SHISVX 08-07-2002 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kuoh
Kelli, your post was too technical for me to understand. Could you explain "the thingy that goes to the tires" and "dimples" in layman's terms? ;)

KuoH

well Dimples is my car's new name cuz of her little dent problem. and you know the big cylinder that goes from the front to the back of the car down the middle that has something to do with the tires? well there is a piece of flat metal that was rubbing up against the cylinder that was making that noise on my car. i don't know names of anything, sorry, but someone tell me what it is so i know for next time.

Kelli:)

1994SubaruSVX 08-07-2002 02:05 PM

kelli......

if this comment is sexist then i am sorry......but your last post was cute. that is something my wife would write.
:)