The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Car worth transmission and other problems? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1902)

awdfan 11-06-2001 09:16 AM

Car worth transmission and other problems?

Hi gang,

I'm considering buying a 95 AWD LS with 56k miles. The things that I've reading about the tranny and other miscellaneous are starting to worry me. Is the car that good to take that risk? Will a tranny cooler help to preserve it or will it go soon anyway? Can anyone recommend a cooler? Should I buy a service contract 4 years - $1800? Would appreciate your input.

cocacola08 11-06-2001 09:46 AM

Ya it's worth it..conditionally..

1....the service deal--what all does it cover?
2....the history of the car--is it clean? has the tranny already
been fixed? If so, by who?
3....the car itself--while you're driving, is there a lion chasing
you?(wheel bearing)

there are other things to check for as well.....

Mr. Pockets 11-06-2001 10:01 AM

Re: Car worth transmission and other problems?

Quote:

Originally posted by awdfan
Hi gang,

I'm considering buying a 95 AWD LS with 56k miles. The things that I've reading about the tranny and other miscellaneous are starting to worry me. Is the car that good to take that risk? Will a tranny cooler help to preserve it or will it go soon anyway? Can anyone recommend a cooler? Should I buy a service contract 4 years - $1800? Would appreciate your input.

I consider the SVX to be worth every penny and then some, but then I haven't had any noteworthy problems with mine. I bought it just over two years ago at 96k miles and I now have nearly 127k on it. In that time, the car has needed:

Brake pads front and rear, and rear rotors.
Tires
Power steering hose
CV boot (only 1 of 8 on the car)

Yeah, I change the oil and do other routine maintenance, and I'm 7k overdue on the timing belt, but my SVX has been a very reliable car. I think this is for two reasons:

1. Neither I nor the previous owner have thrashed the car. I have been known to hit 130 once in a blue moon, but I don't slide around corners and I don't get into stoplight races.

2. It has been maintained according to Subaru's recommended maintenance schedule.

If the SVX you're looking at has been taken care of, then you're in for a fantastic experience. An SVX that has been pampered shows it - both inside and out and in documentation.

But an SVX that's been beat to hell and back will likely serve up problem after problem.

If you fill in your location in your profile, you might find that you have a club member in town who can help you out.

awdfan 11-06-2001 11:25 AM

feedback

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I haven't seen or driven the car yet - I'll do that this weekend. I'm familiar with the qualities of the Subarus - my family has had two, a 91 legacy and a 97 outback legacy. I just got rid of a 92 Maxima SE - very good car, quick and reliable but kinda dull. I have had my eyes on a SVX for a long time. I don't have a problem paying for routine things but the thought of dropping $3-$4k for a tranny is a turn-off. If I buy the car I guess I'll buy an after-market tranny cooler right away. If I can pay monthly installments on the warranty maybe I'll splurge for it. The quote was from Warrantybynet.com. If you know of a better one please let me know. Thanks.

Aredubjay 11-06-2001 11:27 AM

Whether the car is worth it or not is (as are all things) a matter of opinion.

I've chronicled my two years with my SVX with most of the people on this board and, I dare say, a "smarter" person would've given up after the first year. I've never once claimed to be smart, I only know that I have found what is (for me, anyhow) the ultimate automobile. Sure, I have dreams of Lambos, and XJ220's and other exotics. I realize that the SVX doesn't even TOUCH this class of car, but, dollar for dollar, both in "buy-in" and maintenance, not to mention pure satisfaction of style and functionality --- need I say more. To me -- IT'S WELL WORTH IT.

awdfan 11-06-2001 11:38 AM

feeback

Thanks for the input,

I had an 89 Saab 9000 turbo - I loved that car but couldn't afford to maintain it. I'm sure the Sube would be more reliable. My Subaru dealer told me that Subaru is only obligated to make parts until 2007. If that's true, how difficult do you think it will be to get parts after then?

Thanks.

Aredubjay 11-06-2001 11:49 AM

Re: feeback

Quote:

Originally posted by awdfan
Thanks for the input,

I had an 89 Saab 9000 turbo - I loved that car but couldn't afford to maintain it. I'm sure the Sube would be more reliable. My Subaru dealer told me that Subaru is only obligated to make parts until 2007. If that's true, how difficult do you think it will be to get parts after then?

Thanks.

Seeing as how parts are already getting scarce, especially "non-essential" parts like trim pieces and such, I'd say it'd be pretty darned hard ---- UNLESS --- we, as an organized group could show some clout and let SOA know that we're here and ask (very nicely, mind you) that they don't crap on us. Also, as an organization, to find a "partner" who will, as cars become salvaged, either try to maintain parts or have a central database with a ready supply of salvaged SVXes for quick access (yeah, so, maybe I'm dreamin'). I think that Titus Tacoma Subaru is the only "true friend" we have when it comes to parts, here in the States, however, some have made some great strides in connecting to a Japanese supplier, who, when you figure shipping and commission, has sometimes been less expensive than what you can get parts for in the States. I mean, with the coverage we have through this "Network," and the raw enthusiasm I've seen, over the past two years, from SVX owners, we should be able to create some kind of "vendor coilition" to supply our needs.

OOPS! Sorry. Who put that damned soap box there?!?!? :D

1994SubaruSVX 11-06-2001 11:51 AM

WOW ONLY UNTIL 2007....

that is scary. the svx is a wonderful car. i have never gotten more looks and compliments than i do when i am in my svx. plus it is fun to drive. buy the car immediately but a b&m cooler or a perma cooler on it and enjoy. :)