The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hood Stay Length? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26157)

Canuck 05-12-2005 01:15 PM

Hood Stay Length?

Hi There,

I'm going to do some looking for after-market hood stays on the way home from work today. I'm thinking of trying some of the agricultural equipment suppliers.

Is anyone close to their car and can they tell me the the length/dimensions of the hood stays?

Thanks

svxfiles 05-12-2005 01:46 PM

From the middle of the top pivot to the middle of the bottom pivot, 18.5 inches, when fully extended. :)

Unless the water is cold! :eek:

Canuck 05-12-2005 01:58 PM

Thanks!

Do you also have the length of just the cylinder? Or is it simply 1/2 of the total extended length?

If I find a cheap source of the stays somewhere up here I'll let everyone know. With the Canadian dollar at around $0.80 USD, it could make it worth your while.

I'll let you know.

RJ

svxfiles 05-12-2005 02:24 PM

From the end of the cylinder to the middle of the top pivot, 10.25 inches. :)

Canuck 05-12-2005 02:57 PM

Thanks again. You've saved me some mileage.

AFBeefcake 05-12-2005 04:14 PM

I got after market lifters on my hood, but there only lift 15 pounds each

Canuck 05-13-2005 12:45 AM

I stopped at Canadian Tire on the way home and found one that's really close. I thought I'd just pick up one, to see if it fit.

I had to put a 90 degree bend in the mounting bracket on one end but it went in fine then, With even only the one in, it supported the hood great. I'll pick up another tomorrow. They were only $29 CDN.

Earthworm 05-13-2005 10:51 AM

Any pics?

Part number? (I need new lifts and there's a CT right beside work)

Canuck 05-13-2005 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Any pics?

Part number? (I need new lifts and there's a CT right beside work)

Sorry, I left the package at home. I meant to bring it because I was going to get the other side today.

If you go to CT, the stays will all be in one area. The brand name is "Strong Arm". Try looking first for the ones that are about 20", the SVX originals are 18.5". The one I picked up had a flat plate on the chamger side and came complete with the round whatever you call it that screwed right into the hood. When I bent the flat plate so it would mount onto the fender under the hood, only one hole lined up. But, once it was in place, it seemed really solid and worked great. Beats having the stays rebuilt.

They're hard to describe. If you can wait until this evening, I can give you the part number. If you're anxious, you might just pick up one or two and if they're not the right ones return/exchange them on Monday when you're back at work.

Earthworm 05-13-2005 01:22 PM

I'm in no real rush. I currently use a split hose for a hood prop. It fits around the strut shaft and cut to the exact lenth of the shaft when fully extended. Works great for car shows.

Canuck 05-14-2005 05:02 PM

The one that I used for the hood is StrongArm number 4859, CT number 22-2179-2. I went to pick up a second one today and noticed the supports are in two locations in the store. The second lcation had some small ones that might just work on the trunk. I'll go back on Monday and compare. I'll post whatever I find out.

Earthworm 05-16-2005 11:25 AM

Awesome. I'll stop off after work today to see what we have locally.

Cappy 05-16-2005 01:26 PM

Hey Randy, THANKS SO MUCH for taking the time and effort to find an aftermaket hood strut. I just knew someone in this forum would find the right one & save me a hundred bucks or so in replacing my tired struts. That's what makes this such a great group!
Cap
:D