The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Where do you guys get your OEM struts from? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30997)

cagey27862 01-20-2006 02:53 AM

Where do you guys get your OEM struts from?

I want to replace the struts on my SVX. Also, I need to replace the Power Steering hose- high side. Where do you'll order your parts from? I checked Napa, Advance, etc but they didn't sell them. I looked on subaruparts and got confused as to what to order as far as the rear struts go. Is the $129 item just the cartridge? Why does the $193 item say 2x beside it? Here's the link to the rear struts. Oh and thanks for hooking me up on the napa alternator... I'm going to do the alternator wiring upgrade soon.

Thanks,
Cagey

cagey27862 01-20-2006 03:05 AM

Oh, I remember reading about someone selling upgraded springs for the SVX. Can you'll refresh my memory of that person's website? The Koni's sounded cool but I can't weld :o . Poor college students can't do too many things at once!

Thanks,
Cagey

SilverSpear 01-20-2006 03:22 AM

www.motorsportwarehouse.com , his name is Dayle
You should check what parts are damaged in your rear strut. http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=211-1.You will probably need the cartridges (20360). But you should let someone check the struts for you to know what to order

intelisevil 01-20-2006 07:13 AM

Coil Springs

mbtoloczko can make you replacement coil springs for whatever your heart desires - Stock, Raise, Lower.

RojoRocket 01-20-2006 08:13 AM

Cagey,
The 2X means that's for 2 struts(old listing cuz it no longer shows it, but struts used to be cheaper!) on subaruparts site. That is for the entire strut ready to install. You may need new "helpers" as well, aka "stops", which protect the assembly if bottomed out.

The Koni's do not require any welding, but do require some cutting and drilling of the old strut bodies. I did a writeup a while back on it if you do a search. Not too difficult. Any welding you've read about probably involved the ground-control coilover setup in combo with the Koni's.

Glenn

mbtoloczko 01-20-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intelisevil
mbtoloczko can make you replacement coil springs for whatever your heart desires - Stock, Raise, Lower.

That's me. :-) See link in my signature. You can also choose from a range of spring rates. I also sell the Koni inserts. If you like, I can build up struts with Koni inserts for you. If you want OEM struts, the best price on struts that I have found is at 1stsubaruparts.com. They are always a bit cheaper than subaruparts.com. 866 528-5282. Ask for Jason in Parts.

Crusader 04-13-2006 09:30 PM

Okay my front passenger strut died and I have a couple questions.

Should I replace both of the struts or is it okay to just put a new OEM strut in the place of the failed component.

Also the order guides on both suburauparts and 1stsubaruparts are confusing to me. The subaruparts one has one listed with a part number listed as 20311PA001 and has "2x-" next to it in the caption, the other is listed as 20311PA000 and has "-29" next to it on the caption. The 1stsubaruparts one has a strut "to 9/92" and a "from 10/92" on the right hand side, but just one for the left hand side ???

If I need to replace both is OEM The best option or are there any aftermarket options to consider.

Thanks for any help guys

---Mike---

mbtoloczko 04-13-2006 10:33 PM

Everyone needs the "from 10/92" ones. There is a left and a right side. They should be about $100-$110 each. Call up Jason at 1stsubaruparts and he'll set you up with exactly what you need. 866 528 5282.

You could replace both sides, but its not absolutely necessary. I'd replace both sides.

SVXRide 04-14-2006 09:02 PM

Strong suggestion -- have the shop that's going to do the install for you order the struts. Then, if they turn out to be "crap" from sitting on a shelf for so long, they'll still be under warrenty and you won't have to pay to have them removed and replacements installed. By "crap", I mean they'll start leaking after less than 1,000 miles. Then again, you might get a good set and they'll last you thousands of miles:D
-Bill (lessons learned from having gone through 6 "new" struts and only having one "good" one left before going with Koni inserts....)

Crusader 04-15-2006 11:48 AM

How about doing Koni inserts on just the fronts with stock springs? Noticable cornering performance gains or no?

plus what is the prices / availability of konis?

just trying to weigh out my options while i save the money i need to fix the leaky strut :(

SVXRide 04-15-2006 03:47 PM

Definitely a step in the right direction! If you'd like the ride with the stock springs to be a little firmer, then the Konis will let you "tune" the ride to make it happen.
-Bill

mbtoloczko 04-15-2006 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crusader
How about doing Koni inserts on just the fronts with stock springs? Noticable cornering performance gains or no?

plus what is the prices / availability of konis?

just trying to weigh out my options while i save the money i need to fix the leaky strut :(

Supposedly, Koni's on their softest damping setting are about equal to the stock strut damping rate, so it could work reasonably well. Presently, there are no Konis that I know of in the USA though. The importer is out of stock. New stock is supposed to be arriving in early June.

Crusader 04-16-2006 10:22 AM

Hmm i don't think i should drive around on a broken strut till june, guess i'll go with the stock replacement