The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Power steering pump (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64568)

Kinglizard 03-28-2018 02:13 PM

Power steering pump

I have owned 8 SVXs over the years and Have recently tried to buy a Rebuilt Power steering pump for my 1996 LsI.

My question is this:
Several companies list a Rebuilt Pump but they seem to think there are 2 types of Pump, one that Fits the L and LS model with electronic Engine speeed sensing and another that fits the LSI Models with Road Speed Electronic sensing.

Some listings show that ALL SVXs for 92-97 take the same pump. The electronic valve that is connected to the output line may be different, but the pump itself looks the same to Me on My 1992 LsL and my 1995 LS parts cars.

SO.. is there a different PUMP for the LSI or for different years?

oab_au 03-28-2018 04:15 PM

Re: Power steering pump

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinglizard (Post 748390)
I have owned 8 SVXs over the years and Have recently tried to buy a Rebuilt Power steering pump for my 1996 LsI.

My question is this:
Several companies list a Rebuilt Pump but they seem to think there are 2 types of Pump, one that Fits the L and LS model with electronic Engine speeed sensing and another that fits the LSI Models with Road Speed Electronic sensing.

Some listings show that ALL SVXs for 92-97 take the same pump. The electronic valve that is connected to the output line may be different, but the pump itself looks the same to Me on My 1992 LsL and my 1995 LS parts cars.

SO.. is there a different PUMP for the LSI or for different years?

Yes the pumps are different in the valving inside the pump.

The road speed controlled pump only has a maximum pressure valve in the pump and the pressure control is done at the rack.

The engine rpm controlled pump has all the valving for maximum pressure and pressure control inside the pump.

The switch on the output is the same, just tells the ECU that the pump is applying load to the engine.

Kinglizard 04-03-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 748391)
Yes the pumps are different in the valving inside the pump.

The road speed controlled pump only has a maximum pressure valve in the pump and the pressure control is done at the rack.

The engine rpm controlled pump has all the valving for maximum pressure and pressure control inside the pump.

The switch on the output is the same, just tells the ECU that the pump is applying load to the engine.

THANKS for resolving my confusion... What would happen if the Ls pump is used on an LSI?

oab_au 04-03-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinglizard (Post 748417)
THANKS for resolving my confusion... What would happen if the Ls pump is used on an LSI?

OK If the rpm controlled pump was used on the speed controlled rack, at low speed it would be very light, as the Ls pump would increase pressure, and the Lsi rack would do the same.

At high speed it would be very heavy, as they both would reduce the pressure, but it would be very exciting.:eek:

Ps. you may be able to swap the control valves over in the two pumps.

Tmazzola12 04-03-2018 05:46 PM

Question I have a 1996 LS-I as well...which pump does my car have
Or how would I tell

oab_au 04-03-2018 09:24 PM

I am not sure about the US models, we only got Lsi, road speed controlled in Aust, but if they are the same it will be road speed controlled also.
If you look under the car at the rack it will have electrical wiring going to it.