The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   hub tamer & rear wheel bearings info (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6585)

lee 10-22-2002 08:35 PM

hub tamer & rear wheel bearings info

First, to Beav: Hub tamer worked well with one possible exception. I couldn't figure out a way to press the hub back into the knuckle without pressure on the bearings againt the races - pushing into the front and holding the rear with the back side of the tamer adapter. Did I do it wrong?

Looks like the job went very well - put about 50 miles on and nothing fell off - definition of a good job for me. With the tool price down to $269 and free shipping it looks like it's almost worth it just for home use.

One BIG info item: The NCA/National part number shown at multiple local parts house AND online at carparts.com is NOT the correct seals. I was able to get them at a NAPA store. Just be aware that Federal-Mogul/National seals #4899 and (forgot the number it's like 225573) will NOT work.

Beav 10-22-2002 09:04 PM

The correct set up is to have a cup that closely fits the hub center (the raised portion that centers the wheel), in order to keep the pressing bolt as close to centered as posssible. Place an adaptor that only contacts the center/inner race on the opposite side. #31888 I think is the adaptor number, and you should have it's raised portion away from the bearing. That way the only pressure to the bearing is carried by the inner races alone, not by the outer races or rollers. This way it's almost impossible to damage the bearing. If you're missing the instruction book I can scan and e-mail mine.

After re-reading your question I'm getting the idea that you used the large 'c' clamp looking piece to re-install the hub? If so you did do it wrong :) , but hey! as long as it works, it's o.k.

ensteele 10-22-2002 11:59 PM

Where is this tool available, and can the adapter be purchased at the same place? Thanks in advance.:)

Beav 10-23-2002 01:27 AM

http://www.mile-x.com/otchubtamer.html currently $259.95 The adaptor I was referring to is part of the tool kit.

Considerations: This is not a tool anyone would want to use by hand. A good air compressor and a stout ½" impact wrench should be available (that means no tools from Costco, WalMart, etc.) If you want to use it while the knuckle is still mounted on the car a hoist is preferred to sitting on the ground with your feet sticking under the car. O.K., I'm spoiled, but I'm being realistic also.

Best bet for the average Joe/Joan that wants to save some $$ - R&R the hub and knuckle at home and take it to a local automotive machine shop for pressing. I wouldn't recommend taking it to a regular garage as most are too cheap to buy proper equipment for this job. Most machine shops have the tools and experience to do the job correctly. KEYWORD = 'Most' Cost should equal the bearing and about $20 labor, plus the normal bruises, blood, beer and dirty blue jeans. Broken ABS sensors additional.

ensteele 10-23-2002 09:43 AM

I work at a Technical College where I can have the shop use a press to remove or press on hubs, bearings, etc. Would this be a better solution than getting one of these tool even if I have the compressor and impact wrentch available? Just want to make sure this would be worth it.

lee 10-23-2002 12:44 PM

thanks Beav,

I did do what you describe, I just didn't describe it as well/clearly as you. No I didn't use the large "C".

By the way, I didn't use an impact gun. Just a large breaker (with 1" socket) on one end of the long bolt/nut/washers/adapter/cup combo, an industrial sized 1-1/8" wrench on the other, and it came apart - and went back together like that. It took some time, but I liked it better because I could "feel" in my hands no "forced" parts. Beav, I'm sure, you have much better touch from tool familiarity with an impact.

One caveat though for other readers since I suggested this might be an at-home tool....car was on a hoist at perfect working height, and these were large Snap-On tools. On the ground at home with the wimpy craftsman tools (that I have) I would have ended up calling a tow truck. I was assuming that anybody thinking of buying a $260 tool for home would have the other necessities too.

Note to self - Gotta learn from Beav about "considered" questions & answers, instead of usual mode - going on auto-pilot at the keyboard, (brain's response to me - seems doubtful, but ya never know) :)

mbtoloczko 10-23-2002 02:00 PM

Hey lee,

Any chance I can borrow your Hub Tamer? I'll pay shipping to and from your place, and if I trash it, I'll buy you a new one.

Beav 10-23-2002 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele93
I work at a Technical College where I can have the shop use a press to remove or press on hubs, bearings, etc. Would this be a better solution than getting one of these tool even if I have the compressor and impact wrentch available? Just want to make sure this would be worth it.

I'd suggest it to the head instructor, or whomever makes procurement easy. Upside is that the students would be using the right tool for the job and could preach it's worthiness to their future employers. Downside is typical - it costs money. :rolleyes:

It does make the job easier by way of not having to completely remove the knuckle from the car. Plus job-specific tools usually produce better results.

lee 10-23-2002 05:25 PM

mbtoloczko

Would if it was mine.

I work on an Air Force base and they have an auto hobby shop where you rent stall space for $4 per hour (max charge 8 hrs/day) and all the tools are free - except the paint booth, that's $50 for 24 hours.

Only down side is no welding (safety issues), and no automatic transmission overhaul support. :(