The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   crank pulley issues (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32787)

Iceman59718 04-21-2006 06:59 AM

crank pulley issues

What's up fellow SVXers?

I recently posted about having the serious electrical issues. Well, I've changed the alternator and all is well with the charging system, but I still need to find and kill my remaining electrical gremlins. Anyway, my lack of cruise, blinkers, and power door locks is no longer my concern. I've been driving my Jetta which doesn't compare to driving the SVX so even with the electrical issues I've felt the need to still drive my SVX occasionally. I took it to work last night and was at a stoplight when I heard a fairly nasty vibration coming from the engine. When I stopped to take a look I found the noise to be coming from the front of the engine and it would appear that my crank pulley is wobbling. Is this the case? I've already searched on the topic and found very little so please don't flame me. If this is the issue I have no reservations about changing it. My question is if anyone has heard anything about the Motorsport crank pulley. I figure if I'm gonna change it why not put on a lighter one and see if I can cut down on parasitic losses. Also, what's the easiest way to get the crank pulley off? I found in one of the posts that someone used a strap wrench and a breaker bar. Any other tricks I should know? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

-Dave

AFBeefcake 04-21-2006 08:29 AM

The Motorsport crank pulley would work fine and I think it is cheaper then a new OEM pulley. Just stay with a stock size pulley. I run lightened pulleys on both of my cars without any problems.

dcarrb 04-21-2006 11:31 AM

I've been running the Motorsport 1-piece OEM sized pulley with no troubles for a good while now, but some think it best to stick with the stock "harmonic balancer." (Gotta figure they made it that way for a reason.) Not to flame, but if you didn't specifically search "crank pulley," you should. I recall a few fairly detailed threads on the topic that could help you make an informed decision. Good luck.

dcb

SVXRide 04-21-2006 12:07 PM

you could do what I did when my stock damper started "wobbling" --- find someone who had switched to an aftermarket damper and offer to buy their old stock damper;)
-Bill

dcarrb 04-21-2006 12:32 PM

I once found a place online called the "Damper Doctor" that quoted me a rebuild price considerably lower than the cost of new OEM, but of course, you have to send them your old pulley for a rebuild. They were in California. Google 'em and see what's what.

dcb

SVXRide 04-21-2006 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
I once found a place online called the "Damper Doctor" that quoted me a rebuild price considerably lower than the cost of new OEM, but of course, you have to send them your old pulley for a rebuild. They were in California. Google 'em and see what's what.

dcb

if it's the same thing that happened to mine, the metal part of the damper is actually cracked. You'd have to weld it up and rebalance the unit.
-Bill

p.s. another option is dropping a PM on LAN and see if he can't cut you a stock sized damper, as he's got his equipment set up to do them in support of his s/c efforts

intelisevil 04-21-2006 10:01 PM

Another option would be to get a stock pulley from a Legacy (and maybe some other models). Same diameter, same grooves, bolts right up. I'm sure you can find a few of those in your local junkyard . . .

I really like the idea of getting Lan to punch out a few light weight stock size pulleys for us. :D

Dan

immortal_suby 04-21-2006 10:27 PM

I have Motorsport's lightweight stock size pulley on both svx's and have no problems with either one. :)

Landshark 04-22-2006 12:11 AM

if the SVX is the same size as the Legacy and WRX (i think it is, can't remember now :confused: ), Perrin makes a nice stock-size lightweight pulley.

http://www.perrinperformance.com/pro...ank_pulley.htm

AFBeefcake 04-22-2006 06:28 AM

It would be nice if Lan could make a few light weight stock size power steering pump pulleys. :)

NikFu S. 04-22-2006 01:21 PM

Can someone with a really nice ruler go out and measure their Legacy pulley to verify it is the same size inside and out as the SVX? :) ?

I need to get rid of my underdriven pulley for a stock diamter light weight and that Perrin is really pretty.

19svx94 04-22-2006 01:44 PM

a easy way to get the crank pully off is to put a large breaker bar with the socket on the bolt, after taking the belts off, and hold it, have someone crank the motor over really quick, this will break it loose, another way is to stick a prybar through the access hole on the passenger side of the motor in the back to the flexplate, if you take the motor to a spot where you can see a torque converter bolt there is a large hole you can stick a prybar in and you can hold the motor that way, good luck

Landshark 04-22-2006 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Can someone with a really nice ruler go out and measure their Legacy pulley to verify it is the same size inside and out as the SVX? :) ?

I need to get rid of my underdriven pulley for a stock diamter light weight and that Perrin is really pretty.

i can measure my stock Legacy pulley later .......

intelisevil 04-22-2006 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S.

Sorry, I'm too lazy to go out and measure my Legacy pulley that is installed in my SVX with stock belts . . . ;)

Dan

NikFu S. 04-22-2006 10:21 PM

Oh well. ;)