The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Justy studs (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17060)

Mr. Pockets 03-09-2004 12:35 PM

Justy studs

I replaced a couple of the wheel lug studs on the front-right hub on my Justy, but now I have a concern.

Was I supposed to adjust the bearing at all with the axle nut? I have a Chilton's manual, but it doesn't specifically mention the Justy. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Edit: I did just find a torque spec for the Justy's axle nut, 145ft-lbs. That's probably pretty close to the amount of force I used to put it on. My 'bolt-feel' is pretty good.

Subafreak 03-09-2004 07:43 PM

Just a little story: About a week ago I put two axles in a customers Justy (those and about $1,500 worth of other work) and then it came in today for a clutch. When I went to take off the right front axle nut I noticed that it had split in half!:eek: There was only half the nut still on the threads and the only thing keeping it there was the cotter pin. It was the brand new nut that came with the brand new axle and I tourqed it to spec and everthing! It's a good thing he came in for a clutch when he did, I don't know how much longer that cotter pin would have held up.

Also I find that it is just as hard to find Justy parts in stock as it is for SVX parts, but the Justy parts are still cheaper.:D

b3lha 03-10-2004 07:14 AM

You have to be really careful not to overtighten them. It is very easy to strip the thread on the axle. :(

In fact, the whole drivetrain of a Justy seems to be made of rather soft stuff.

We had a problem where, under acceleration with 4WD engaged, the back of the car would occasionally swing out sideways without warning. It was rather scary. :eek:

I eventually found that the splines had worn away on one the rear hubs such that the axle would spin inside it, when given enough torque to overcome the friction.

Phil.

Aredubjay 03-10-2004 07:25 AM

Hmm. I just peeked in. I though you'd joined another car club, Nick. :D

Never mind. I'll leave now.

Mr. Pockets 03-10-2004 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by b3lha
You have to be really careful not to overtighten them. It is very easy to strip the thread on the axle. :(

In fact, the whole drivetrain of a Justy seems to be made of rather soft stuff.

Phil.

Well, it's at least made of little stuff! :)

Hopefully I'll get my spacers today so I can see, finally, whether or not I can mount these stupid wheels I bought.

Oh, and here's some funny Justy trivia. I had the front of the Justy up on jackstands so I could replace a stripped stud. The stands were under both of the front jacking points on the edges of the body, right behind the rear wheel wells. I realized that the parts I needed were on the front seat, so I opened the door.

Or tried to, anyway. It seems that the car was flexing and with the front hanging over these jackstands, the front doors didn't open and close right. I stuck my jack underneath the front subframe, lifted slowly, and I could watch the car bend back.

Yeah, so...uh...I need to put in that rollcage. :p

Subafreak 03-10-2004 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by b3lha

Phil.

No the threads wern't stripped, the nut just broke in half. I think it was a little defective.:rolleyes:

I love the 10mm bolts holding the pressure plate on.:D

Subafreak 03-11-2004 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
Hmm. I just peeked in. I though you'd joined another car club, Nick. :D

I can't wait for the calender.:)

Mr. Pockets 03-11-2004 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak

I can't wait for the calender.:)

HMMMMMMmmmmmm...

;)