The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Just bought a 92 LS-L... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13142)

surfer63 09-12-2003 04:46 PM

Just bought a 92 LS-L...

Got any tips for me (besides what is in the FAQ) on what to do (or check) on the car first? It is a '92 LS-L 145K, the miles are high, but I have noticed no problems at all. The previous owner is the shop foreman at the local Nissan dealer, and the car seems very well maintained. He rebuilt the trans himself and it shifts smooth. The oil is very clean (so unless he just changed it yesterday) it leads me to believe the oil has been changed regularly. I thought I would start with switching to Mobil 1 ATF, but is there anything else you guys think I must do?

Thanks for any tips,

Matt.

svx_commuter 09-12-2003 05:44 PM

Oh NO :eek: You didn't really buy one of those awlful SVX's did you?????

Oh man I really feel for you. I hope you got lots of money for the many repairs and routine maintenance: T-belt change, crank seal, cam seals, spark plugs, failing wheel bearing bearings, leaking a/c, not to mention that it will most likely rust away. Well any way I'll help you out. :) I'll give you $500 for the car sight unseen. Oh heck, I'll even come pick it up and give you cash. What do say???

Well all kidding aside. I hope you did not take this seriously :) I think you may have the best average mileage SVX around. A shop foreman huh?

Best of luck with your SVX and everything is working.... leave it alone and drive it. :D Enjoy.......

ensteele 09-12-2003 08:39 PM

Welcome to the site Matt. Hope we can help you in the future with some of your questons or needs. Enjoy the car! :)

FearWhat 09-12-2003 08:50 PM

Matt Welcome to your new addiction!!!! :D :D

Chicane 09-12-2003 11:36 PM

If you switch to mobil 1 now, be prepared for it to start leaking. >shrug< Your call.

- Rob

FearWhat 09-13-2003 12:43 AM

yes i found a nice explaination on the purple royal site why cars with abit higher milage start to leak when changing to Synthetic oil's,

basically the Synthetic oils cleans the motor sooooo much better then conventional oils' that it takes the build up of crud that was stoping the leaking before hehe. SO i guess if synthetic was used from day one iether one, the leak would not of started OR hehe the leak would of started earlier..:)

Chicane 09-13-2003 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by FearWhat
yes i found a nice explaination on the purple royal site why cars with abit higher milage start to leak when changing to Synthetic oil's,

basically the Synthetic oils cleans the motor sooooo much better then conventional oils' that it takes the build up of crud that was stoping the leaking before hehe. SO i guess if synthetic was used from day one iether one, the leak would not of started OR hehe the leak would of started earlier..:)

Yep. Eventually, the seals will swell up (if you're lucky) and the leak will stop. I had my main seal replaced when I had the timing belt, waterpump etc done, and ever since it hasn't leaked one tiny little drop. Score. :)

Good luck though, they're AWESOME cars, even if they aren't the best in accel, handling, etc.

- Rob

immortal_suby 09-13-2003 09:41 AM

I switched to synthetic in my wifes svx and my svx both at around 100k and neither one of them leaked. YMMV.

surfer63 09-13-2003 01:41 PM

I think you misread my post

I'm not switching engine oil to synthetic, i'm switching my ATF (auto trans fluid) to mobil 1 to help protect from overheating. I will probably use pennzoil high milage for engine oil.

Later,
Matt.

Chicane 09-13-2003 11:37 PM

Actually, Mobil 1 won't provide any additional protection, it just won't break down like conventional ATF...which i guess is some form of protection. :|

- Rob