The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   ECU Tune Projects (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   need input on switch location for 2v7 (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42574)

YourConfused 12-31-2007 02:57 PM

need input on switch location for 2v7

I finally got around to putting the 2v7 in and now I need to put a switch someplace for the use of the other memory bank. I know there are several people on here who have a 2v7 installed and was wanting ideas on what you guys have done for a switch. I mainly want the switch to look stock if visible, or to be hidden.

crazyhorse 12-31-2007 03:17 PM

If your car isn't OBDII you could put it in the coin holder. I've also seen them in the rear seat ashtray.

Speedklix 12-31-2007 04:31 PM

which version of 2v7 did you get?
I got the NO2 controller, which needs to be connected to a momentary switch, which would pretty much be the same one you use to activate your NO2 system.... I have run mine to a switch which up until recently was in my ashtray... where I eventually planned on running it to a button on a shifter knob.

If you have an auto and have the "Flex" version which I believe need to remain energized (constant on), then you could wire it to the manual button on the auto shifter. About 99% of people are not going to use that switch anyway... "very stock"

YourConfused 12-31-2007 06:06 PM

I'm running the flex so I need a on/off switch. I like the idea of the manual button, and I would never thought of the rear ashtray. any other ideas?

superru 12-31-2007 06:28 PM

front ashtray. under the radio, if you dont' smoke it's great! make a little ABS panel and recess it into it about 3/4" then you can close the door and pop it open to reveal some nice micro toggle switches!

lhopp77 12-31-2007 07:35 PM

Obdi

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorse (Post 518554)
If your car isn't OBDII you could put it in the coin holder. I've also seen them in the rear seat ashtray.

The ECUTune chips can ONLY be installed in OBDI cars, so of course it has a coinholder. An alternative choice would be to buy a 94-97 shift cover trim piece with the switch built in to it and use that--well just an idea. However, the trim would be real plastic woodgrain pattern instead of the dark burl stuff in the 92 and 93.

Lee

YourConfused 01-01-2008 02:00 AM

Lee, just to verify what you are saying, please tell me what switch you are refering to. I am thinking something along the lines of adding another switch to the trim piece (lower left corner spot) that would just be another shift lock button. Is this what you mean? Maybe I need to find a picture...

Thanks for the ideas so far, and I use the ashtray for holding change as the stock change holder is worthless. This would present the obvious option of putting the switch in the stock change holder location, but would be too obvious and visually obtrusive for me as I can't think of a switch to go there that looks stock.

Hocrest 01-01-2008 08:23 AM

I used an extra heated mirror/parking light switch in the coin holder slot to turn off my power mirrror.

Looks completely stock unless you notice that it is a duplicate of the switches on the other side of the steering column.

lhopp77 01-01-2008 09:09 AM

Switch

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 518646)
Lee, just to verify what you are saying, please tell me what switch you are refering to. I am thinking something along the lines of adding another switch to the trim piece (lower left corner spot) that would just be another shift lock button. Is this what you mean? Maybe I need to find a picture...

The door lock switch on 94 and up SVXi is located on the trim surrounding the shift lever. I have included a pic. Please note that the trim COLOR and PATTERN is also a bit different than on the 92 and 93. It is lighter and looks more than woodgrain (if you can tell--mine is a bit dirty).

Lee

PS: Whoops forgot to resize pic so it is BIG. :o

crazyhorse 01-01-2008 10:45 AM

When I said the coin holder, I meant inside the coin holder. That way you can close the door & hide it.

Speedklix 01-01-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 518681)
The door lock switch on 94 and up SVXi is located on the trim surrounding the shift lever.

Doesn't work for this application.

for the manual button I would cut the wires on the body side, and simply supply one with a 12v splice from something nearby, like the cig lighter... attach the other to your stage 2 probe wire.

there is another stock switch to use as well. If you do not use your winter/summer switch under the dash... just wire it for with ever setting you prefer and wire your probe wire to it and tap your source again to the cig lighter. this also keeps your wires very localized. ECU is right there, and I believe the wire for the cig is nearby.

another idea is to get a covered toggle switch (so that it is not accidentally tripped) and mount it inside the glove box.

lhopp77 01-01-2008 01:55 PM

Really?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedklix (Post 518698)
Doesn't work for this application.

Whether it will work or not is not the issue. It will definitely work. The only issues are whether you want one that far away, willing to spend the time to track down the proper connect points, want to bother with locating the proper 94+ piece and would it be susceptible to accidental tripping. :)

Lee

Speedklix 01-01-2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 518724)
Whether it will work or not is not the issue. It will definitely work. The only issues are whether you want one that far away, willing to spend the time to track down the proper connect points, want to bother with locating the proper 94+ piece and would it be susceptible to accidental tripping. :)

Lee

whoa... that is really odd.
does that mean the 94+ also didn't have keyless entry available?
I can't say I have ever seen a car with electric door locks that can function in such a manner. Usually it is just vacuum setups that utilize a trigger which remains engaged, and even then they don't keep a current as it would kill the battery.

redlightningsvx 01-01-2008 09:04 PM

i've got door lock with no keyless entry. mine is a 94' Ls

RSVX 01-01-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 518681)
The door lock switch on 94 and up SVXi is located on the trim surrounding the shift lever. I have included a pic. Please note that the trim COLOR and PATTERN is also a bit different than on the 92 and 93. It is lighter and looks more than woodgrain (if you can tell--mine is a bit dirty).

Lee

PS: Whoops forgot to resize pic so it is BIG. :o

93s have center door lock controls as well.