The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   BrOkE TrAnSaXlE! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44577)

James Scott 05-01-2008 03:34 PM

BrOkE TrAnSaXlE!

YIKES! I noticed about 2 days ago a faint whirring noise coming from about the firewall. It got louder (still not too loud tho)...until this AM on the way to work...BROKE...THUD...THUD...THUD... It clunks about every three feet or so! Towed to my excellent mechanic, Kevin. He just called to tell me:

The REAR DRIVE FROM THE TRANSAXLE IS INOPERABLE...APPARENTLY THE SHAFT INSIDE THE TRANSAXLE THAT DRIVES THE REAR WHEELS BROKE (WITH BROKEN ENDS CLUNKING ON EACH OTHER)......It's important to state my Transaxle has been functioning fine otherwise. So, Kevin thinks that maybe just that rear drive axle broke...and the rest of the tranny is good?

(1) HELP!

(2) Can that part be fixed? Is this a "common" failure?

(3) How much for a repair/rebuild Transaxle if indicated?

(4) How much for a guaranteed used/rebuild Transaxle if indicated?

(5) PLEASE GIVE ANY INFO YOU HAVE ASAP...I WILL HAVE TO DECIDE SHORTLY WHETHER TO REPAIR (REAR AXLE ONLY) THE TRANSAXLE... OR TO REBUILD THE TRANSAXLE....OR TO INSTALL A REBUILT TRANSAXLE.......OR TRASH ( :( ) my SVX...???

THANKS for any HELP! :eek:
Jim (559) 240-4612

P.S. My mechanic Kevin (Arcane Auto) may contact the site for the same reason.

oab_au 05-01-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Scott (Post 545243)
YIKES! I noticed about 2 days ago a faint whirring noise coming from about the firewall. It got louder (still not too loud tho)...until this AM on the way to work...BROKE...THUD...THUD...THUD... It clunks about every three feet or so! Towed to my excellent mechanic, Kevin. He just called to tell me:

The REAR DRIVE FROM THE TRANSAXLE IS INOPERABLE...APPARENTLY THE SHAFT INSIDE THE TRANSAXLE THAT DRIVES THE REAR WHEELS BROKE (WITH BROKEN ENDS CLUNKING ON EACH OTHER)......It's important to state my Transaxle has been functioning fine otherwise. So, Kevin thinks that maybe just that rear drive axle broke...and the rest of the tranny is good?

(1) HELP!

(2) Can that part be fixed? Is this a "common" failure?

(3) How much for a repair/rebuild Transaxle if indicated?

(4) How much for a guaranteed used/rebuild Transaxle if indicated?

(5) PLEASE GIVE ANY INFO YOU HAVE ASAP...I WILL HAVE TO DECIDE SHORTLY WHETHER TO REPAIR (REAR AXLE ONLY) THE TRANSAXLE... OR TO REBUILD THE TRANSAXLE....OR TO INSTALL A REBUILT TRANSAXLE.......OR TRASH ( :( ) my SVX...???

THANKS for any HELP! :eek:
Jim (559) 240-4612

P.S. My mechanic Kevin (Arcane Auto) may contact the site for the same reason.

Jim the Transfer clutch housing can break the welds that fix it to the Transfer gear, so that the rear wheels won't drive. But that would only clunk when the front wheels spin, and the broken parts prevent the drive to the rear. If you were just driving forward gently, the broken parts would not clunk.

The sounds that you describe sounds more like the front diff, that would clunk every time a broken tooth come around.

Harvey.

James Scott 05-01-2008 05:33 PM

Hmmmmmmm?

Please tell me if there is any good alternatives (like someone has a good rebuilt Transaxle?)...CUZ.. The best offer I have here is to rebuild my Transaxle for $1595 (min charge) to $3500!

I don't think these cars are worth much more than $4000...ARE THEY? Could I get ANYTHING for my SVX...without a tranny?

Is it time for a "new" car...??? [I don't like change! My pooooor SVX!]

:mad::confused::o:eek::cool::rolleyes::mad:

PaulDexler 05-01-2008 05:59 PM

Rebuild costs

Jim,

After I paid $3600 for my '92 pearlie with 154,000 mi. on it, I drove it for 3,000 miles until one day it wouldn't go into first or reverse. Took it to the best tranny shop in town, they did a complete rebuild, including the front diff, for $2500. So now I have over $6K in the car, along with a two year unconditional warranty on the trans. and diff. Since I'm not planning to get rid of the car, but planning to enjoy it for some time to come, I figured that was just part of the investment. Yes, it wasn't cheap, but the car is worth it.

While I don't really believe the '97 that sold for $20K, a good, low mileage one is still worth more than $10K, and I think overall the values have bottomed. I look for a slow, slow, increased in the next few years, especially for really nice cars.

Paul

James Scott 05-01-2008 06:26 PM

AlRight!

So you'll buy mine!?

Ha! You know I have 172,000 miles on my '95 SVX. I love it...but it might be time to.....

OH! NO!...I can't! ....What was I thinking....?

OK...I have control of myself now. Tranny repair is unlike other services or repairs! You don't know how much it costs! A totally open-ended financial committment! [$1595 to $3500 is a hard deal to commit to...] Maybe $1595 to $2295....HUH? That I could relate to... I feel like a fool giving someone a committment to $3500...without ANY proof..or pre-knowledge!

If it went like yours did...I'd agree and wait for the fix!

Thanks for the thoughts...and your story!

Jim :D

bwb3 05-02-2008 08:24 AM

Check out Car-Part.com. You might find a local low mileage diff or even an entire tranny for a good price. I'm looking at buying a SVX with bad diff and have found a 40k mile '97 transmission for $500 (60 miles away) and a low mileage diff in SC for $200.00.
Gene

TomsSVX 05-02-2008 09:26 AM

send a PM to Hocrest, he has a good front diff available as far as I know which your mechanic can install... If the car is still at the mechanic's shop before assuming the worst, ask them to inspect the front axles for excessive play

Tom

wantafastsvx 05-02-2008 09:32 AM

what you described as happening sounds exactly like when my front diff blew out the front diff cover. A thud on every rotation no matter what speed. Very loud and sad sounding!

AFBeefcake 05-02-2008 03:02 PM

Time for a 5 speed? :D

wantafastsvx 05-02-2008 03:23 PM

Precisely what i did! :)