The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   found a SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33061)

badbasser98 05-04-2006 06:08 PM

found a SVX

I have been told about a SVX at a salvage yard. From what I have been told, body and such is in good shape. Most likely has engine problems. Would this car be worth buying for a project? And what are some common issues to look for with either the engine or tranny. I am completely new to the SVX world, but have owned two Legacy's.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
-BB98

SVX-FF 05-04-2006 06:17 PM

Welcome BB98
You have expensive taste in a project car. SVX parts are not that cheap and there is a limited aftermarket parts option.

I would get the vin and do a carfax report. Some SVX's have had nasty electrical, but very very few. Most 92's have a tranny problem that causes then to be but down. Rear wheel bearing are another little problem. You can use this information to help get the price down if you really want it. If there is a member in the area, see if they will go look at it with you.

At worst you will have a parts car. :D

Steve

badbasser98 05-04-2006 06:41 PM

Thanks for the guidance. I have wanted an SVX for some time, but gave up on it long ago becuase there aren't any around here. I have only ever seen one on the road, and it had Canadian plates. Just the look of the car amazed me. I had no clue what it was, but did see the SVX emblem. Then was shocked to find that it was a Subaru when I did some research online.

That being said. Are there any members that live in/near upstate NY?

thanks,
-BB98

immortal_suby 05-04-2006 07:05 PM

My dad is in upstate ny - rochester area with my other (his now) 92 ebony
Pearlywhites is in hilton with a pearl and black
I think there are a few more rochester area and some oswego svx's on the board here.
Which scrapyard is the svx in?

ensteele 05-04-2006 11:53 PM

Welcome to the site. :)

solarsvx 05-05-2006 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX-FF
Welcome BB98
You have expensive taste in a project car. SVX parts are not that cheap and there is a limited aftermarket parts option.

I would get the vin and do a carfax report. Some SVX's have had nasty electrical, but very very few. Most 92's have a tranny problem that causes then to be but down. Rear wheel bearing are another little problem. You can use this information to help get the price down if you really want it. If there is a member in the area, see if they will go look at it with you.

At worst you will have a parts car. :D

Steve

exactlty, there not easiest cars to work on and parts are rare. worst case use it as a parts car

nysvx10 05-05-2006 09:56 AM

Quote:

That being said. Are there any members that live in/near upstate NY?

thanks,
-BB98
I am from just a little out side of Syracuse, where is the salvage yard with this car?

badbasser98 05-05-2006 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nysvx10
I am from just a little out side of Syracuse, where is the salvage yard with this car?

near the plattsburgh area... In other words, Canada to you southern people :)

Due to so many people speaking negatively of the car, I have reverted back to my previous plan of getting an Impreza. I know, everyone and thier brother has one. However I still have my Legacy which I am modding to an extent as well. I will be in search of a 98-99 2.5 RS should you know of one for sale in the North East. Also, I have not been able to contact the owner in two days.

If anyone is interested in the car for a parts car, let me know and I can persue it more and get the contact info for you and any other info you request.

Thank you much for the info and advice.
-BB98

badbasser98 08-12-2006 01:05 PM

*back from the dead*

I have found another SVX (this one is on the road and runs). I am most likely going to see it the week of the 20th. It is a MY92 with 155k on it. Anything I should look for? I know people have said the 92's have tranny issues, what should I look for to know if this one does?

Thanks in advance,
-BB98

badbasser98 08-12-2006 06:39 PM

Arg.. The owner just notified me that he sold it :(

nysvx10 08-12-2006 11:07 PM

Last time I checked the paper I think there were a few in the Syracuse area, if interested.