The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   flowmaster (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3041)

ironsvxjr 03-08-2002 06:55 AM

flowmaster

Okay guys I need to know what you think of a flowmaster 40 series delta force for my 92 svx. I have been looking around the net for a while and am now contemplating on whether to go through with this.

wasions 03-08-2002 07:38 AM

Izzat some kinda bathroom faucet?

Actually, isn't the 40 series called Delta Flow? (That's what it says on their web site.) The Delta Force is categorized under race applications.

It's your car - but personally, I'd be rather upset if someone were banging pans while I was trying to drive my luxo-tourer. Love the quiet. More noise helps no-one, and is not likely to give a horsepower return either.

But - like - it's your car, right? :rolleyes:

RRX 03-08-2002 07:45 AM

Go for it. I like this SVX with some Rumble to it

EverclearAtMSU 03-08-2002 11:55 AM

*wonders when stock boy will get on his soap box* :p

Mr. Pockets 03-08-2002 12:02 PM

Re: Izzat some kinda bathroom faucet?

Quote:

Originally posted by wasions
Actually, isn't the 40 series called Delta Flow? (That's what it says on their web site.) The Delta Force is categorized under race applications.

It's your car - but personally, I'd be rather upset if someone were banging pans while I was trying to drive my luxo-tourer. Love the quiet. More noise helps no-one, and is not likely to give a horsepower return either.

But - like - it's your car, right? :rolleyes:

I agree. The number one reason for 'upgrading' exhaust, whether the upgraders admit it or not, is to make a loud noise so people reflexively look in that direction.

'Look at me! Look at me!' Bah - the SVX already gets looks.

It's not a race car, it's a luxury car.

Aredubjay 03-08-2002 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU
*wonders when stock boy will get on his soap box* :p

Wonder no more, my fine purple passion base ingredient nicknamed friend.

Even as "stock boy" I respect peoples rights to do what they want with their vehicles. You have to live with it, so have it the way you want it, unless it makes it unsafe for others on the road, or makes some of us "purists" hurl. :D

I've heard SVXes with modified exhausts and they all sound . . . please forgive the term, I mean no disrespect . . . "ricey." If you could get a real "muscle car rumble" that's one thing, but the SVX will not "rumble." If you could get the high pitched "zingyness" of a fine tuned Ferrari, that's another thing. But, the SVX is not tuned to "zing."

The best you're going to get is "ricey" on the outside and the sound of thousands of rabid bumble bees in a coffee can on the inside -- if that's the sound you're going for -- more power to ya. :D

And that's "stock boy's'" dose-o-soap for da day. :D

EverclearAtMSU 03-08-2002 12:59 PM

Re: Re: Izzat some kinda bathroom faucet?

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

It's not a race car, it's a luxury car.

That's what the "super" justy is for ;)

Seraph 03-08-2002 01:04 PM

Flow masters are nice. They work well. I have never tried them on the SVX though. I have on Camaros and they sound great -- I also love to wake up people at nights.

If you just want a slighty deeper sound, chop off your resonator. That will do it for you. Otherwise, it will be hard to emulate the sounds of porches or what ever high end race car you are trying to emulate. I know porches have 6 cylc. engines too but the firing order is different and that will throw off the sound even if you put a porche exaust on the SVX.

Most of the time, it will be trial and error. Be warned though. But I am all up for a slightly lower rumble on the SVX.

Lwin

EverclearAtMSU 03-08-2002 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraphim
-- I also love to wake up people at nights.

that's why they have subwoofers :D

although I do like a nice loud exaust. You can always remove the thing complealty :p talk about a nice roar! The 914 had that for a while, I never thought a 4 cyl. could produce such a noise :rolleyes:

1994SubaruSVX 03-08-2002 02:20 PM

oh randy and steve.......

will you purists ever give up. :rolleyes:

my svx is far from ricey. the rice boys wish their hondas and mitsu's could sound as good.

although the gains will be minimal and really only felt at the top end they are gains nonetheless. plus most of us modders do so because we dont want a svx just like everyone else. we want it to sound different and even look a little different. instead of modified i consider my svx enhanced. check the locker, look at the pics, they should speak for themselves. :cool: :p (last smiley for randy):)

Mr. Pockets 03-08-2002 02:59 PM

Re: oh randy and steve.......

Quote:

Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
will you purists ever give up. :rolleyes:
I don't know about Randy and Steve, but I'll stop as soon as people stop asking about mods in the wrong forum. I make an appearance in 'mod mania' all of like once a month because I would be preaching stock left and right in that forum.

If you don't want to hear a 'purist' opinion, then you're posting about mods in the wrong thread.

1994SubaruSVX 03-08-2002 03:20 PM

this guy was obviously new.

but you purists have got to realize that the stock muffler not only eliminates all the wonderful sound the H-6 makes it also chokes it. i want my car to breathe. i opened up the exhaust and installed a k&n. my exhaust isnt radical. two and a quarter inch pipe. higher flowing center cat. two standard sized magnaflows instead of the big hunk of junk stock muffler. it is simple logic when you think about it pockets.

just remember that although the stock svx has wonderful performance, it was designed to be silent and come well below emissions standards.

Mr. Pockets 03-08-2002 03:26 PM

Re: this guy was obviously new.

Quote:

but you purists have got to realize that the stock muffler not only eliminates all the wonderful sound the H-6 makes it also chokes it. i want my car to breathe. i opened up the exhaust and installed a k&n. my exhaust isnt radical. two and a quarter inch pipe. higher flowing center cat. two standard sized magnaflows instead of the big hunk of junk stock muffler. it is simple logic when you think about it pockets.

just remember that although the stock svx has wonderful performance, it was designed to be silent and come well below emissions standards.

It's simple logic when you apply your values. I don't want more engine noise - I just want the car to be quiet and comfortable, the way it was designed. It'd be one thing if it was underpowered, but it's not.

It's not the 'simple logic' that you think it is. I'm not saying that modifying the car and trading quiet for performance doesn't fit your needs and wants. I'm saying that the post was in the wrong forum if you want us purists to 'give up.'

My friend's 3000GT makes a nice sort of rumble. It's sorta cool - but then it fits that car. The 3000GT is an unrefined, stiff sports car. The SVX is a luxury tourer. It's simple logic when you think about it, Leo.

Aredubjay 03-08-2002 03:53 PM

Re: this guy was obviously new.

Quote:

You only "think" you're letting your car breathe. You need to check out Martin Reiger's dissertation on how the SVX exhaust system is designed to work. You might try doing a search on "resonator" since I think the discussion on removing it was the catalyst (no pun intended) for his response. :)

deadeye95 03-08-2002 05:54 PM

Visualize the mods in this website in 2012, after all the parts are gone....

The "Legacy tranny" replacement poineered by Aredubjay in the early 00's will become the standard.

I'll do the "sawed off broomstick" shifter replacement by heatshrink tubing the stick to what is left of the shifter (inspired by Chuck Yeager).

We'll all be interested in the "toggle switch" window switch replacement.

Many layers of clear paint will have to be painted over our windshields to help them hold after 50 repairs each.

I'm OEM 'till then.