The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   bad news! difrentials (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12412)

solarsvx 08-04-2003 07:34 AM

bad news! difrentials

well last friday my front difrentials deicded to go out on the way home from work. the car would not go anywhere so i had to get it towed abought 4 miles.

whene i got it home i jacked the front wheels off the ground put it FWD mode and spun the wheels freely shure enough loud grinding sound coming from the middle of the car. and small pieces of metal in the fluid.

do any of u guys know how much this part is,, or how it could have hapened im going to do a search also, i know its a major job and undertaking the transmsion has to come apart.

thanks for any help or opinions u maye have,

ww111 08-04-2003 07:50 AM

I pick mine up today for the same thing...
$425 for the ring and pinion. plus shipping. (and installation)

One tooth was off of the ring gear.

odd

Collins
92 pearlie

solarsvx 08-04-2003 07:59 AM

425 ?? that included removing and installing the transmsions ? how much for parts and where did u get it?

ww111 08-04-2003 08:23 AM

The repair shop had to get it from the local Subaru Dealer. Price DID NOT include installation. (but they had the tranny out to do warrantee repair work)

Best of luck. There is a tranny on e-bay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2426369949
but I wouldn't recomend the seller.

Collins

solarsvx 08-04-2003 02:48 PM

ww111

the transmsion only has abought 10,000 on it since its rebuild 10 months ago.. but they wont waranty the fron difrential,

im geting major price difrences for replacemnt, and there is a bulletion that the gear ratios have change that the hypoid and reduction gears has to be changes also , ?>

of any one has expereinced or input would be greatly apreciated here..

does the difrentials come out seperatly. it lookslike it does in the diagrams, ?

i got a proce quote of

141.00 from subaru parts .com
590.00 from svxparts.com "aubrun subaru"
1,892 from a local subaru dealership in orlando ?

part number pt280397 seem to be the most expensive looks to be the main shaft,, i guess called the hypoid

ww111 08-04-2003 02:59 PM

Yep, I just got the bad news as well...
Car won't be done till Wednesday... Something has changed and it's more than the ring and pinion that have to be changed. Make sure Subaru Parts is quoting you ALL of the parts you need. It also sounds like your dealer is quoting the Diff assy (for $1800). That's the same price I got.

what a drag. I've been W/O th ecar for a month...

Aredubjay 08-04-2003 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by solarsvx
ww111

the transmsion only has abought 10,000 on it since its rebuild 10 months ago.. but they wont waranty the fron difrential,

im geting major price difrences for replacemnt, and there is a bulletion that the gear ratios have change that the hypoid and reduction gears has to be changes also , ?>

of any one has expereinced or input would be greatly apreciated here..

does the difrentials come out seperatly. it lookslike it does in the diagrams, ?

i got a proce quote of

141.00 from subaru parts .com
590.00 from svxparts.com "aubrun subaru"
1,892 from a local subaru dealership in orlando ?

part number pt280397 seem to be the most expensive looks to be the main shaft,, i guess called the hypoid

These rebuilders, reputable as they may be, are obviously having trouble with the tranny/front diff assembly. Although my front diff hasn't gone completely inop, there is apparently a bearing or seal that's going out (diff grease leaking into tranny, rubbing noise as if brakes are stuck, coming from front diff). Dunno what they're doing, but, maybe we should take a poll as to how many people have this problem after a "reputable rebuild" from an independent shop.

svx_commuter 08-05-2003 05:25 AM

I am really sorry to hear about the FRont Diff problems you are having. That really isn't fun. :(
My transmission is still working okay but continues to have a noise coming from the front when engine braking. I know that when the time comes I will be going back to Subaru for a remanufactured trans. They include the front diff and planetary gears in their 2 year warrantee. Basically everything in the trans and diff housings is covered.