The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need help after engine reseal and cam install (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52472)

sowise 12-03-2009 04:48 AM

Need help after engine reseal and cam install

It has been a while since I pulled the engine apart because I have been waiting on parts orders to get it back together.

Here is my problem and question, for the most part I believe I followed the manual when removing the valve covers, intake and exhaust cams, and heads. I did the left side first. What I remember before taking it apart was I had all my timing marks aligned, I don't remember if I did anything to the left side when removing i.e. rotating cams to a different position. When I installed the cams the slots on the end of the shaft and the cam marks were lined up as per the manual (aimed downward). Everything went together fine. I can put the pulley on the exhaust cam and my timing marks are lined up.

The right side was then removed and installed with the cam shaft slots aimed up and the alignment marks as per the manual. At this point is where I get confused. When I mount the pulley it does not line up with the timing marks. So did I do something wrong? I must have missed a step or been in a hurry. Do I have to take one or both sides apart? Can I or should I even try to rotate the crank? I don't want to damage anything but this is where I am stuck and now I have all my parts for reinstall just waiting....

sowise 12-03-2009 03:00 PM

Re: Need help after engine reseal and cam install

Bump.... I am hoping to keep this from falling from view since I could use the help still.

TomsSVX 12-03-2009 05:03 PM

No the pulleys do not match the cam marks. As long as you had the notches for the pullies the same way Ex. cam up intake cam up.... visa versa it will be ok

Tom

gbianchi 12-03-2009 05:05 PM

Not real familiar with this job on the svx, but on a 2.2 there is no way to mount the pully wrong, the timing marks on the gears may in fact not have to line up with the pully as the pully has its own marks for timing with the crank, clear as mud?? Sorry I'm not more help, there are others who should chime in..................G
oooh typing at the same time

kwren 12-03-2009 05:31 PM

I believe the cam shafts make one revolution every time the crank shaft makes two. if the cam pully markes and crank all line up, wrong can't happen.

Keith:cool:

sowise 12-03-2009 06:28 PM

Thanks for the responses so far, so with the left side pully mounted it is lined up with the Timing marks and the right side pully mounted the pulley timing marks don't line up on that side yet the crank and the left side are lined up. So if I rotate the crank would that move all the positions at the same time so either the right side will never line up with the crank and left side cam pulley or it will slowly rotate into position with the crank and left?

TomsSVX 12-03-2009 06:30 PM

No, just rotate the R/S pulley to line it up. Install the belt and your are done

Tom

sowise 12-03-2009 06:38 PM

Thanks Tom I will give that a shot I was worried that all rotation had to come from the crank.

TomsSVX 12-03-2009 06:43 PM

No, feel free to turn the cams as much as you want. it is a non interference engine so at no point can the pistons touch the valves

Tom

sowise 12-03-2009 08:02 PM

Yep that was it I was being overly cautious and didn't want to force the right side to turn without knowing it would not mess anything up. Thanks! :)