The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   carbon fiber wrap sway bar?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43007)

lilbrudder 01-27-2008 11:19 PM

carbon fiber wrap sway bar??

i havn't worked with carbon fiber yet(looks like a similar process to FG), but maybe someone here has. i was watching a little piece on tv about carbon fiber being used for stiffening structures and i got to wondering if this could be applied to our sway bars? now i know it sounds unlikely but from what i saw, it might just work and be able to be done at your own home at a fraction of the cost of getting costom ones made. the fronts seem problematic but the rears might work pretty easily. does anyone here have experiance with structural carbon fiber wrap that can put this into perspective?

Hondasucks 01-27-2008 11:24 PM

I don't think it'd work for a sway bar since there's too much twist/flex, it'd crack.

odepaj 01-27-2008 11:24 PM

I dont think Carbon Fiber would help with torsional rigidity?

subbieatnz 01-27-2008 11:45 PM

aircraft type allumium wuld be better ???? if you could afford it

lilbrudder 01-28-2008 12:04 AM

it should help with the torsional rigidity if you wrap end to end. stiffness is one of it's main characteristics.

the big question is will it crack? this is where we need someone with experiance. think about some of the cf aplications these days, wheels, strut bars, frames, axles, bodys, masts(boats), everything for race cars and high end street cars, pretty much anything you want to make stronger, stiffer, lighter(like our sway bars).

odepaj 01-28-2008 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbrudder (Post 523959)
it should help with the torsional rigidity if you wrap end to end. stiffness is one of it's main characteristics.

the big question is will it crack? this is where we need someone with experiance. think about some of the cf aplications these days, wheels, strut bars, frames, axles, bodys, masts(boats), everything for race cars and high end street cars, pretty much anything you want to make stronger, stiffer, lighter(like our sway bars).

IDK, maybe im having a huge brain fart right now. But I really don't see how carbon fiber has torsional strength.

Dustin

lilbrudder 01-28-2008 12:42 AM

they wouldn't make driveshafts out of cf if it didn't have torsional strenght.

odepaj 01-28-2008 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbrudder (Post 523972)
they wouldn't make driveshafts out of cf if it didn't have torsional strenght.

Ahh good point.

lilbrudder 01-28-2008 12:57 AM

just did a google search for carbon fiber torsional strength and came up with many places saying it has 3 times the ts of steel:eek:!

SVXRide 01-28-2008 08:55 AM

The issue you're going to have with a sway bar is that it has "arms", unlike a driveshaft. CF will work if you go with a three piece set up, but then you've got issues with putting splines on the end of the main bar so it engages with the arms.
-Bill

dcarrb 01-28-2008 10:40 AM

Carbon fiber may indeed have torsional strength but I don't believe you'll find it in many applications where repetitive flexing is required. You want springiness, not rigidity. And if you wrap a sway bar with the stuff (as the 2x4 was wrapped in the TV show cited, "Smashlab,") I suspect it will de-laminate from the steel in a hurry.

dcb

lilbrudder 01-28-2008 11:30 AM

i wonder if shaving off 6 flat spots around the bar the whole length(if you took a vertical cross-section it would look like the hex head of a bolt) useing a grinder would keep it from delaminating?
as for the repetitive tension, i would think that a cf control arms are subject to similar forces. also cross braces for airplane wings.

odepaj 01-28-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbrudder (Post 524033)
i wonder if shaving off 6 flat spots around the bar the whole length(if you took a vertical cross-section it would look like the hex head of a bolt) useing a grinder would keep it from delaminating?
as for the repetitive tension, i would think that a cf control arms are subject to similar forces. also cross braces for airplane wings.

Those types of things dont go through the same flexing as a sway bar.

lilbrudder 01-28-2008 01:00 PM

i found cf sway bars for quads, but of course they weigh much less.
doesn't anyone have experience with this stuff, we need some kind of expert here to give us some concrete facts.

SVXRide 01-28-2008 02:38 PM

I would love to see any CF sway bar that exists. My engineering training (and limited experience with CF) tells me that a single piece CF bar just won't work, given the inherent loading the bar sees and the inherent performance characteristics of CF.
-Bill