The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   "Antique" fuel pump? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41149)

dcarrb 10-08-2007 06:00 AM

"Antique" fuel pump?

Saturday, while weed-whacking on an embankment below my house, I unearthed an automotive-type mechanical fuel pump with a glass bowl. Anyone have an idea how long it has been when such a thing was commonly used in the auto industry? I'm curious about its age (guessing 1950s-early 60s). Thanks.

dcb

crazyhorse 10-08-2007 06:14 AM

With a glass bowl?
I'd guess it dates back to the 30's early 40's. By the 50's they were in thier final places on the engines, cam driven & on the lower side of the engine. Also by then, they were all metal.
A pic would be helpful, I could likely I.D. it.

dcarrb 10-08-2007 06:54 AM

Thick glass bowl, clear and intact. It was the glint of glass in the dirt that caught my eye.

Just last weekend, in my gravel driveway, I found a sturdy badge (probably brass) from a letter carriers' convention: "Centennial Jubilee 1839-1939."

Picture? Well, I'd have to get the film developed. No, really. I want to know how old this thing is because I like to collect stuff that's been around longer than I have. This is becoming increasingly difficult.

dcb

JaySVX 10-08-2007 01:08 PM

I have a 79 new holland tractor and an 87 cub cadet tractor with glass bowls in the fuel lines. I don't think they have fuel pumps though.

dcarrb 10-08-2007 02:38 PM

It occurred to me that this could come have come from something other than an automobile. Definitely a cam-driven fuel pump, though.

dcb

benebob 10-08-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 498622)
It occurred to me that this could come have come from something other than an automobile. Definitely a cam-driven fuel pump, though.

dcb

Aliens?:D Got pics?

rallyingrob 10-09-2007 03:55 PM

geez and i thought MY yard needed cleaning!!!
lol

lemme know if u find a 4eat layin 'round.......

rob" 3 spare transmissions is never enuff"m.
:)

Trevor 10-09-2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorse (Post 498547)
With a glass bowl?
I'd guess it dates back to the 30's early 40's. By the 50's they were in thier final places on the engines, cam driven & on the lower side of the engine. Also by then, they were all metal.
A pic would be helpful, I could likely I.D. it.

Spot on.

In particular, many British cars had a cam operated fuel pump incorporating a filter with an easily removed glass bowl, so that collected debris was visible.

These sensible designs also usually also incorporated a hand lever, to facilitate priming the carburetor, as well as testing for fuel flow.

dcarrb 10-10-2007 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rallyingrob

This house dates from the 1930s, near as I can tell. In those days, in rural Appalachia, absent municipal trash collection, folks just tossed things like cast-off car parts down the bank into the weeds. Ideally, that is. I dug up the remains of a Purolator oil filter when I erected my mailbox.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor
In particular, many British cars had a cam operated fuel pump incorporating a filter with an easily removed glass bowl, so that collected debris was visible.

I noticed there appeared to be a cylindrical, screen filter of sorts inside the bowl.

dcb

svxistentialist 10-10-2007 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 498551)

No, really. I want to know how old this thing is because I like to collect stuff that's been around longer than I have. This is becoming increasingly difficult.

dcb

:lol::lol:

I like it!:D

You are probably being a little too hard on yourself here.

subi-crosser 10-11-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rallyingrob (Post 498984)
lol

lemme know if u find a 4eat layin 'round.......

rob" 3 spare transmissions is never enuff"m.

I know a girl that rented a 'suburban' house. When her brother cut the grass and weeds, he found a 1054 Ford Station wagon!

subi-crosser 10-11-2007 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 498551)
Thick glass bowl, clear and intact. It was the glint of glass in the dirt that caught my eye.

Just last weekend, in my gravel driveway, I found a sturdy badge (probably brass) from a letter carriers' convention: "Centennial Jubilee 1839-1939."

Picture? Well, I'd have to get the film developed. No, really. I want to know how old this thing is because I like to collect stuff that's been around longer than I have. This is becoming increasingly difficult.

dcb

Other than tractors, the last thing that I knew of that had glass sediment bowls was in the late 50's.

Ron Mummert 10-12-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser (Post 499701)
I know a girl that rented a 'suburban' house. When her brother cut the grass and weeds, he found a 1054 Ford Station wagon!

Hey, Jerry - Just proves them pre-crusade models were built to last.

Ron.;)

nextse7en 10-12-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subi-crosser (Post 499701)

How many horses does that thing have?

Oh, yeah, they're all dead by now.