The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Timing hole plug (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36997)

dannmarr 01-16-2007 01:20 PM

Timing hole plug

Any ideas on how to keep this thing from falling off? Mine doesn't stay put.

huck369 01-16-2007 01:40 PM

My answer was to just leave it off....

michael 01-17-2007 05:58 AM

If I knew where it was i'd offer some advise. Mabey a little silicone would do it and it cleans up well when you have to. I wouldn't want to drive around with any open holes given the messy winters up here. KY might not have constant road salt like we do :mad:

huck369 01-17-2007 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael
If I knew where it was i'd offer some advise. Mabey a little silicone would do it and it cleans up well when you have to. I wouldn't want to drive around with any open holes given the messy winters up here. KY might not have constant road salt like we do :mad:

We use salt down here....just that we hardly ever get any snow anymore:rolleyes:

And the little hole it covers is open to the bellhousing, kind of under the throttle body on the passenger side....and the inside of the bell housing is open all the way across the bottom, so that little hole up top isn't really saving it from the elements....might even be good for rinsing it out....;)

oab_au 01-17-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369
We use salt down here....just that we hardly ever get any snow anymore:rolleyes:

And the little hole it covers is open to the bellhousing, kind of under the throttle body on the passenger side....and the inside of the bell housing is open all the way across the bottom, so that little hole up top isn't really saving it from the elements....might even be good for rinsing it out....;)

Yes Huck it might also help with a bit of air cooling.:D I remember when converters had fins on the converter case, to air cool the ATF.:)

Harvey.;)

Trevor 01-17-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au
Yes Huck it might also help with a bit of air cooling.:D I remember when converters had fins on the converter case, to air cool the ATF.:)

Harvey.;)

Harvey, you are still capable of hot air, but shy clear of standing up and being counted. :p

Earthworm 06-15-2007 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr
Any ideas on how to keep this thing from falling off? Mine doesn't stay put.

Replace it. The plug has little tabs to hold it in and have probably broken off line mine did. New one fits like a glove and doesn't come out.

dannmarr 06-15-2007 05:48 PM

I took care of that with a little silicone.:D

benebob 06-15-2007 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael

That's malarky Michael! ;) My XT6 has been coverless for 30k and the belts look good as new. Plus the added benefit is you can actually replace them by the side of the road if need be without the hastle of a stinking cover. Besides, it looks so much better w/o 'em.:)