The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pluralizing SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49061)

AyeJaye 02-09-2009 06:58 PM

Pluralizing SVX

So one thing I've noticed in all my readings here, it seems that people choose to pluralize SVX in a couple different ways. I've seen SVX's, and SVXi both used frequently on here. What is your preference, and why do you feel its better.

I personally feel that SVX is like deer or elk, it should be spelled the same singular and plural. Not sure exactly why I feel that way, it just seems natural to me. (Strangely enough I could easily see a large group of SVX referred to as a herd of SVX. Kind of emphasizes the rarity of our cars :lol: )

SoCal LS-L 02-09-2009 07:07 PM

Re: Pluralizing SVX

My understanding is the SVXi was higher end SVX in the later years.... a rename of the LS-L. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong :lol:

tiv0 02-09-2009 07:19 PM

ive always liked SVXi

but i tend to add an "i" to the end of words to make them plural...even if it doesnt make sense

subeman90 02-09-2009 07:42 PM

I use svxi cause it makes me sound more smarter. :lol:

Hondasucks 02-09-2009 08:11 PM

I put other because even though SVXi sounds interesting, pluralizing a noun with an i only applies to Latin nouns/pronouns, and the other choice, SVX's is not correct since 's indicates possession, not plurality.

I asked my wife, since she works in the reading, writing, and study skills lab at Linn-Benton Community College and has a handy little guide for such things, and she says that the correct pluralization is "SVXes."

wyldnwoody44 02-09-2009 08:17 PM

Im with hondasux with svx'es it just rolls off the tounge nicely!!

mysvxrocks 02-09-2009 08:57 PM

I always used SVXii, lol. Just liked the sound of it. I dont care if the grammar isnt right :p

As for the higher end thing, the 92 and 92 has LS-L, and after that, the high end was LS-i

The breakdown is

92 - LS, LS-L
93 - LS-L
94 - LE, L, LS, LS-i
95 - L, LS, LS-i
96 - L, LS, LS-i
97 - And I think 97 only had LS-i, correct me if Im wrong

But SVXi is only used in reference to multiple SVXi, SVXs, SVX'es lol

ensteele 02-10-2009 12:33 AM

I use SVXes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

svxcess 02-10-2009 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 586827)

Sounds like a lazy way of saying "SVXess"

svxistentialist 02-10-2009 04:38 AM

I use SVXs, which is close to SVXes I suppose.

A lot of people use the latin SVXi, which is cute but technically incorrect. For it to be correct the singular would need to be SVXus.

And it isn't. :rolleyes:

Joe :)

[My wife has a problem with me pluralising. She says I have too many of them!]

dcarrb 02-10-2009 05:19 AM

SVXs, no apostrophe. Plural means more than one, while an apostrophe conveys possession: There are two SVXs in the SVX's garage.

dcb

shelfy 02-10-2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 586841)
SVXs, no apostrophe. Plural means more than one, while an apostrophe conveys possession: There are two SVXs in the SVX's garage.

dcb

ding ding ding!

SVXRide 02-10-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondasucks (Post 586792)
I put other because even though SVXi sounds interesting, pluralizing a noun with an i only applies to Latin nouns/pronouns, and the other choice, SVX's is not correct since 's indicates possession, not plurality.

I asked my wife, since she works in the reading, writing, and study skills lab at Linn-Benton Community College and has a handy little guide for such things, and she says that the correct pluralization is "SVXes."

Yep, that's the correct "pluralization":lol: (think I just created a new word...). That said, I still voted for SVXi :D
-Bill

bheinen74 02-10-2009 10:22 AM

some say moose, meese, or meeses. goose, gooses, geese

SVX, SVooxe, Sveex.

RSVX 02-10-2009 12:44 PM

been discussed ad-nauseum, a search is in order.

subeman90 02-10-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSVX (Post 586872)
been discussed ad-nauseum, a search is in order.

yeah but what was old is "new" again. :lol:

SilverSpear 02-10-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 586827)

You literally do! :lol:

ensteele 02-10-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 586877)
You literally do! :lol:

Yes, Yes I do! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hondasucks 02-10-2009 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 586841)

dcb

Technically in that sense, the apostrophe would come AFTER the S, since the garage belongs to both cars. Like the house that belongs to your parents, is your parents' house, since parents is plural, if you said parent's house, it would imply that it belongs to only one parent :P Also, the e is in there before the S cuz the word ends in X, the same as certain other words like clutch(es). That one does have a rule too but I don't know it off the top of my head and my wife is busy with homework, but basically think of how you say it, you don't say "clutchs" you say "clutch-ezz". When my wife is not doing homework I'll dig out here little grammar rule book and find it.

NikFu S. 02-10-2009 11:52 PM

I say SVXi because I just prefer to not use an 's' sound right after an 'x' sound.

"eSVeeeX-iz"
Gross.

"eSVeeeX-ee"
:thumbs:

"eSVeeeX-ai"
You're doing it wrong.

svxistentialist 02-11-2009 04:34 AM

Great thread.

Grammer nazis rool.

:rolleyes: :lol:

LarryIII 02-11-2009 05:01 AM

I like SVXes; as in 'people that own SVXes are called SVXers'.

dcarrb 02-11-2009 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondasucks (Post 586973)
Technically in that sense, the apostrophe would come AFTER the S, since the garage belongs to both cars. Like the house that belongs to your parents, is your parents' house, since parents is plural, if you said parent's house, it would imply that it belongs to only one parent :P Also, the e is in there before the S cuz the word ends in X, the same as certain other words like clutch(es). That one does have a rule too but I don't know it off the top of my head and my wife is busy with homework, but basically think of how you say it, you don't say "clutchs" you say "clutch-ezz". When my wife is not doing homework I'll dig out here little grammar rule book and find it.

Correct, if something belongs to more than one, it is indeed s-apostrophe.

On the add-an-e thing, you're probably right. I was a solid "D" student in high school English. Grammatical rules make my head swim, so I make my own.

They you have folks who think they're covering all the bases by adding an apostrophe before EVERY S: Sunday's, peach's, banana's...

dcb

svxistentialist 02-11-2009 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryIII (Post 586993)
I like SVXes; as in 'people that own SVXes are called SVXers'.

Well Larry, we could reasonably use the possessive in this case, such as SVX'rs.

Because the cars own us! :eek:

Joe :rolleyes: