The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   transmission filter, cooler, CONFUSED (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=786)

ehyde111 07-04-2001 09:29 PM

transmission filter, cooler, CONFUSED

I just purchased a 1992 SVX LS-L with 123,000 miles. It is a one-owner vehicle who was maticulu about maintenance. Everything done at the dealer at regular intervals. The quesiton I have is I am not sure if the external tranny filter was installed. The only reference I can see if from June 1993 at 6k miles

"138-321 A/T OIL COOLER HOSE UPDATE
16 WS 0.70
1 X4551PA000 SVX HOSE KIT
FC: MEF54
PART# X4551PA000"

I can't imagine he wouldn't have had the update done. Could someone verify if this is it. I've looked for it in the engine bay under the battery but really don't know what to look for. Where exactly should it be.

I'd like to put a tranny cooler in. If there was in fact no filter update, is there anything I can do to that little screen filter that clogs?

thanks
Chris

Aredubjay 07-04-2001 10:27 PM

Re: transmission filter, cooler, CONFUSED

Quote:

Originally posted by ehyde111
I just purchased a 1992 SVX LS-L with 123,000 miles. It is a one-owner vehicle who was maticulu about maintenance. Everything done at the dealer at regular intervals. The quesiton I have is I am not sure if the external tranny filter was installed. The only reference I can see if from June 1993 at 6k miles

"138-321 A/T OIL COOLER HOSE UPDATE
16 WS 0.70
1 X4551PA000 SVX HOSE KIT
FC: MEF54
PART# X4551PA000"

I can't imagine he wouldn't have had the update done. Could someone verify if this is it. I've looked for it in the engine bay under the battery but really don't know what to look for. Where exactly should it be.

I'd like to put a tranny cooler in. If there was in fact no filter update, is there anything I can do to that little screen filter that clogs?

thanks
Chris

The filter would be a black cylindrical object at the bottom of the radiator on the battery side. It looks almost like your fuel filter. Nothing can really be done about the screen, aside from changing your radiator. I'd install the cooler as soon as possible, just in case. If you bypass the stock cooler, or place the cooler in parallel, you won't have the screen to worry about.

Aredubjay 07-05-2001 03:26 PM

For simplicity's sake, I've added a pic of the location of the ATF filter in my locker. It's circled in red. Hope it helps.

(Photo courtesy KuoH3)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...dubjay/568.jpg

ehyde111 07-06-2001 03:13 AM

transmission filter, cooler, CONFUSED

Thanks for the pic. That confirms my suspiscion that the external filter is not there. I can't believe it! The previous owner was so maticulous about maintenance. ANyway, I have the kit ordered. By the way, does it come with instructions?

Thanks again for the info
Chris

Aredubjay 07-06-2001 08:15 AM

Re: transmission filter, cooler, CONFUSED

Quote:

Thanks for the pic. That confirms my suspiscion that the external filter is not there. I can't believe it! The previous owner was so maticulous about maintenance. ANyway, I have the kit ordered. By the way, does it come with instructions?

Thanks again for the info
Chris

Yes, Chris. Instructions are included as well as all hoses, clamps and necessary mounting hardware. I can't believe it hadn't been installed either. Hmmmmm. Well, good luck on your install and, enjoy your car. I know I have.

ehyde111 07-17-2001 08:50 PM

Re:transmission filter, cooler, CONFUSED

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Yes, Chris. Instructions are included as well as all hoses, clamps and necessary mounting hardware. I can't believe it hadn't been installed either. Hmmmmm. Well, good luck on your install and, enjoy your car. I know I have.

My external filter kit came today, but without instructions. In two days, the SVX is going into the shop to have a B&M cooler, ATF flush and refill with Redline synthetic, and install of this external filter. As I said there were no instructions. Does anyone have the procedure already written up? If not, shoud the mechanic at the transmission shop know how to put it in without instructions.

Thanks

ehyde111 07-17-2001 08:54 PM

Re: Re:transmission filter, cooler, CONFUSED

Quote:

My external filter kit came today, but without instructions. In two days, the SVX is going into the shop to have a B&M cooler, ATF flush and refill with Redline synthetic, and install of this external filter. As I said there were no instructions. Does anyone have the procedure already written up? If not, shoud the mechanic at the transmission shop know how to put it in without instructions.

Thanks

I just found the link to the TSBs that pretty much have is spelled out.

THanks,
Chris

Aredubjay 07-17-2001 09:17 PM

Re: Re:transmission filter, cooler, CONFUSED

Quote:

Thanks

Gee whillikers, what's the world coming to? Glad you found the TSB though. Happy trails.