The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Oh Microsoft, how you dissapoint. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43001)

Crazy_pilot 01-27-2008 06:05 PM

Oh Microsoft, how you dissapoint.

So my XBox 360 decided to give me the Red Ring of Death yesterday. :mad:

I wouldn't care so much, as I bought a 2 year service plan from Best Buy that covers everything except gravity and floods (intentional damage), but when I tried to exchange it today I was told that since I bought it less than a year ago Microsoft is who I have to deal with. They will most likely need me to ship them the 360, so they can take it apart. Supposedly they will send me a new one and reimburse my shipping charge.

What I'm wondering now is, what about the hard drive? All my stored game files? And what about Live, which I just connected? Is that dependant on the individual XBox, or my e-mail account? Can I use that subscription with the new machine? Will I re-imbursed for the time on Live that I can't use because the machine is fried? The time I paid for and should have?

I'll be calling them tomorrow to see what needs to be done, but overall I'm dissapointed in this whole ordeal. And in Best Buy. I bought the service plan because I was told THEY would take over MS's warranty and cover everything, no hassels, for two years.

I not happy. :mad::mad::mad:

And I JUST found Forza 2 again. One of my brothers had put it in an old XBox game case. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Anyone have experience with this process?

RSVX 01-27-2008 06:20 PM

You just remove your HD, and they send you one back, sans HD.

Tim 01-27-2008 06:22 PM

Did you buy a replacement plan? I am pretty sure that is the only thing offered for the xbox.

If it is under 1 year, it still will be replaced by best buy and can be replaced an unlimited amount of times if it failed. After the 1 year manufacturer's warranty, making a claim will fulfill the plan. The person you were dealing with must have been mistaken. Don't waste your time sending it to Microsoft. The purpose of the replacement plan is to prevent you from needing to do that.

It's Just Eric 01-28-2008 01:00 AM

I saw a video on youtube (Wait, why does this suddenly sound like a horrible idea?) where someone fixd theirs by removing the hard drive, laying it flat, covering it in pillows and running it HOT for a good 10 mins, the letting it cool and restarting it

Apparently it has something to do with cheap solder on the mothership or something.

no, I dont have an x box, and yes, Im pretty bad at technology...but if its fried, anythings worth a shot

Wikedjuggalo 01-28-2008 08:36 AM

This is what you do. Grab some Towels (like 4) Wrap them around the 360 turn it on and let it run for awhile. Search Youtube for the Video of it but it works ^^

ridered777 01-28-2008 08:49 AM

I've heard of the towel method. Though I've heard you should use slightly damp towels, to keep it from lighting them on fire... :rolleyes:

The other option is to take it to walmart - they'll replace it with a new one, just keep your hard drive and such. Walmart, last I checked, does a replacement no matter how long, as long as its for the same item. My buddy went through 4 Xbox's, all from walmart. Eventually got a good one after about 2 years of them breaking every 6 months...:lol:

I haven't had a problem with mine and have had it for a very long time. You will have to send it to Microsoft, usually takes upwards of a month. Its a terrible process, I know several people who have gone through it.