The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How to replace rear diff bushings (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37625)

processengr 02-23-2007 06:10 PM

How to replace rear diff bushings

Hi all,
Had a problem replacing the rear differential bushings in our 92 SVX.
I bought new bushings from 1st Subaru. read all posts regarding installation, sounded easy, brought to Local shop who torched out old bushings, could not get new bushings in.
Ended up frying new bushings trying to heat the surrounding area.

Help! Ordered new bushings. Does anyone have a how to on this? Shop
had the standard C-clamp like tool for bushing press. Does the rear
end need to be dropped?

TIA!
gordon

ensteele 02-23-2007 06:35 PM

Welcome to the site. I am not aware of a how to on this, but I will do some searching for you. :)

SVXBart 02-23-2007 06:37 PM

i sugest you to contact SVXFiles or TOMSsvx,as they both curently did it.

TomsSVX 02-23-2007 10:03 PM

Long bolt... couple big washers... corresponding nut for the bolt. LOTS of Grease;) After that it is self explanitory with an impact gun

Tom

svxfiles 02-23-2007 10:19 PM

When I replaced Harry's bushings, I found out it is MUCH better to make two cuts with a sazall, about 1/2" apart, and to peal out the sliver of metal, than it is to make one cut and try to peal it out.;)

TomsSVX 02-23-2007 10:28 PM

he said he already got them out... now its just a matter of gettin the new ones in...

Tom

svxfiles 02-24-2007 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by processengr
torched out old bushings, could not get new bushings in.
Ended up frying new bushings trying to heat the surrounding area.

Please use a press, sazall, dremell or ANYTHING but a tourch, so close to the gas tank!:eek:

As to installing the ones that I hand made, I used a dead blow hammer against a flat metal bar, and lots of lube.

processengr 02-25-2007 06:55 AM

:) Thanks everyone for quick response! I'm guessing the mounting studs come out with a jamb nut?
I may try to remove the torched bushings and install the replacements myself. This was my original intention, but it has been cold in Conn.!

Gordon

svxfiles 02-25-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by processengr
:) Thanks everyone for quick response!
I'm guessing the mounting studs come out with a jamb nut?
I may try to remove the torched bushings and install the replacements myself.
This was my original intention, but it has been cold in Conn.!

Gordon

Did the shop remove the rear differential before they tried to tourch the bushings?
The two studs stay in the rear diff and are out of the way.?:confused:
Are the bushings out yet?
Here is a picture of what it should look like before you try to reinstall the bushings.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...iles/40822.jpg

processengr 02-25-2007 11:01 AM

No, they left the differential in. Does the mount need to be dropped?

svxfiles 02-25-2007 01:46 PM

I would drop the rear first.
Unhook the driveshaft, four nuts.
Six bolts, two nuts and two axles for the rear.
Once the rear is out carefully sazall out the two bushings outer sleeves using two cuts about 1/2" apart so that you can peel out the bushing.
Then as Young Tom says use a big a$$ bolt nut and washers, lots of grease to press in the new bushings.
Or combine that with the cro-magnon method of a metal plate and a four pound dead blow hammer.:o

Can you do it without dropping the rear.
Could be, but you would spend much more time and effort, using laser scalpels and or Dremels, and stuff that most shops do not have.:rolleyes:

Earthworm 06-01-2007 09:00 PM

We used no grease when replacing mine. We were actually able to press out one of the bushings. The other we cut.

RoughSilver92 03-02-2009 12:07 PM

Re: How to replace rear diff bushings

Bringing this back from the dead, but Advanced Auto Parts rents a ball joint pulling tool that works great for this. Just find the right size pieces and use the c clamp provided. I had to remove the muffler and drop the sway bar to be able to get the socket on the c clamp, but other than that nothing to it. I went this route as opposed to cutting them out because I wanted to save the metal pieces to fill with window weld.

kwren 03-02-2009 01:05 PM

Re: How to replace rear diff bushings

depends on the torch but could possible have damaged the area the bushings fit in??

Keith:cool: