The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Server Move and changes (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64895)

Chris 06-28-2019 02:22 PM

Server Move and changes

So today I moved the SVXWN from where its been since we imported the Dell Blade Server from Australia many, many years ago. Its still at Fiberpipe Data Centers, but now in customer collocation... This means we need to find a way to support it instead of out of my pocket. We could do subscriptions, donation based to cover year at a time, shirt and mojo coffee mugs, or........ Google Ad cents..... (oh nohs.....)

I am open to any and all ideas, as well as wanted changes, needed changes, etc... don't be rude, but toss your opinions in.

irox 06-28-2019 06:17 PM

Re: Server Move and changes

Hey Chris,

big things for carrying this all those years.

How much does it cost to host per year? I think knowing roughly how much we need to cover would help guide the decision making process here.

I'm happy to chip in to help keep this service up!

Thanks!
Ian.

Subaru oldtimer 06-28-2019 06:49 PM

Chris,
Even though I am a new member I just wanted to say two things. First and foremost I am sorry for the recent loss of your wife. May she rest in peace and may you continue to cherish all the memories you two built. Secondly, and more to the point of your server update post; thank you for carrying the load all these years. I'm sure somehow the group will find a way to support the new location.

Oh and congratulations on your new job!

wdb 06-29-2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irox (Post 751071)
How much does it cost to host per year? I think knowing roughly how much we need to cover would help guide the decision making process here.

I'm happy to chip in to help keep this service up!

Ditto all of the above.

Chris 06-29-2019 01:12 PM

Thanks for the kudos... I will do my best to answer in a non-technical aspect.

There are several ways to do hosting....
  • Shared hosting: This is normally for small static sites that need a presence or basic dynamic sites like forums hosting or Wordpress. All customers are shared on the same machine as well as resources. You don't typically get an administrative login to the machine (as its not yours to begin with) and you are trusting the server owner/administrator to manage the resources and various hosts as to not get too backed up or oversold/overcommitted. This is not a great fit for us as you can imagine with 18 years of searchable content, images, and attachments, the database size easily exceeds what the largest standard hosting plans allow.
  • VPS or virtual private server: In this world, a high powered machine with lots of resources gets installed with a virtualization package such as Citrix Xen, KVM, HyperV, or VMware. You pay for how much of the total pie you want split into your realm. You do typically get the administrators login because you typically are leasing that slice of the pie, but not the entire machine. Again, the size of our 18 years of searchable data would put a larger slice of pie on the storage resources and would be affordable we it not for the database enority.
  • Dedicated hosting: This is either an owned server or a leased one from the hosting data center that you pay to "house" in a facility that provides for the environmentals (redundant internet connectivity, redundant power, redundant cooling... from the redundancy department of redundancy:D) and you pay based upon the consumables of space used, power used, and internet (cooling in calculated into power). Space is calculated based on the "u" size or unit size. In 19" telco/datacenter rack mount servers there is a "u" size. All servers are the same width to fit between the mounting racks. The variables is depth and height. The height is "u" size and 1U is 1 and 3/4 inch tall. So a 3U server is 5 and 1/4 inch tall. (reference - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_unit
  • Collocation cabinet: These are basically lockers of a set size. Put in an much or as little as necessary, typically the limiting factor is the size chosen and the power provided. Full rack is typically 42U of space, half is 22-24U, one third is 10-12U with the variable being now much space is used for dividers between cabinets and other mounting infrastructure. In the Facebook video, the server area you see is typical 19 inch center posts racks and when you see me walk through the door you see full and half cabinets.
  • Lastly is cage space: This is just like it sounds, a fenced or caged space on a data center floor for multiple racks of server and IT infrastructure. Here too, you pay for space, power, and internet and or cross connect circuits. This is for big business.

I dont have the cost right now as I am in negotiates for a "great" deal. Management of Fiberpipe knows the SVXWN does not operate on a profit model so I am likely to get a bit of a break and closer to "at cost" hosting fee. In reality, we are moving into a half cabinet (there are no 1/3 cabinets open at the moment) and retail would be $300-500 a month. For reference look here: https://www.colocationamerica.com/co.../half-rack.htm

When I have the contract negotiated, I will post an update before I sign anything. I could put the gear in my house... I would increase my power bill... residential power is way more expensive vs industrial in cost per kwh. But the bigger issue would be uptime reliability and quality or lack thereof for internet connectivity at the residential service agreement. I get brief outages all the time here and that would mean service downtime for the network every time.

I hope this brings more understanding to those whom are interested. I will post updates here and photos if people want.

theflystyle 07-01-2019 04:41 AM

I would like to add the idea of using the Google Cloud Ecosystem as a possible solution. I do not know the details of the current system to know how to price out a comparable build in their environment but I have been contemplating making this same move for my own needs.

My background lends itself to this task so I am offering my time/knowledge/money for this endeavor as the network has served many for many years.

P.S - Can we add a certificate to the upgrade list? It has always bothered me when I visit the site :p

Chris 07-01-2019 09:45 AM

SSL cert will be purchased and installed on next update

Chris 07-01-2019 01:54 PM

The Google cloud cost calculator is BEYOND confusing, but there are larger fees for database size and server availability. But I will see if I can get a realistic estimate.

theflystyle 07-02-2019 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 751088)
SSL cert will be purchased and installed on next update

Great to hear!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 751089)
The Google cloud cost calculator is BEYOND confusing, but there are larger fees for database size and server availability. But I will see if I can get a realistic estimate.

I did notice that as well - I have a feeling they want you to interact with a customer service agent.

SVXandO 07-02-2019 09:54 AM

I for one would definitely make a yearly donation or subscription to help defray the costs and to help guarantee this site and database remain available... There's certainly nothing else like it and I would not own a SVX if it didn't exist. The knowledge base here is incredible.
Thanks to all that have contributed to that...
:)

wdb 07-02-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXandO (Post 751094)
I for one would definitely make a yearly donation or subscription to help defray the costs and to help guarantee this site and database remain available... There's certainly nothing else like it and I would not own a SVX if it didn't exist. The knowledge base here is incredible.
Thanks to all that have contributed to that...
:)

^^^ :banana::domo:

shotgunslade 07-04-2019 11:36 AM

I would be good for a monthly or annual subscription fee.

Stevebsy 07-29-2019 08:08 PM

Hi Chris-

I don't know if this is any better or of help, but I could get us a Asus RS162-E4/RX4 server.

It's a 1U height server.

If that's a help, let me know and we can discuss getting it out to you, etc...

Regards
Steve