The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How to check front differential (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31818)

cagey27862 02-28-2006 05:49 AM

How to check front differential

Ok, I know the title sounded stupid but, I can't figure out how to get the dipstick out of the front differential. It just spins and spins. I haven't checked it in a long time, and I can't remember what you had to do to get it out.

HELP!!!!!

Cagey

SilverSpear 02-28-2006 06:03 AM

Ok take the hood off, put it away gently without scratching it, then put one foot on the fender from above, the other foot on the windshield from below, both hands holding the top of the stick real tight and pull as hard as you can !!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hahahaa, just kiddin man :D , just grab it real tight at pull it away

msvx95 02-28-2006 10:17 AM

I was going to say....spin with it....as it turns, so should you:D
"everyone needs a smartass" .........sorry I never checked mine yet

cagey27862 02-28-2006 10:18 AM

Hahahahaha! I tried pulling it with vise grips won't budge! I'm about to commit harry carry on this thing. I was just wondering if I was supposed to do something special to it to get it out. Actually I am contemplating taking it to the dealer. I replaced my own timing belt, rear window, seat belt switch, alternator, valve cover gaskets, ball joint, and installed a stereo system without any help, but I can't get the durn diff stick out. Been trying sporadically for 18 months. I think the real problem is that I'm afraid it will break! All I can get it to do is spin. I think I'm gonna try to remove the whole tube!

Cagey

dcarrb 02-28-2006 10:40 AM

That's crazy. Mine fits so loosely in the tube you'd almost expect it rattle around. Since there's a notch to allow it to fit fully into the tube only one way, I'm guessing the handle/dipstick is turning inside the plastic plug. You tried the vise-grips on that plastic piece?

dcb

svx_commuter 02-28-2006 10:58 AM

Someone else had that problem and posted here. When they got it out, it came with the tube that is pressed into the case and the dip stick was all rusted. The o-ring couldn't get past the rust. I think about that everytime I check mine. I try to check it every month so it stays lubricated.

SVX-FF 02-28-2006 11:08 AM

Wow you all have a plastic dip stick. Mine is steel:eek: It fits a little snug but it comes right out.

Oh wait a minute, you all have that new style SVX front diff.:p
The Impreza one is steel.

If you pull the fill tube out it is just pressed into the front diff housing. A block and hammer should but it right back. You should be able to set it close to the original marks. Remember that if you put the tube in to far it will show the fluid level full but you will be low and visa-versa.

Good luck
Steve

dcarrb 02-28-2006 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX-FF
Wow you all have a plastic dip stick. Mine is steel:eek: It fits a little snug but it comes right out.

Only the tube-plug part is plastic; the dipstick and handle are steel.

dcb

dmnknightomega6 02-28-2006 01:14 PM

I had the same problem. so i rocked it back and forth up down left and right then pull explosively with good leverage.

came off like a charm. :D

NikFu S. 02-28-2006 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cagey27862
I'm about to commit harry carry on this thing.
Cagey

Hay!
http://simchak.com/images/caray2.jpg

Hari kiri.
http://www.parida.com/seppuku.html

My dif stick comes out with ease.

cagey27862 03-01-2006 03:23 AM

Had something important to do yesterday, so I didn't get a chance to mess with it. I'm glad to hear that the tube won't break if I yank like h*ll on it. That was my main concern! In a couple of hours when the sun rises, I'll let you guys know what's up. BTW it's a 92 SVX.

cagey27862 03-01-2006 03:28 AM

Hari Kari... Hahahahahaha! Never seen it actually spelled! I was hesitant to use it in my original post because I had no clue how to spell it. Lol! I'll be using it more often now...

Cagey

NikFu S. 03-01-2006 11:00 AM

Imagine my mental image of you hiring Harry Carray to yank your diff stick.

"Whu, HAY Cagey! What if,
the boon was bade out of barbecue spare ribs, wouldja ead it thed?

I know I would. Heck I'd have seco'ds.

Then I'd wash it down with a tall cooo budweiser..."

cagey27862 03-01-2006 09:55 PM

Got it out by sliding a seatbelt through the eye of the dipstick and pulling, yanking, and straining. It easily was the hardest thing that I've ever had to do to my SVX. Took 3 hours to get out. Replacing my power steering hose while in college with only the SVX jack and no jackstand was nothing compared to this. Pulling my crankshaft pulley with only a ratchet and a screwdriver was easier... I've put in transmissions easier than this... Oh btw, it was rusty as it is the type with a metal pipe...:D

Thanks guys,

Cagey