The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dash Lights dimming (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29302)

henryb 10-31-2005 12:43 PM

Dash Lights dimming

In my 1992 SVX, the dash lights are changing their brightness on their own! They go from full-bright to dim in one moment, but increases from dim to Bright at a gradual pace (almost unnoticable). It is most prominent on the shifter lights (on the dash... noticed another thread with a different problem... console shifter lights).

My wife is the primary driver, she also reports that the headlights also seem to have this behaviour. I will take the car for a test drive this evening to check it out for myself and update the thread later.

It might be the connector for the dash circuit board? Any instructions on getting to that connector and testing it?

Thanks,

Earthworm 10-31-2005 04:13 PM

Get a volt meter that displays in volts and keep it plugged into your lighter. It could be something as simple as a loose battery terminal or a bad ground but the volt meter will help you to keep an eye on what's going on.

henryb 10-31-2005 05:12 PM

Hey great idea, thanks for the tip.

kuoh 10-31-2005 06:07 PM

Sounds more like a problem with the alternator or alternator/battery wiring if the headlights are dimming too. Check all the grounds and power and by all means get a multimeter and get some voltage measurements while it's happening.

KuoH

henryb 10-31-2005 06:26 PM

I think your on to something. Had an AVR test done... results indicate that the Altenator is charging normally, but the battery is weak. Is it possible that this could be caused by a weak battery? It is over 5 years old, but I have never seen that symptom before?

Thanks,

oab_au 10-31-2005 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henryb
I think your on to something. Had an AVR test done... results indicate that the Altenator is charging normally, but the battery is weak. Is it possible that this could be caused by a weak battery? It is over 5 years old, but I have never seen that symptom before?

Thanks,

Doubt the battery would cause it, it is the result of the alt loosing track of the battery voltage. Check the wires going to the alternator, the big one and the small wire, that the regulator looks at the battery voltage through.

Harvey. ;)

henryb 10-31-2005 07:03 PM

I would tend to agree, I doubt that a weak battery could produce those symptoms! I will check the wires tomorrow and provide an update.

Thanks,

Sean486 11-01-2005 07:01 AM

I am having a similiar problem with my 95. The dash lights are pulsing, they dim slightly and brightning every 2-3 seconds. I have been trying to ignore it. Do you all think that I should try the same things that have been recommended to HenryB?