The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Shock Question for all (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12804)

FearWhat 08-26-2003 03:20 AM

Shock Question for all

Since i just purchaced my SVX i am making a [Long] list. One of the things,

I test drove a 95 in 95 hehe.

But I don't remember when hitting bumps in the road hearing the bumps as much or i like to call it the banging noise hehe.

I remember a smoother ride. IS the 92 a rougher ride then the 95's. I am thinking to believe that almost all the years are the same with minor differ's.

Now since i am feeling and hearing all the bumps in the road would this indicat time for replacement of them?

Thanks

Andy 08-26-2003 04:08 AM

There is a high probability that your shocks are in need of replacement. 11 years is well beyond their life expectancy.

It could also be caused by a loose exhaust heat shield. I recently had that problem, with the lower fixing on the LH downpipe corroded through and allowing the shield to touch the suspension arm.

FearWhat 08-26-2003 04:17 AM

yeah i figured, i just wanted to back up the $$$ spendings LOL..

yes i am also getting that low RPM exhaust noise, I think it migh tbe the heat shield OR the resinator thingy LOL..

Thanks for the reply

lee 08-26-2003 06:21 AM

I just changed my rear struts. The old ones appear to be the original. The ride is much smoother now over big bumps, i.e., speed humps, etc.

Also, after I took off the rear interior side panels (needed to get the rear package tray cover off - needed to get to the top mounting nuts for the struts) several of the sound damping materials had either come loose or had fallen off. I used a hot glue gun to reattach them, interior sound noise is a bit better now.

rufus 08-26-2003 12:26 PM

That must be a fairly common occurence. I had the same thing happen. I used double sided tape and it seemed to work fine.

Andy 08-27-2003 02:18 PM

Seems dodgy to me, fixing on your struts with double sided tape.

FearWhat 08-27-2003 03:47 PM

andy he was Talking about the Sound Dampening material. not the Shocks. when he changed them he Put the Sound Dampening Material back on the car with double sided tape.

:-)

lee 08-27-2003 08:57 PM

I believe Andy was doing a bit of leg pulling.

FearWhat 08-27-2003 09:49 PM

Well You didn't know that you use Double Sided Tape to mount the motor as well? This is one of the oldest tricks in the books.;)

SHISVX 08-27-2003 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
I believe Andy was doing a bit of leg pulling.
as long as he doesn't do any leg lifting...

Kelli :D

rufus 08-28-2003 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by FearWhat
Well You didn't know that you use Double Sided Tape to mount the motor as well? This is one of the oldest tricks in the books.;)
I always play it safe and use super-glue in the engine compartment. Double sided tape is strictly for suspension and bodywork.

:p