The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone have electric cutouts on their exhaust setup? (Vid) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48690)

AUSVX 01-20-2009 01:14 AM

Anyone have electric cutouts on their exhaust setup? (Vid)

If you don't know what electric cut outs are it's a electrical controlled flap in the exhaust that you can open and close or open however much you want..... Making it louder!!!

I'm not interested in doing this but it'd be sick to see an SVX with the setup just for fun.. Anyone installed this??

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=xoBkEGd2xgg

Jordan

Manarius 01-20-2009 08:54 AM

Re: Anyone have electric cutouts on their exhaust setup? (Vid)

I saw them demo something like that for the WRX. Seemed rather ricer to me. Not something I'd do to my SVX. I'd rather them not be able to hear me as I drive away too fast.

LetItSnow 01-20-2009 09:13 AM

After having the clamp upstream from my muffler come undone, I've got this on my list of too-much-free-time stuff to do.

I'd like to confirm that it lets a couple of horses free before I said so, but the snarl drew the attention of everyone at autocross events. Many of the regulars were excited to hear what I did to the exhaust (especially my "flat-6 brother" with his 911). it was funny to tell them that the muffler was just loose!

I'm not usually a sound freak and I hate roaring through my neighborhood, but if I could do it part-time...

Sov13t 01-20-2009 11:16 AM

BartSVX has those set up on one of his SVXs.

SURTEESS 01-20-2009 01:24 PM

Not a new idea - saw a "chitty-chitty Bang Bang" type racer from 1920s with a similar setup some 25 years ago at a race track here in NZ, in theory gives less back pressure / more power, just watch out for those (with older cars that have not had the valve seats hardened) - as they will get damaged due to non-correct burning of fuel ratio ....

SubaruSVXCrazy 01-20-2009 05:58 PM

Heard of it on a VW R32 but never on a SVX, other than what Sov13t said.

Mike621 01-20-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sov13t (Post 583041)

+1

I have ridden in that car and the electric exhaust dump is a fun item, creating a sudden roar on command :).

SVXRide 01-20-2009 07:56 PM

Looks like ~$425 for the parts alone (if you want to have true duals)

-Bill

redlightningsvx 01-20-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sov13t (Post 583041)

+1 BartSVX sounded nuts at Reading even at 12 midnight when it was roaring.

Crazy_pilot 01-20-2009 09:33 PM

When I was working on my exhaust I had the pipes cut at the pre-cats, so for fun I started the car up. It sounds really neat at idle (burble-y rumble, almost V-8 like), but with any throttle it's just a really loud noise. Not particularly pleasant, just shockingly loud.

This though sounds cool as ****.

STeeL25T 01-21-2009 10:11 AM

A friend had manual cut outs on this LS1 Camaro (same thing, just with 3 wing nuts you take off with your hand). You leave them on for daily driving and take them off at the strip for more power. I got a set of them for my turbo 240sx but never installed them. My manual ones were 100 bucks for 2 in 3 inch piping, may be cheaper for smaller.

Freeman 01-21-2009 10:49 AM

From what I'm told, they aren't terribly expensive to put the electric ones on the SVX at all..

crusader8 01-22-2009 09:04 AM

I have a manual cutout after about 2 feet of downpipe off my turbo... I have yet to take it off, but I would assume its more practical for high HP cars and turbo cars

SVXyGirl 02-06-2009 05:05 PM

This is Bart's setup. I took this picture awhile back when he first had it installed and I just found it on my computer.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...s/IMG_0079.jpg

Freeman 02-07-2009 12:34 PM

Yeah this is the set up I want for my car.. It sounds nice and you can really tell the difference.. I have a mechanic that is willing to do the set up for me for a very reasonable price too.