The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Chevy Express + Stereo Install (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28721)

Noir 10-02-2005 08:34 AM

Chevy Express + Stereo Install

Is there anything special about installing a CD player in a 2005 Chevy Express work van? A friend of mine just bought one and was asking if I could help him put one in. The price for a CD player from factory was $580 for the part w/no labor. :eek:

He was thinking about putting a $200-$300 one in from Best Buy's or Circuit City.

When I called for the price for the CD player, they told me that if one was to put an aftermarket CD player in it, one has to configure the computer to work with the CD player. :huh: Is that true or is the dude yanking my chain? I figured it would be a straight and simple install. Anyone heard of this?

Thanks for the help!

Manarius 10-02-2005 09:34 AM

Well, if it has a radio already in it, I don't see why putting another in to replace it would be an issue. Just match connectors and that's that.

However, if it doesn't already have a radio, things could get tough because you'd have to splice into the system for power.

And as for this BS about the computer: Unless you need RDS, don't worry about it.

Noir 10-02-2005 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius
Well, if it has a radio already in it, I don't see why putting another in to replace it would be an issue. Just match connectors and that's that.

However, if it doesn't already have a radio, things could get tough because you'd have to splice into the system for power.

And as for this BS about the computer: Unless you need RDS, don't worry about it.

that's what i thought. what is RDS?

Manarius 10-02-2005 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir
that's what i thought. what is RDS?

RDS radios have this nifty little feature where they get louder in conjunction with how fast the engine is going (ie, more RPM's Radio goes louder). That's not to say you can't adjust the volume yourself, but it does get a little louder in conjunction with the RPM's. That may be where changing the computer may come in. However, I find it not worth it seeing as I have my radio either off or blasting.

Landshark 10-02-2005 03:45 PM

Quote:

Is there anything special about installing a CD player in a 2005 Chevy Express work van? A friend of mine just bought one and was asking if I could help him put one in. The price for a CD player from factory was $580 for the part w/no labor. :eek:

He was thinking about putting a $200-$300 one in from Best Buy's or Circuit City.

When I called for the price for the CD player, they told me that if one was to put an aftermarket CD player in it, one has to configure the computer to work with the CD player. :huh: Is that true or is the dude yanking my chain? I figured it would be a straight and simple install. Anyone heard of this?

Thanks for the help!

Best Buy said the SVX has a factory amplifier hidden under the dash somewhere that needed to be bypassed, so i declined their "free install". :rolleyes:

i can see no reason the stereo would be tied into the engine computer, unless its some sort of anti-theft function. possibly tied into the climate control computer, but i doubt it.

thundering02 10-02-2005 04:13 PM

The GM work vans from a prevous job this year had RDS.

Noir 10-02-2005 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark
Best Buy said the SVX has a factory amplifier hidden under the dash somewhere that needed to be bypassed, so i declined their "free install". :rolleyes:

i can see no reason the stereo would be tied into the engine computer, unless its some sort of anti-theft function. possibly tied into the climate control computer, but i doubt it.

yeah, i've done a few installs. it ain't rocket science. i don't trust installers, so i opt to do it myself....

Noir 10-02-2005 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thundering02
The GM work vans from a prevous job this year had RDS.

hmm..i wonder if that'll be a problem. i'm assuming not, but you never know.

NikFu S. 10-02-2005 06:32 PM

I drive a 2004 Chevy Express pretty much everyday. I can find out if it has RDS.
Sweet van. I'd buy one if I had to.

Shadow248 10-02-2005 09:51 PM

I think you may be confusing anagrams.

RDS = Radio Data Service
SCV = Speed Contouring Volume

SCV is one of those things that i'm surprised few companies have tried to copy. It's frikin amazing (and it's defeatable for haters). However, even if the van has it, it has no bearing on a new system since the new head unit would just not utilize the signal lead that feeds the SCV controller in the stock system. The only reason i could possibly see that anyone would caution you about messing up the computer during a head unit change would be in a car where the security system is buried in the head unit. GM stopped doing that aroudn 2002 or so. Plus, I doubt a work van would have that feature anway.

It should be a piece of cake install.

Noir 10-02-2005 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow248
I think you may be confusing anagrams.

you mean acronyms?

yeah i hope it's easy.

Landshark 10-02-2005 10:26 PM

Quote:

SCV = Speed Contouring Volume

each manufacturer has its own name for the feature (and usually an acronym to go with it.)

i've seen AVC (Active Volume Control), and my stereo has DNC (Dynamic Noise Cover).

Shadow248 10-03-2005 08:44 PM

Quote:

you mean acronyms?

yeah i hope it's easy.

Drove 8.5 hours from ohio yesterday, got home at 10PM. Check time of post. Nuff said. ;)

Noir 10-03-2005 09:39 PM

Quote:

Drove 8.5 hours from ohio yesterday, got home at 10PM. Check time of post. Nuff said. ;)

GM engineers must drive from Ohio alot. :p

Shadow248 10-04-2005 04:32 PM

Quote:

GM engineers must drive from Ohio alot. :p

Did pass the Lordstown Assembly Plant ("Cobalt generator") on the way.