The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cam and Crank seal replacement ??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26717)

benebob 06-10-2005 05:34 PM

Cam and Crank seal replacement ???

:D Any ideas how to get the bolt and pulley's off? Our racer is leaking. The plan was to borrow the subaru wrench from my mechanic today but he called in sick so I couldn't get it. Would love to get it done tomorrow and ready for a drag baseline, weight and another winner's circle autoxing next weekend.

SVXRide 06-10-2005 09:14 PM

strap wrench? socket on a 1/2 inch drive wrench with a "pipe" extension?
-Bill (knowing there are some threads on this, just too tired to look for them ;) )

benebob 06-11-2005 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide
strap wrench? socket on a 1/2 inch drive wrench with a "pipe" extension?
-Bill (knowing there are some threads on this, just too tired to look for them ;) )

WITHOUT turning the cams!!! I can get 'em off just fine but will turn the cams in the process

SVXRide 06-11-2005 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
WITHOUT turning the cams!!! I can get 'em off just fine but will turn the cams in the process

Ben,
3:23 am?? that new addition keeping you up? :eek: :D
seems to me you could rig up a "lock" of sorts that you tie into the flywheel that would keep everything from moving...an alternative would be to pull the front covers and see if you can't do the same thing, but with the cams (I know there are little brackets out there for Hondas, Nissans, etc that do this)
-Bill

lee 06-11-2005 11:08 AM

Quote:

Ben,
seems to me you could rig up a "lock" of sorts that you tie into the flywheel that would keep everything from moving...
-Bill

I had a helper put a pry bar on the teeth of the flexplate and held it in position while using a breaker bar with "pipe" extension.

benebob 06-11-2005 12:22 PM

Quote:

Ben,
3:23 am?? that new addition keeping you up? :eek: :D
seems to me you could rig up a "lock" of sorts that you tie into the flywheel that would keep everything from moving...an alternative would be to pull the front covers and see if you can't do the same thing, but with the cams (I know there are little brackets out there for Hondas, Nissans, etc that do this)
-Bill

Was planning to get up at 4am to go pick up the new Rabbit but Evangeline got me up about 3 in need of a snack.

I think we'll wait til I can borrow the right tool. Don't wanna risk not being able to run next week. :D

SVXRide 06-11-2005 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
Was planning to get up at 4am to go pick up the new Rabbit but Evangeline got me up about 3 in need of a snack.
:D

Ben,
Ah, the joys of fatherhood! :D :D
-Bill (having gone through this 3 times myself ;) )
p.s. I'll try to send "sleep through the night" vibes your way :cool: