The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Type of differential fluid to use in a 91 svx (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63752)

ChristophCobb 11-29-2015 04:45 PM

Type of differential fluid to use in a 91 svx

Hey if your facing the car from the front there's a dipstick on the left side of the engine block with some tranny fluid in it. Trans mechanic told me it was the differential fluid reservoir. The reason I ask my question is be use it's low and needs some more fluid. Have no idea what to throw in there. I'd imagine it's the same fluid for the trans. Which again. I don't know what to put in the car or what's good for it. Help. Should I just take it to a subaru dealership?

Selling the car by the way. I'm in Jersey if anyone's interested in details.

Huskymaniac 11-29-2015 08:43 PM

Re: Type of differential fluid to use in a 91 svx

See my signature below:

fasteract7 11-30-2015 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophCobb (Post 742571)
Hey if your facing the car from the front there's a dipstick on the left side of the engine block with some tranny fluid in it. Trans mechanic told me it was the differential fluid reservoir. The reason I ask my question is be use it's low and needs some more fluid. Have no idea what to throw in there. I'd imagine it's the same fluid for the trans. Which again. I don't know what to put in the car or what's good for it. Help. Should I just take it to a subaru dealership?

Selling the car by the way. I'm in Jersey if anyone's interested in details.

92 SVX.....?

Diff oil (80W-90 or close) in differential, not the ATF in our automatic transmissions

Owner's manual has the locations of fill areas and what to put in.

Blacky 11-30-2015 05:08 AM

If tranny fluid got in the front diff A) somebody put the wrong stuff in it at some time or B) there's a big problem. Either way it should be drained and refilled. It only holds a very small amount of gear oil. Something like 1.4 L.

SVX_MY_BABY 11-30-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophCobb (Post 742571)
Selling the car by the way.

So. What happened to your enthusiasm and aspirations of fixing this one up?

ChristophCobb 11-30-2015 11:12 AM

It's just been such a laundry list of issues that I don't think I'm ready to tackle just yet. I was willing to keep it to work on it over time because I do really like it. But my co-worker offered me a car of his be use he hated the subaru and I couldn't pass up on his offer. So now I'm selling the beloved subaru.