The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   European Forum (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Towbar or not towbar?that is the question! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28395)

Numbnuts 09-13-2005 05:18 PM

Towbar or not towbar?that is the question!

Is there anyone out there that has fitted a towbar to their svx, I've tried to get one but the only company that will do the job is in St Albans Herts.They say it has to be done at their factory,trouble is that's about 100 miles or so from me in Southampton.
I'm moving to Gibraltar and want to tow a trailer with all my personal crap in it,so i wondered if anyone had had one fitted or had done the job themselves plus how easy or hard it was.
Any info would be appreciated.

Aredubjay 09-15-2005 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numbnuts
Is there anyone out there that has fitted a towbar to their svx, I've tried to get one but the only company that will do the job is in St Albans Herts.They say it has to be done at their factory,trouble is that's about 100 miles or so from me in Southampton.
I'm moving to Gibraltar and want to tow a trailer with all my personal crap in it,so i wondered if anyone had had one fitted or had done the job themselves plus how easy or hard it was.
Any info would be appreciated.

There was a fellow in your corner of the world who used to trailer his race car behind his SVX. He used to run the Yahoo UK SVX Site -- Groundeffectsltd was his screen name, but, I haven't seen him around for a while. Perhaps another member there can help you out -- anyone????

svxistentialist 09-16-2005 06:56 AM

Thanks Randy,

You are correct. I see senility has not got a grip on you yet! :p

The only car we ever had in the Network with a tow-bar is the one yahoo! founder Rob Marcus had, see http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...alist/3202.jpg

Don't know where Rob had it fitted, and I know he sold that car a year or two ago.

You can contact him on Yahoo as Groundeffectltd, and his title here on the Network is Groundeffect. He does not post much here, but if you go to his locker, you can email him.

Joe :)

Numbnuts 09-16-2005 02:50 PM

Thanks fella's, tried to email him via his locker but the site wont let me,says try thru administrator but i cant thru that either it comes up with some fault. I'll try thru yahoo see what happens.
If anyone else knows who how or what it wld be very much appreciated.

Aredubjay 09-16-2005 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist
I see senility has not got a grip on you yet! :p

Hah! Got you fooled. :D

svxistentialist 09-18-2005 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numbnuts
Thanks fella's, tried to email him via his locker but the site wont let me,says try thru administrator but i cant thru that either it comes up with some fault. I'll try thru yahoo see what happens.
If anyone else knows who how or what it wld be very much appreciated.

PM'd you.

svxistentialist 09-18-2005 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aredubjay
Hah! Got you fooled. :D

That so? ;) Hah!!

Well, at least you are still getting out of bed and over to the computer.

Can't use a search engine for that, now can we? :rolleyes:

:D

ensteele 09-18-2005 11:53 AM

We had a local member here that put one on his SVX. He towed a motorcycle trailer behind it from WA to AK when he moved there to go to school. I will look up the thread and show it here. He had pictures as well and some discription of what they did to install it. I also saw one on ebay a while back. It was custom made and would bolt up to the frame. :)

ensteele 09-18-2005 12:20 PM

OK, here is the link to his locker with pictures of the tow hitch. A local welding and fabrication shop did it for him. The pictures should help some one to do it. Good luck with the project. He did just fine with the trailer set up with the motorcycle and other personal stuff loaded into it. :) :)

UberRoo 09-18-2005 11:32 PM

I think what you want is a trailer hitch, not a tow bar. As I am familiar with the term 'tow bar', it means a bar that is used to tow the car behind something else. If you intend for the SVX to be towed, you might want to read what the owner's manual has to say about that subject.

svxistentialist 09-19-2005 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UberRoo
I think what you want is a trailer hitch, not a tow bar. As I am familiar with the term 'tow bar', it means a bar that is used to tow the car behind something else. If you intend for the SVX to be towed, you might want to read what the owner's manual has to say about that subject.

You are undoubtedly correct Uberoo, but maybe you read the first post too quickly and missed the point. He clearly stated he wants to use the car to tow some gear to Gibraltar.

It is just a matter of colloquial terminology really. Over here, we use the term tow bar or tow hitch to describe a rear trailer mount. We rarely use the term trailer hitch, which is probably more correct, technically.

Joe ;)

Numbnuts 09-19-2005 08:19 AM

Thanks guy's,us Brits use the term "Towbar" usually because we want to tow something from a bar at the back of the car, Oops sorry,automobile!You dang foreigners change our language and expect us dumb brits to understand it. Seriously guy's thanks, I will peruse the info and pic's then see what i can do. if there was anyone with a towbar/ hitch that was surplus to their requirements, i would gladly take it off their hands,

UberRoo 09-20-2005 02:16 PM

Quote:

You are undoubtedly correct Uberoo, but maybe you read the first post too quickly and missed the point...

I knew what he meant, but I kinda freaked out when I read the title of the thread. I was also thinking that perhaps the reason he was having difficulty finding a hitch was because he wasn't asking for one. I have no idea how interchangeable the term 'towbar' is depending on where you live.

Aredubjay 09-21-2005 09:31 PM

Quote:

That so? ;) Hah!!

Well, at least you are still getting out of bed and over to the computer.

Can't use a search engine for that, now can we? :rolleyes:

:D

Who says I'm "out of bed?" Wireless is a wonderful thing. :p :D

Aredubjay 09-21-2005 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UberRoo
I knew what he meant, but I kinda freaked out when I read the title of the thread. I was also thinking that perhaps the reason he was having difficulty finding a hitch was because he wasn't asking for one. I have no idea how interchangeable the term 'towbar' is depending on where you live.

Don't feel bad, UberRoo -- when I had my '80 Spitfire, I used a shop manual that was written in the British vernacular. When I was having stalling problems, I figured it was rust in my gas tank. I couldn't understand why the manual suggested looking into the tank with a flaming stick and flushing it out with wax. :eek: Luckily, I had someone to translate: A "torch" is a flashlight and "parafin" is Kerosene. Good thing I held off working on the car 'til I had the translation, or ... KA-BOOM! :D