The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Good news for F1 fans (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22575)

SVXphile 11-11-2004 12:28 PM

Good news for F1 fans

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3993815.stm

Don

Mr. Pockets 11-11-2004 12:40 PM

Oh, this is a good quote:

"It's wrong to say that Ferrari have been excluded."

Oh, they'll be involved, but make no mistake about it - the rest of the teams specifically agreed on the measure without Ferrari so that they could pressure them into accepting their terms. If Ferrari had been involved from the beginning, the testing agreement wouldn't have been as drastic because Ferrari would have pulled their political strings. By the end the measure would change things very little - or even exempt teams with their own tracks! :)

This way the teams get to say, 'agree to it or not, we don't care.' They'll cut testing, and if Ferrari don't agree they'll have an unfair advantage.

If I were Ferrari, I'd say, 'stick it. You didn't have to agree to such a ridiculous thing, so it's not our fault we have an advantage.'

:)

Chiketkd 11-11-2004 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
If I were Ferrari, I'd say, 'stick it. You didn't have to agree to such a ridiculous thing, so it's not our fault we have an advantage.'

:)

My thoughts exactly! ;)

-Chike

GreenMarine 11-11-2004 08:35 PM

But they're still going along with the 2.4ltr V-8's :(:(:( I want the V-10's to stay!!!! :(:(

Mr. Pockets 11-12-2004 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
But they're still going along with the 2.4ltr V-8's :(:(:( I want the V-10's to stay!!!! :(:(
So do I, but then I bet a lot of fans wanted 1000hp 1.5L turbo engines to stay, too. :) The fact is the're closing in on 1000hp now, and accidents are becoming horrific. It's the nature of motorsport - the rules have to reign in devlopment. And a lot of development happens in F1.

Honda and Mercedes-Benz are apparently taking the FIA 'to arbitration' over the proposed V8s, claiming that the change will increase costs, not decrease them as was the intention. Their argument makes sense to me.

Landshark 11-12-2004 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
So do I, but then I bet a lot of fans wanted 1000hp 1.5L turbo engines to stay, too. :) The fact is the're closing in on 1000hp now, and accidents are becoming horrific. It's the nature of motorsport - the rules have to reign in devlopment. And a lot of development happens in F1.

why don't they just make carbuerated V8's with restrictor plates the requirement. geez....:rolleyes:

SVXer95 11-12-2004 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark

why don't they just make carbuerated V8's with restrictor plates the requirement. geez....:rolleyes:

They could always switch to just making left turns too....:rolleyes:

drivemusicnow 11-12-2004 03:52 PM

Heh... F1 has always been the "ultimate" in motorsports, with rally being the off pavement counterpart.. (to me at least) I understand the need to reduce costs such that teams can be competitive, however you'd think they could figure out better ways to do this. i just can't understand how reducing engine sizes (such that complete redesigns are needed) and things like the "universal transmission" in the WRC are that effective.. the teams should just have a "spending caps" like sports teams do.

SVXphile 11-12-2004 05:09 PM

Well...

The part about Ferrari was not the reason I posted it....it was the fact that the British and French Grand Prix's had been saved!

F1 without a British Grand Prix is just unthinkable.

Anyway, here is another morsal of info for you. A power struggle
at the top? Czar Bernie to be overthrown?

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1921600

Details at 6.

Don

PS Yes the proposal was done without Ferrari's input and is a slap in the face to them but lets face it.....they don't need any
more testing than anyone else. McLaren tested their previous model to death and it still was junk. The guys at Ferrari right now could take a lawnmower, put a surfboard on it for a spoiler
and still beat the field. They have the best team, the best car, and the best drivers....period. They could win with sandbags for ballast.

SVXphile 11-15-2004 06:33 PM

Red Bull money saves Jaguar F1

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1923438

Don

SVXphile 11-17-2004 11:29 PM

More on new engine rules

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1920456

Don

Earthworm 11-18-2004 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXphile
Moron new engine rules
Fixed your post.

SVXphile 11-18-2004 04:54 PM

Ha!

You got that right. :)

Don

Royal Tiger 11-23-2004 12:24 PM

FIA is spiraling out of control. F1 is a mess and the WRC is falling apart. Who's going to run in 06 in the WRC? Ford and Subaru? Puegeot and Citroen are gone after next year, Mitsubishi is swimming in red ink, Toyota won't come back, Honda won't go in. Opal was asked and said no. The F1 is going down the same road. Toyota is spending way to much, ford got out, BMW says it can't afford the new engines, Mercedes is just now climing out from under the Chrysler merger. FIA is dying. NASCAR for all the so called eliteists who hate it, is surving, if not growing. The whole chase for the cup thing was stupid and Gordon was robbed of his 5th Title (old points system champ), but I'll bet there will be a NexTel Cup in 2010.

SVXphile 11-23-2004 01:57 PM

I've admired Gordon since my dirt-track-loving sister clued me in to keep an eye on him when he hit the Bush circuit. He adapted SO quick to Montoya's Williams at Indy a year back....amazed the Williams guys. Can she pick 'um, or what? Yes, he would have had number 5 under the old system, but no use crying over spilt Quaker State. Nascar and the fans got what Nascar wanted....a nail-biter right down to the final lap of the final race. The best guy over the last 10 races won...barely. Fighting hard to build a points lead just doesn't buy you anything anymore. The teams will have to go back to the drawing boards and adjust to how to run for the Cup from now on.

Meanwhile, after the big night in New York next month, Jeff and Jimmy will have to catch some transatlantic shut-eye so that they can be sharp against Sir Michael in Paris. They won it once before, so anything is possible. I wish Tony Stewart and Robbie Gordon could go too.

Expenses have skyrocketed in all forms of racing, and I really don't know what the answer is. I wonder what would happen if NO major manufacturer ran in WRC? Turn it back to the privateers with a little factory backing here and there? Something will shake down in the next couple of years, that's for sure, in all the different series.....except, as you say PA_SVX, Nascar.

Don