The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   power steering (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37440)

Hop 02-10-2007 10:13 PM

power steering

I have a 92 svx that has a slight shudder while doing slow tight turns. High speed is good, around town is good, fluid looks good. It happens when I'm turning into a parking spot, right or left. I haven't noticed it backing up. Also, the more I drive the car, the less noticeable it is. Sometimes I leave the car sit for a week or two. Then it's really obvious.

Greg

Trevor 02-10-2007 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pghopkins
I have a 92 svx that has a slight shudder while doing slow tight turns. High speed is good, around town is good, fluid looks good. It happens when I'm turning into a parking spot, right or left. I haven't noticed it backing up. Also, the more I drive the car, the less noticeable it is. Sometimes I leave the car sit for a week or two. Then it's really obvious.

Greg

This could very well be a case of air in the fluid, as a result of a leaking O ring, located at the base of the fluid reservoir. Check the how too documents, as the fault is well documented and is a cheap and easy fix.

Hop 02-10-2007 10:40 PM

Got the procedure. the car is going into the garage for a timing chain next week. I'll try it then.

Thanks. Greg

Manarius 02-10-2007 11:12 PM

I smell Torquebind, not power steering problems.

ensteele 02-10-2007 11:38 PM

Quote:

Got the procedure. the car is going into the garage for a timing chain next week. I'll try it then.

Thanks. Greg

No chain, a belt. :)

bcpianoman 02-11-2007 02:01 AM

Where is the shudder?

Quote:

Greg

Does it feel like the shudder is just in the steering or does it feel like it's in the drive train? If it's just in the steering, it sounds like it could be a simple drive (or serpentine) belt tension problem.

Hop 02-11-2007 09:22 AM

It feels like it's in the steering to me. The belt looks good, no cracks or obvious wear and the tension feels ok. I also plan on replacing the s-belt when I replace the t-belt* (Thanks Ensteele, I actually knew this as I just ordered it and plan on changing it out myself. Hopefully the car will run again).

Torquebind? Hmmn, that smells much more expensive. Perhaps I should investigate this.

So, the plan right now is to change the fluid (I'll use the turkey baster method), the reservoir O ring, and the s-belt.

Is there anything that I can do to determine if torquebind is the culprit?

Greg

ensteele 02-11-2007 09:34 AM

While you are in doing the T belt, I would also replace the water pump. :)

Manarius 02-11-2007 10:03 AM

Quote:

It feels like it's in the steering to me. The belt looks good, no cracks or obvious wear and the tension feels ok. I also plan on replacing the s-belt when I replace the t-belt* (Thanks Ensteele, I actually knew this as I just ordered it and plan on changing it out myself. Hopefully the car will run again).

Torquebind? Hmmn, that smells much more expensive. Perhaps I should investigate this.

So, the plan right now is to change the fluid (I'll use the turkey baster method), the reservoir O ring, and the s-belt.

Is there anything that I can do to determine if torquebind is the culprit?

Greg

Torquebind is a feeling more derived from the drivetrain. It feels like the entire car is trying to bind up. If you go to a parking lot and try to drive in tight figure 8's and the car shudders as soon as you start making those sharp turns, I'd be willing to bet you have torquebind, not issues with the power steering.

ensteele 02-11-2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius
Torquebind is a feeling more derived from the drivetrain. It feels like the entire car is trying to bind up. If you go to a parking lot and try to drive in tight figure 8's and the car shudders as soon as you start making those sharp turns, I'd be willing to bet you have torquebind, not issues with the power steering.

That is the easiest way to check for the torquebind issue. :)

Hop 02-11-2007 03:13 PM

Yup,

I've got a new radiator, hoses, water pump, thermostat, crank and cam seals, t, s, and alt belts and a bunch of gaskets. Should be interesting. I've got my fingers crossed about the ps res o ring.

I looked around for info about the torquebind and found Tom saying:

"It's ALIVE!!!! The new tailshaft has fixed all ailments. My guess is that there was an abstruction of the transfer valve in the old housing which would not allow it to actually cut the line pressure. I know the Sol. C was working but the transfer valve was not."

Greg

svxstarship 02-11-2007 08:49 PM

How about putting the fuse in for front wheel drive only and seeing if it's still happening?

Manarius 02-11-2007 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxstarship
How about putting the fuse in for front wheel drive only and seeing if it's still happening?

That's a great way to test for torque bind. I always forget about that. Just put in the fuse, and try tight turns. If the car binds still, it's something not transmission related.

ensteele 02-11-2007 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius
That's a great way to test for torque bind. I always forget about that. Just put in the fuse, and try tight turns. If the car binds still, it's something not transmission related.

I forgot as well. Good suggestion. :)

blue thunder 02-11-2007 10:45 PM

Shuddering

I had the same exact symptoms around six months ago. AWD was stuck on all the time. I got a new c solenoid online and had subaru put it in. At two different Subaru dealers here the mechanics think that the clutch plates need replacing as well. Turns out mine were ok and just the solenoid fixed the problem. Check the tranny codes if you can. Mine did say the c solenoid. Good luck.

Mike:)