The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   5MT Clutch replacing/Axle removal (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46765)

Guyver280z 10-30-2008 03:13 PM

5MT Clutch replacing/Axle removal

Ok, so I decided I'm replacing the clutch myself. So far I took everything out of the way and the axles are still attached to the transmission. So.. I researched about the axles and that pin that I have to remove, but is that the same with the manual transmission??

Should I just pry the axles off the tranny or is there any lock or something???

Also... What clutch do you recommend me?? I had a stage 2 clutch and I kinda like the stiffness of the pedal. I'm not looking to do any professional racing just some drag racing once in a while and maybe some Auto-X but like once or twice a year.

So, what brand of stage 2 clutch you guys recommend???

Thanks a lot :)

TomsSVX 10-30-2008 03:32 PM

Re: 5MT Clutch replacing/Axle removal

Spec makes a great stage 2 clutch. Minimal chatter and great controlled slips:)

Tom

Guyver280z 10-30-2008 03:40 PM

Thanks Tom. The only bad thing is that the clutch kit is $500 :eek: is there a decent clutch kit like for around $300 or $350???

TomsSVX 10-30-2008 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guyver280z (Post 570685)
Thanks Tom. The only bad thing is that the clutch kit is $500 :eek: is there a decent clutch kit like for around $300 or $350???

I don't trust anything else for a push type trans...

Tom

Guyver280z 10-30-2008 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 570687)
I don't trust anything else for a push type trans...

Tom

I'm going to sounds very ignorant I guess..... Push Type??? Is that a way to call a manual transmission???

What about the Axles?? That's where I'm stuck rite now....

Thanks.

1986nate 10-30-2008 04:27 PM

The axles should be the same way as stock- with the pin

TomsSVX 10-30-2008 04:54 PM

Push type is how most manual transmissions engage the clutch. wrx's and sti transimission are a pull type in which the clutch fork fulls on the pressure plate for release. The push types are notoriously underweighted and thats why I feel the spec is the better clutch kit out there.

Also it has been said already but the pins are the same as stock

Tom

Guyver280z 10-30-2008 05:03 PM

Oh... ok. Awesome :D

So I'll just follow the regular instructions to remove the axles.

And about the clutch.... I guess I'll have to save that extra to get the spec huh???

Thanks guys.

Guyver280z 11-12-2008 03:07 PM

Ok, So I finally remove the axles.... it was sooo easy :D but There's sooo much stuff to remove under the car in order to lower the gearbox. Even the exhaust pipes with the pre cats had to go... so I guess that's a good excuse for a straight pipe upgrade and high flow cat replacement.

Is there something I should know before pulling the tranny of the engine?? Like some spring is going to jump suddenly or some additional tip that might save me hours of frustration later??? Do somebody has a 6 speed MT just lying in the floor that I could use??? :lol:

Also, I'm going to buy a Fidanza aluminum flywheel for an Impreza 2.5RS it should work right??? I'm taking baby steps on this since I dont want to take off the gearbox in a couple months.

Thanks guys

Guyver280z 11-12-2008 03:18 PM

Oh BTW... should I replace the "rear main"??? I've heard its easy to do once you remove the tranny and flywheel. Is it really that easy?? Like pull the old one and push the new one and Voila???

And where can I find the how much to Torque the flywheel bolts???

want-a-fast-svx 11-12-2008 04:07 PM

Im guessing with Toms answers you dont have an wrx tranny but if so the tranny will not seperate until you remove the pivot shaft that the clutch fork pivots on. If you have this tranny you will see a cap with a big allen key slot in it. You remove this then stick a 10mm bolt into the pin and pull out this will allow the tranny to be removed from the engine. Again i have no idea if the tranny you used is like this or if any are like this for that matter, however the wrx ones are.

As far as the rear main seal, i would suggest changing it while your there just for peace of mind as i dont think its that much cash to get. Just be gentle when tapping it in and tap it in evenly across the gasket.

Wikedjuggalo 11-12-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guyver280z (Post 572179)
Oh BTW... should I replace the "rear main"??? I've heard its easy to do once you remove the tranny and flywheel. Is it really that easy?? Like pull the old one and push the new one and Voila???

And where can I find the how much to Torque the flywheel bolts???

Yes and yes replace that damn seal as OT stated its would be stupid not to when you have such easy access to it.

Guyver280z 11-13-2008 08:50 AM

Thanks guys.

The transmission is supposed to be from a 5speed 1999 Forester/Impreza 2.5RS/Outback/Legacy I guess.

So, I don't have to worry about removing that pivot shaft?? Well, at least that's something less to worry about.

want-a-fast-svx 11-13-2008 01:38 PM

Hmm ill look when im done changing the struts on my girls car and take a pic and try to post it so you can check and see if you have the plug. Its about the size of a half dollar with a rather large allen head indentation in it. It would be worth it to check b/c if not you will not get the tranny off. Sorry im not too familiar with any other tranny and not sure what if any difference is b/w the imprezza 2.5 and the imprezza wrx, i would imagine they are the same. Should be able to get a pic up in a couple hours maybe sooner.

want-a-fast-svx 11-13-2008 02:50 PM

Ok so no pic as i dont need to pull the starter for any reason and dont really have time. But if you pull the starter you will see the plug its hard to miss now that you know what to look for.