The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   25th Anniversary Meet (2017) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   POLL: 25th Anniversary LOCATION poll (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64059)

svxcess 10-01-2016 01:38 AM

POLL: 25th Anniversary LOCATION poll

POLL: 2017 25th Anniversary LOCATION Poll

I have had preliminary contacts with both SOA in Cherry HIll, NJ and SIA in Lafayette. Seems we are being "encouraged to once again hold our 25th anniversary meet at SIA in Lafayette. I gave them a brief history of Subaru's involvement with the 10th. The Welcoming lunch with SVX engineers in attendance to answer our many questions, The Subaru-supported dinner at a local restaurant, where the President and CEO of SIA personally drove the first pre-production Subaru Baja off the assembly line for us to see. And of course the wonderful factory tour.

I also gave them the names and positions of those who were instrumental in helping us back in 2002. After 15 years, some may still be there, some moved on, retired or passed. I asked for names and titles of those who would be willing us to once again fulfill this dream.

Seems there as some still at Lafayette who remember the 10th and that this group of enthusiasts would travel across the country to mark this event. They seemed impressed

How much more impressed could they be to see a second gathering of cars, by truly passionate and appreciative owners, who have been driving a car Subaru produced 25 years ago and one that has been out of production for 20 years. A chance for the Grandfather SVX apart aside this children, the WRX and the STi and the newest grandchild, the BRZ, We know that Subaru embraces its proud history, its technological contributions and its brand loyalty

It would be nice to have some recognition from the Subaru community. I'm sure there are many who would be surprised to find that there is such a dedicated following for a 15-year-old discontinued-model car. Many of us are die-hard Subaru fans who wouldn't buy or drive anything else.

and the first reply...

"John,

Thanks for your message, and my apologies for the delay in my response. The anniversary celebration sounds exciting, can’t wait to learn more about the event. I’ve copied others who can directly help you.

Mike Whelan Senior Product Public Relations Manager at SOA

Nick Saraceni curates the vehicles in our Vintage Garage "Performance Attic" and is in the best position to help you with the SVX Pace Car if you desire it

Ric Hawthorne is no longer with DCI Marketing.
Rob Bundy and Melissa Carlson are the Editors of Drive and Drive Performance magazines. We’d like the opportunity to cover the 25th Anniversary for Drive Performance
magazine. May Rob or Melissa contact you to start the process?

James Han is Sponsors and promotions at SOA

Thanks for keeping me posted, John. Please don’t hesitate to shout with any questions, concerns or anything that I can help you with"

Tom Salvino
Subaru of America

trueblue 10-01-2016 09:20 AM

Re: POLL: 25th Anniversary LOCATION poll

Thank you for your involvement in the process. I was happy to see the letter from Subaru , end the enthusiastic response . I look forward to being there and meeting you as well .

True blue .

Stevebsy 10-01-2016 09:51 AM

This is good!
Glad to hear we have some SOA support, that will help quite a bit.

Thanks John for getting things rolling!

svxcess 10-01-2016 11:06 AM

This has been just one reply from Tom Salvino at SOA, promising to copy my letter to him to others. Also asking for permission for the Drive and Drive Performance magazine editors to contact me.

So far there has been no other contact with me from any of the people listed, all from SOA.

I have the identical email sent directly to customer relations and public relations at SIA in Lafayette. If no response by mid-week, I will call them directly.

Again they may ask me if I have a specific date in mind. We may gave to revise that May 5-7 date.

The 10th Anniversary meet in 2002 was July 20-22 Saturday, Sunday and Monday

Most people came on Friday, checked in, started getting together, planning dinner, washing their cars.
Saturday was loosely planned and the Subaru dinner in the early evening and the introduction of the Baja.
Sunday was touring the Indy car museum and speedway at Indianapolis and other points of interest
Monday was the SIA factory tour, followed by a lunch at the plant. Mechanical and styling engineers from the SVX project were on hand for questions and answers.

I think the tour would be best on a Monday. It may be problematic for some to leave mid-week to get to Lafayette for a Friday tour. Easier to have flexibility in arriving on the weekend and leaving to return home on Monday afternoon.

So the dates would probably be more like May 6-8, with many arriving on Friday the 5th.

The only other dates tying this one are ambiguous and "ANY OTHER DATES IN SUMMER OR EARLY FALL"

Conn SVX 10-04-2016 09:35 AM

Almost a 2 day drive over from here . Was there in 1993 took a tour then. Had just purchased my 1992. At that time were producing the Legacy and a Truck. I can't remember who they shared the plant with. Remember largest metal stamping Press. They said it was the largest object to come through the St Lawrence Seaway.

SoobCrazy 10-05-2016 07:54 AM

I might try to make this happen this year. Probably won't have the SVX back on the road by then, but I'd still bring a vintage Subaru of some kind.

blackbolt94red 11-23-2016 03:44 PM

I remember the tour as well, and how hot it was up on those catwalks. The May dates would certainly be more temperate.
I would love to go with my 2nd SVX, the black one, but distance could be an issue.
Fingers crossed.
bruce