The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Water Pump (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63331)

simboglide 02-22-2015 09:34 AM

Water Pump

Seems it's time to change it, and I'm guessing it's the original. 180k, noticed drip spot on driveway, dripping off xmember, pulled up on ramps, dried everything off and ran it back to the water pump mounting area. It seems Subaru didn't use a gasket out of the factory?Already changed the oilpump seal and O/R, new idler pulleys a year or so ago along with P/S oring and cam seals. timing belt and hoses are coming with waterpump.. new t-stat (factory one is a BEAST) Missing anything?

svxfiles 02-22-2015 12:12 PM

Re: Water Pump

Quote:

Originally Posted by simboglide (Post 739049)
Seems it's time to change it, and I'm guessing it's the original. 180k, noticed drip spot on driveway, dripping off xmember, pulled up on ramps, dried everything off and ran it back to the water pump mounting area. It seems Subaru didn't use a gasket out of the factory?Already changed the oilpump seal and O/R, new idler pulleys a year or so ago along with P/S oring and cam seals. timing belt and hoses are coming with waterpump.. new t-stat (factory one is a BEAST) Missing anything?

Carefully cut off the "jiggle pin" to allow a little more water flow, but beware when you cut it it goes off like a rocket!

simboglide 02-22-2015 01:58 PM

Really?? snip it?? I though it was only to allow air bubbles to pass.

svxfiles 02-22-2015 03:52 PM

Afterward you will be able to fill your cooling system faster,
your engine will run just a little cooler,
it will take about another minute before the engine gets up to temperature. So no downside.

If you find this hard to believe wait till I tell you about porting your thermostat cover!

simboglide 02-22-2015 05:27 PM

Now there's a thought, it is just aluminum. debating weather to take the intake off, there's a bit of oil under there.. assuming from IRIS valve.

Tireiron 02-22-2015 05:43 PM

Subaru uses a gasket for the water pump, and ONLY use a subaru gasket. It is a metal coated gasket and all that is needed with the machined surfaces of the engine block and water pump.

simboglide 02-22-2015 05:54 PM

Don't use anaerobic sealant to lightly coat it?

svxfiles 02-22-2015 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simboglide (Post 739060)
Don't use anaerobic sealant to lightly coat it?

Nope. Subaru O-Ring gasket.

simboglide 02-22-2015 07:43 PM

Sorry, i should have "quoted" Tireiron....I know there's a rubber seal on the t-stat and what looks to be a coated metal gasket on replacement w/ps

Tireiron 02-22-2015 10:17 PM

And no, you don't use anything on the water pump gasket. Just nice clean machined surfaces. The nice thing with the OEM gaskets, is when you take the part off, the gasket pulls right off leaving a nice clean surface.

EdWindows 02-24-2015 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 739054)
Afterward you will be able to fill your cooling system faster,
your engine will run just a little cooler,
it will take about another minute before the engine gets up to temperature. So no downside.

If you find this hard to believe wait till I tell you about porting your thermostat cover!

Does this help with the dreaded high-rpm cavitation issues?

svxfiles 02-24-2015 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdWindows (Post 739074)
Does this help with the dreaded high-rpm cavitation issues?

I have not gone to the lenghts some have by actual scientific testing, clear hoses etc.
But the inside of the thermostat has some pretty sharp edges.
Once ported and smoothed they SHOULD provide a smoother flow.

simboglide 02-28-2015 11:21 PM

i think I may have bent my cam pulley installing it... it rubs the plastic back cover in a timed mode( click click click) and i have a vibration....grrrr

svxfiles 02-28-2015 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simboglide (Post 739153)
i think I may have bent my cam pulley installing it... it rubs the plastic back cover in a timed mode( click click click) and i have a vibration....grrrr

Or the plastic has shifted/seperated/movet to the point of causing contact.
With the outer cover removed you can chect to see if the pulley is true.

simboglide 02-28-2015 11:59 PM

sighss...i started it..i can see the timing belt slightly walking back and forth.