The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Turbo Justy Project (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60454)

Wikedjuggalo 08-27-2012 07:44 PM

Turbo Justy Project

3 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased a cheap 93 Justy 4WD and am in the process of modifying slightly. The engine is going to be pulled next week after I return from a business trip and rebuild! There is a bit of custom welding and piping to be done. I will keep you all posted if you are interested in seeing a silly Justy sleeper :lol::lol:

I thought I would share some photos

The Justy

The Small 1.2L engine
(yes 3 cylinders) the engine bay has a lot of room compared to an SVX or others.

I will be using a IHI RBH5 VF4 that will be put on this bad boy. Small and lower PSI, should be a perfect choice for the small 1.2L

Feel free to post comments, suggestions and heckling.

Sean486 08-27-2012 08:23 PM

Re: Turbo Justy Project

Sounds like a fun project. I kind of like those Justys.

icingdeath88 08-28-2012 12:39 AM

Neat. Post some more pics, I want to see how this 3-cyl engine is set up.

Wikedjuggalo 08-28-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 710643)
Neat. Post some more pics, I want to see how this 3-cyl engine is set up.

I plan to! soon as I get to rigging it up. Hopefully with in the next month it will be ready to go.

Wikedjuggalo 09-10-2012 12:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Engine is out, now to start the fun.

wdb 09-10-2012 03:16 PM

Dang, a 9-valve engine. I'm gonna go ahead and bet there aren't too many of them in the world - at least, not in cars. Subscribed.

Does your car have the CVT? They've always fascinated me. I rented a Nissan Maxima that had one, and I thought it was way cool, but I'd really like to drive one of the Audi CVT's that do all the "lookit me, I'm pretending to be a box full of gears" tricks.

1986nate 09-10-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdb (Post 711442)
Dang, a 9-valve engine. I'm gonna go ahead and bet there aren't too many of them in the world - at least, not in cars. Subscribed.

Does your car have the CVT? They've always fascinated me. I rented a Nissan Maxima that had one, and I thought it was way cool, but I'd really like to drive one of the Audi CVT's that do all the "lookit me, I'm pretending to be a box full of gears" tricks.

The Justy CVT's were absolute junk as were, and are, most CVT's. Early failures and complications are common. I think the concept and idea is great, but the few I've driven, drive like sh!t.

Wikedjuggalo 09-10-2012 04:34 PM

No it is a 5spd. The CVT were notorious for failing (mostly due to poor maintenance) so a lot of them are not around. Possibly a good idea just bad timing. I am aiming for 100hp (or as close as I can get :lol:)

bwb3 09-10-2012 04:48 PM

This is such a bizare project. I am facinated. A great Grassroots 2013 project.

Gene

Wikedjuggalo 09-10-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwb3 (Post 711456)
This is such a bizare project. I am facinated. A great Grassroots 2013 project.

Gene

I got the car for 700 dollars or so with the intentions of being a daily driver. Well shortly after purchase it developed a knock. I figured I'd pull it and add to it. That turbo came off a mid-late 80's subaru and is low PSI.

bishop 09-11-2012 01:34 AM

just in case you havent found them, http://www.dustysjustys.com/home.htm has a lot of good info and can get parts for these cute little boxes.

just realised your in keizer, hopefully ill get to come take a peak.

Conn SVX 09-11-2012 05:37 AM

Now hook it up to that funky clutch tranny setup. Clutch less CVT :p

LetItSnow 09-11-2012 06:33 AM

Get John on the line and subcontract a polish job on that distributor. Ha!

Neat project. :D

Wikedjuggalo 09-11-2012 08:15 PM

I shall have to have John detail it, I need the engine bay to look immaculate. The piping actually looks easier then I first expected. lots of room in the front there. The exhaust manifold shouldn't be too bad to make work. Granted this is a lower budget so not everything will be perfect (backyard project :lol:)

wdb 09-14-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 711444)
The Justy CVT's were absolute junk as were, and are, most CVT's. Early failures and complications are common. I think the concept and idea is great, but the few I've driven, drive like sh!t.

I've driven two Nissan Maximas with CVTs behind their 3.7L V6. They were great! And I doubt Nissan would be selling them for so many years if there were reliability issues.

I am as "pry the clutch pedal from my cold, dead toes" as they come, but even I grudgingly admit there are times I'd rather not be bothered shifting; heavy traffic, long commutes, and so on. The Maxima and its CVT was a fine companion in those situations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 711455)
I am aiming for 100hp (or as close as I can get :lol:)

Awesome! Put some 20's on it too? ;)