The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What a day! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20999)

Green1995SVX 08-30-2004 01:16 AM

What a day!

Well, after over-sleeping this morning, and not getting on the road until 9am, NomadTW and I headed to Virginia to pick up my new pearlie. We made great time on the way there and arrived right on schedule. We drove the car and checked it for the usual svx problems. When everything checked out we left with my new car, and I couldnt have been happier! We decided to stop about 5 miles from where we left to fill the car up with gas, and get a much-needed snack. After filling up the car, Nomad went to start the car, and before he even put the key in the ignition, it broke in half. Upon inspection it looks like the key was already cracked in that location and we didnt notice it. This was the only key I had received with the car, so this was a big problem! At this point I called AAA to get a locksmith, and they wouldnt do ANYTHING for me because I had not registered the car yet in my home state. The guy on the phone was actually very rude and wouldnt even give me the number of a locksmith I could call. After a friendly local lent me a phone book, we located a locksmith who was able to come and make a key:

Waiting for locksmith to do his work:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...5SVX/20509.jpg

Now, those of you who b*tch about the $10 key blanks from subaru should hear this one. The total cost to have this key made on short notice on-site on a sunday, was $119.00!!! So, stop you're complainin'.

After that, we were back on the road to Pennsylvania!

On our way home (way behind schedule)
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...5SVX/20510.jpg

Aside from the car stalling out a few times, and an emergency stop for a new wiper blade ($15 from the Pennsylvania turnpike commission, thank you) our trip home was uneventful. The car is SO solid, and we averaged 29.43 miles per gallon on the way back. I cant wait to start cleaning the car tomorrow!

Mike

Landshark 08-30-2004 04:55 AM

cool - that car has a good home now! better get some JDM fluids in her, stat! :D

i'll bet B-Rad wishes he went to Ozzfest now. :D

immortal_suby 08-30-2004 05:42 PM

Mike's back in action!
The power of the force has been restored. I wondered why I felt happy all day today - now I know. :D

Chiketkd 08-30-2004 06:14 PM

That's awesome! Congrats on your new pearlie Mike. Sorry to hear about your troubles on the way home... :(

-Chike

Bwana 08-30-2004 06:18 PM

Any info on the stalling? Anything to worry about?

Too bad I dont still have my pearlie...we could be twins.

Glad to see you're back in an SVX.

I have high hopes for this car. :D

NomadTW 08-31-2004 04:19 PM

we got the stalling fixed
it wasn't a vacuum leak after all.
it turns out that the intake manifold was loose and the whistle was the gasket acting like a reed and vibrating

thanks to earthworm's dad for figuring that out

Phoenix_3737 08-31-2004 04:33 PM

the idiots i bought my svx from gave me the same problem my key i use right know is the original and it bends like a mofo you barelly put pressure on it and it bends thankfully they gave me a spare with it so if it brakes i have another one....but i need to get another one from subaru....just one of the little problems i hate...which is why im low on cash, the car needs a little 10 dollars her and another 10 dollars here before you get it the way you want...then it has no problems after that exept for maybe the tranny after a while and the gas...the things a gas hog

EddieSVX 08-31-2004 04:52 PM

29+ MPG?? holy crap! I've never been able to get over 24 MPG, and that was with lots of freeway driving.

Can we trade engines? :D

Anyways, congrats on your new perlie, and always have a spare... My original key hasn't broken, but the thing was made out of the weakest metal known to man because it's almost completely worn off. I made a copy months ago just in case, but my girlfriend carries it so if I get stuck somewhere I have to wait til she shows up...

shelfy 08-31-2004 05:00 PM

hijack! :)

i have two blanks that i will eventually have cut for which ever svx needs one first.

now for the big question: does anyone have or at least seen the valet key for the svx?

Bobb 08-31-2004 07:32 PM

Valet key

Hi Shelfy, The valet key doesn't have the black plastic on the handle part. Its also not going to open the trunk or the glove box. Of course you have to have the trunk release in the cabin defeated. Take care, BOBB

SVXRide 08-31-2004 08:37 PM

Key Blanks

I actually had a key successfully cut at a local Home Depot. After 3 unsuccessful tries, the guy running the key cutting machine finally tried a Mitus blank that worked - none of the "Subaru" blanks worked!
-Bill

shelfy 08-31-2004 10:34 PM

Re: Valet key

Quote:

Originally posted by Bobb
Hi Shelfy, The valet key doesn't have the black plastic on the handle part. Its also not going to open the trunk or the glove box. Of course you have to have the trunk release in the cabin defeated. Take care, BOBB
the owner's manual says the valet key is grey plastic. i know what it does (or does not do), and don't really have a use for one but i'd still like to have one. without it, i feel something's missing from my svx experience. :)

shelfy 08-31-2004 10:35 PM

Re: Key Blanks

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
I actually had a key successfully cut at a local Home Depot. After 3 unsuccessful tries, the guy running the key cutting machine finally tried a Mitus blank that worked - none of the "Subaru" blanks worked!
-Bill

i know one nissan blank will work too. :D

shelfy 08-31-2004 10:38 PM

Re: Key Blanks

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
-Bill

my former 2000 impreza uses the same blank as the svx, too. weird that home depot couldn't use a subaru blank.

SubaSteevo 08-31-2004 11:39 PM

Re: Re: Valet key

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by shelfy
the owner's manual says the valet key is grey plastic. i know what it does (or does not do), and don't really have a use for one but i'd still like to have one. without it, i feel something's missing from my svx experience. :)
I have one!!!! :p I can confirm, it is grey (instead of black) plastic.

I have also successfully made a copy of my key at Wal-Mart, using a Wal-Mart blank.