The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31646)

Jonesy 02-19-2006 04:55 PM

Help!!

Hey guys
Today, after driving for about 3 minutes, I stopped and went to make a u-turn. When i did this the power steering stopped working, and the whole dash board (steering light/check engine/etc.) all lit up and then went away again. I have a had a power steering leak for a month or so, but it has never gone empty. I replaced the o-ring but that did nothing. I think it may be in one of the lines. I am just curious as to if anyone has ever had this happen? And what would the flashing of the lights indicate? I checked the fluid in the pump and it seems to be at a good level (I topped it off just for safe measure.) I have turned off the car, and left it for about 2 hours, started it up and turned the wheel (while stationary) and the same thing happened - power steering cuts out and the dash board lights up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
Jonesy

oab_au 02-19-2006 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonesy
Hey guys
Today, after driving for about 3 minutes, I stopped and went to make a u-turn. When i did this the power steering stopped working, and the whole dash board (steering light/check engine/etc.) all lit up and then went away again. I have a had a power steering leak for a month or so, but it has never gone empty. I replaced the o-ring but that did nothing. I think it may be in one of the lines. I am just curious as to if anyone has ever had this happen? And what would the flashing of the lights indicate? I checked the fluid in the pump and it seems to be at a good level (I topped it off just for safe measure.) I have turned off the car, and left it for about 2 hours, started it up and turned the wheel (while stationary) and the same thing happened - power steering cuts out and the dash board lights up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
Jonesy

Gid'ay Jonesy, the belt that drives the power steering and the alternator may be loose. When you load it up by turning the wheel, it slips, to reduce the steering power and alternator charge, to bring on the dash lights.

Thats unless the crank pulley is separating.:eek:

Harvey.;)

NikFu S. 02-19-2006 06:22 PM

I think Harvey is right, but if not,

Looooow powa.

Happens to me once every blue moon.

My accessory belt is tight so that's not my issue, but it's worth checking for you.
If that's not the case get your battery and alt tested for load capacity as either may be crudding out.

SVX alternators are somewhat notable for having no balls at very low rpms.

---
Telltale signs to help diagnose are belt squeal, and does this happen only while turning, and if so does it only happen as the wheel is cranked all the way.

Jonesy 02-19-2006 07:35 PM

when i started the car the belt was squeaking, but then i started driving and it died down. Within 2 minutes was when the lights came on. And it is only when I am turning at a still, or very low speed. I am going to check the tension tommorow. thanks for the replies so far. Keep em coming! :)

immortal_suby 02-19-2006 08:01 PM

Quote:

when i started the car the belt was squeaking, but then i started driving and it died down.

Sounds like the symptoms of the crank pulley failure. Watch the crank pulley as you rev the engine and if it moves in and out it is time for replacement.

ensteele 02-19-2006 09:52 PM

If you had a PS leak, it could be on the belt and allows it to slip. If it is a hose, I would get it fixed asap. You could be down and out someplace or time you don't want to be. :o

Earthworm 02-20-2006 01:31 PM

It will be the belt, pulley/accessory bearings or crank pulley separation. All pulleys (aside from crank) should spin quietly with the belt removed.

Jonesy 02-20-2006 04:46 PM

the thing that bothers me was the lights flashing on and off. I figured the belt was the problem when i heard the squealing, but the lights didn't seem right. I will have it looked at tommorow. Thanks for your input guys.

Earthworm 02-20-2006 04:52 PM

When mine did that it was the bearings in the tensioner pulley bearing failure. It took out the belt in the process.

NikFu S. 02-20-2006 07:42 PM

Quote:

the thing that bothers me was the lights flashing on and off. I figured the belt was the problem when i heard the squealing, but the lights didn't seem right. I will have it looked at tommorow. Thanks for your input guys.

This will occur at any time your belt is not turning the alternator, or if it fails.
The squealing can come from multiple sources including the belt, PS pump, and pulleys.

Crusader 02-20-2006 08:17 PM

This same thing just happened to me on friday night. It was -26F outside so I didn't get a chance to look at it till saturday... The crank pulley had separated :(

n00b on demand 02-20-2006 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crusader
This same thing just happened to me on friday night. It was -26F outside so I didn't get a chance to look at it till saturday... The crank pulley had separated :(

WOW that is insanley cold!!

I would hate to have anything go wrong when its that cold. Theres no heater in our garage so im screwed too :rolleyes: