The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are the Cam Caps (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49456)

techy101 03-11-2009 11:43 PM

What are the Cam Caps

I see lots of mentions of them, but what are the cam caps? (pictures maybe?)

Also, how many of them are there and does anyone know the part numbers?

Thanks!

svxfiles 03-12-2009 05:28 AM

Re: What are the Cam Caps

There are two cam caps.
One each on the front end of the intake camshafts.

scottsvx 03-12-2009 07:10 AM

This is what they look like...

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/u...g?t=1236863358

kwren 03-12-2009 01:05 PM

The cam shafts on either side of the engine work together to manipulate the intake and exhaust valves. On both sides only one is driven by the timing belt that rides on the cam sprocket that is bolted to the cam shaft. On each side of the engine, the cam shaft that does not have a sprocket pulley on it is turned by a pair of gears, one on each cam shaft.

Since only one on each side actually needs a cam shaft sproclet-pulley on it, no cam shaft seal is required, hence they cap that one off on the front of the engine with a "Cam Cap". The same on both sides, located near the cam shaft sprocket.

For more in the life of a "Cam Cap", just ask!!! :lol:

Hope this helps,
Keith:cool:

svxfiles 03-12-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 591751)
The cam shafts on either side of the engine work together to manipulate the intake and exhaust valves. The intake and exhaust valves don't like it one bit!:mad: They are talking to the springs to see if they should revolt!!! After all there are 24 valves, 48 springs and only four cams!

Hope this helps,

Fixed it.:)

:rolleyes:

kwren 03-12-2009 06:10 PM

Thanks! <3

svxfiles 03-12-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 591779)
Thanks! <3

Teeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee, snort!:p

kwren 03-12-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 591751)

Notice I was careful to not say "just ask me" :lol:

There is a lot of help on here! Since he was just getting into the subject, I thought he might want to know where he might find the cam plugs and a little background on the subject. Always have a reason!

techy101 03-12-2009 11:15 PM

I have figured out what my confusion was. I think it would be useful to try calling them by the same name as Subaru.

My understanding of a cam cap is a part of the camshaft itself, that holds it into the head (as it was explained by someone at my local dealer).

But Subaru calls them Cam Plugs.

So when I went in asking about cam caps they kept telling me that they were something that couldn't be ordered separately.

Just a thought.

Hondasucks 03-12-2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techy101 (Post 591815)
I have figured out what my confusion was. I think it would be useful to try calling them by the same name as Subaru.

My understanding of a cam cap is a part of the camshaft itself, that holds it into the head (as it was explained by someone at my local dealer).

But Subaru calls them Cam Plugs.

So when I went in asking about cam caps they kept telling me that they were something that couldn't be ordered separately.

Just a thought.

Yes, the cam caps are only available from Subaru with a cylinder head; they are line bored to the head, so if one is bad you have to get a used one and have it line bored again, or order a new cylinder head.

The fact that they have plugs on the front of the cams makes me wonder if they had originally intended to have both cams driven off the belts (like the 2.5l twin cam) instead of having one gear driven.