The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where can I buy Mobil 1 atf? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13674)

sleepysvx 10-09-2003 11:57 PM

Where can I buy Mobil 1 atf?

Hey, I've looked at several places around Portland, and I can't find the mobil 1 atf....Does anyone know a local place out here that carries it? I want to replace 6 quarts at a time, to be safe...Also, my mechanic told me today, that I should just use the recommended fluid, but replace it every oil change...? I still think synthetic would be better...hmm...

Landshark 10-10-2003 12:13 AM

any big chain auto parts store (Pep Boys, Advance Auto, AutoZone, etc.) or probably even Walmart or Kmart should have it.

Noir 10-10-2003 07:52 AM

re: i think you need more than 6

correct me if i'm wrong, i think you need more than 6. i remember reading somewhere that it's 6.x so you'll probably need 7. especially if you have a cooler and filter. then again, what do i know, i maybe wrong.

Chicane 10-10-2003 01:41 PM

Apparently they don't sell it in WI.

I've looked at Walmart, Sam's Club, Shopko, Target, K-Mart, Checker Auto, and a bunch of car parts stores. Not friggin ONE store had it!!!!!

Argh

- Rob

svx_commuter 10-10-2003 06:11 PM

They saw you coming and took it off the shelf. :D Go back now it's there. :D

svx_commuter 10-10-2003 06:13 PM

Re: Where can I buy Mobil 1 atf?

Quote:

Originally posted by sleepysvx
Hey, I've looked at several places around Portland, and I can't find the mobil 1 atf....Does anyone know a local place out here that carries it? I want to replace 6 quarts at a time, to be safe...Also, my mechanic told me today, that I should just use the recommended fluid, but replace it every oil change...? I still think synthetic would be better...hmm...
It has taken me 2 years to get it. A new Autozone opened and they carry it. No other store has it around me. Some said they did and then when I got there it was coolant or something else:rolleyes:

sleepysvx 10-10-2003 06:23 PM

No luck yet...

Hey,
Well I haven't checked Walmart yet, but I checked all the big chain stores out here in portland, oregon, like Napa,schucks, and another one, plus to smaller shops, and no one has it. One guy even tried to tell me there is no Mobil 1 atf..yeah right...So my question is, I have found Valvoline synthetic, should I go with this if I can't get the Mobil 1? One last place I will check out here is a chain called G I Joes...I was told the might have it...good luck to anyone still looking!

lee 10-10-2003 08:29 PM

just my opinion, and not strongly based on fact, but I wouldn't go with Valvoline. Their synthetic oil is not up to Mobil 1's level, so I'm guessing their ATF isn't either. Look for a performance auto parts house. I know Portland has some racers, and even a nice track. If not Mobil 1, then look at Royal Purple or Redline.

Jamsvx 10-11-2003 07:33 PM

Is Mobil 1 the way to go??? I seem to recall, in the past 2 years or so, many debates on the subject but is this now what has been agreed is the best product?

Thanks

James

Green1995SVX 10-11-2003 09:12 PM

I've always used Castrol products. It's what Kerven has used, and I am actually not a fan of Exxon/Mobil as a company and dont really want to give them my money.

Mike

Bobb 10-11-2003 10:16 PM

Mobil 1

Hi Sleepy, Go to Mobil's web site(try www.mobil.com) or look on a container of Mobil product and get the web address or their 800 number. One of these will help you find a retailer for the products you want to buy. Take care, BOBB

Landshark 10-11-2003 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
I've always used Castrol products. It's what Kerven has used, and I am actually not a fan of Exxon/Mobil as a company and dont really want to give them my money.

Mike

why, because of that drunk tanker captain? :confused:

Noir 10-12-2003 04:06 AM

re: if all else fails

if all else fails and you can't find it, order it from the websites. i get my mobil 1 oil and synthetic atf from autozone, but i also know that summit racing and all the online auto stores will ship it to you. buy a case or two to keep around.

sleepysvx 10-12-2003 07:29 PM

castrol syntec

Well I have found Castrol Syntec atf , at a local parts store...would you think that would be a decent atf, if I don't special order the Mobil 1? Since I am a new owner I am anxious to start protecting the tranny...So far I have ordered the new radiator, tranny filter, and bought a tranny cooler, so as soon as it arrives from Kerven Subaru..I can start getting to work!

sleepysvx 10-12-2003 08:23 PM

been thinking...

Well I forgot to mention I did locate a place that sells Amsoil atf....so maybe that would be good to go with? For some reason, I'm starting to like the idea of that Castrol syntec...reading some old posts...if Chrysler designed it to control the high heat their trannys were generating, sounds like it's good for the svx..Also I am not going to do a flush, just a 6 quart drop and drain, drive it for a month, then repeat...my mechanic said not to bother with any synthetic, just to do a drop and drain for the atf every oil change. What do you guys think of this idea?