The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dull head lights (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5390)

Ticallion 08-15-2002 09:47 AM

Dull head lights

Why do my headlights look so incredibly dull? Almost dirty or filmy. Can anything be done about this?

ensteele 08-15-2002 10:19 AM

This is a common problem with our headlights. Do a search and you will find out some of the products members have used to polish them. Some products can make them almost as good as new, or at least clear as new. :)

mohrds 08-15-2002 10:25 AM

There are two areas that get dirty, the outside and the inside. Only some people get dirt on the inside, so outside cleaning may do the trick.

The outside is easy to clean.
Start with 400Grit wet sandpaper and sand out all the rock chips and other dings.
Repeat with 600
Repeat with 1000
Repeat with 1500

Use plastic polish either 3M or Novus to polish them to a glass-like luster.

The inside is a little harder. You have to physically open up the headlights. Seraph has a how to floating around but his server is dead at the moment.

Doug

Earthworm 08-15-2002 10:49 AM

You would have had a free headlight treatment had you been at the 10th Anniv meet. I was able to clear up a few sets of headlights with Eagle One Ultra Fine Scratch Remover

ensteele 08-15-2002 11:04 AM

Thank you for posting the link for this product. I was just about to go searching on the net for it when this showed up. I have looked for it locally and not been able to get it. It works wonders. :) Just ordered some.:D

Ticallion 08-15-2002 11:11 AM

Awesome. Eagle one and a high speed buffer will do the trick??

Earthworm 08-15-2002 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ticallion
If by high speed buffer you mean fingers then yes it will work. :p :D

ensteele 08-15-2002 11:32 AM

People just used a cloth and or fingers to rub the product onto the headlights for a while, and then wiped off. They went from dull yellow to clean and clear. I would not use a buffer, because it may generate too much heat. I would use a cloth and rub until you get the desired results. Let us know how they come out. ;)

Green1995SVX 08-15-2002 03:38 PM

Quote:

Dont use a dremel. I used a dremel with a cotton polishing wheel, and managed to melt the inside of my light. Just thought i would warn you if you were consitering it :)

-Mike

vkykam 08-15-2002 03:50 PM

Re: Dull head lights

Ticallion,

Come down to Toronto and I'll clear it up for you for free. :D (Looking for excuses for a meet...)

VK

Quote:

Why do my headlights look so incredibly dull? Almost dirty or filmy. Can anything be done about this?

Seraph 08-15-2002 04:23 PM

Go there:

http://12.249.2.200/~svx/

then click on how-to

click on the right how-to

Lwin

Ticallion 08-15-2002 05:43 PM

Thanks guys!! I'll do my best ... i'll try with a cloth first. Hope it works :)
With regards to the toronto thing... SURE!! I'll be close to toronto on the last week of august. Wanna meet up sometime around then?

vkykam 08-15-2002 06:10 PM

Just let me know when you'll be down, and I'll make sure I won't go fishing that weekend... :)

VK

Quote:

Thanks guys!! I'll do my best ... i'll try with a cloth first. Hope it works :)
With regards to the toronto thing... SURE!! I'll be close to toronto on the last week of august. Wanna meet up sometime around then?

ensteele 08-15-2002 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Dont use a dremel. I used a dremel with a cotton polishing wheel, and managed to melt the inside of my light. Just thought i would warn you if you were consitering it :)

-Mike

Mike -

Is that how you hurt your eye? :D :D

Ticallion 08-16-2002 09:26 AM

DAMN IT!! this sucks. Neither Canadian Tire nor WalMart carry the damn fine scratch remover. And i can't even order it off the damn web since it's for continental US only!!!! :confused: Anyone got like half a can of that stuff they wanna send me? :D