The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Manual Transmission General Question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55667)

3000SVX 10-06-2010 08:47 PM

Manual Transmission General Question

Hello all.

I've been pondering the idea of the manual transmission conversion.

I've been itching to have another manual drive car after driving automatics for many years. My SVX is my daily driver, but is really showing its age and needs some TLC so i plan to park it and refurbish it. Since my wife can't drive a stick, that rules out a manual as a replacement car but I'm really liking the idea of converting the SVX to MT for weekend fun.

Some questions:
-Those who have done this, any regrets?
-Can the FWD only be converted? I have a 94 LS FWD.
-Are there any places I could bring/ship the car to to have it done? I don't have the tools nor the inclination to do it myself.

Thanks in advance.

Alex-svx 10-06-2010 10:41 PM

Re: Manual Transmission General Question

I have done it on my svx. And i really like the car mutc better now. Then whit a auto tranny.And its just work. ;)

huck369 10-07-2010 05:11 AM

ZERO regrets....
Hands down the best mod to an SVX (if you like shifting gears:D)

I don't know anyone near you that would do the swap for you, sorry....

And yes the FWD can be converted...easier than the AWD...just need to find a early FWD Legacy 5-Speed to use

Wikedjuggalo 10-07-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3000SVX (Post 659618)
Hello all.

I've been pondering the idea of the manual transmission conversion.

I've been itching to have another manual drive car after driving automatics for many years. My SVX is my daily driver, but is really showing its age and needs some TLC so i plan to park it and refurbish it. Since my wife can't drive a stick, that rules out a manual as a replacement car but I'm really liking the idea of converting the SVX to MT for weekend fun.

Some questions:
-Those who have done this, any regrets?
-Can the FWD only be converted? I have a 94 LS FWD.
-Are there any places I could bring/ship the car to to have it done? I don't have the tools nor the inclination to do it myself.

Thanks in advance.

If you are to do the MT swap please go ahead and get the AWD drivetrain. All you really need is the rear sub frame as far as that goes (sure I am forgetting something).I had it done to my 94 that was FWD and I love the AWD.

3000SVX 10-08-2010 03:59 PM

Interesting, I hadn't thought of the AWD conversion to go along with it.

Thanks for the replies.

sunvalleyray 10-08-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo (Post 659681)
If you are to do the MT swap please go ahead and get the AWD drivetrain. All you really need is the rear sub frame as far as that goes (sure I am forgetting something).I had it done to my 94 that was FWD and I love the AWD.

I might be wrong but I think the sub frame of the FWD is missing two members and do not need anything else to be converted to a AWD. Climbed underneath both my AWD and my FWD parts car and the only difference I see is the FWD model is missing - the differential bracket (part # 41321PA030) and the differential member assembly (part #41310PA000). I don't see why one could not use the sub frame from the FWD model if you add the two missing pieces for the FWD sub frame has all the same bolt holes etc.

Ray

1986nate 10-08-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunvalleyray (Post 659841)
I might be wrong but I think the sub frame of the FWD is missing two members and do not need anything else to be converted to a AWD. Climbed underneath both my AWD and my FWD parts car and the only difference I see is the FWD model is missing - the differential bracket (part # 41321PA030) and the differential member assembly (part #41310PA000). I don't see why one could not use the sub frame from the FWD model if you add the two missing pieces for the FWD sub frame has all the same bolt holes etc.

Ray

Ray, glad we were able to discuss this in PM...
Did you happen to see the costs of those items?
It's likely the cost of buying those is more expensive than just finding a spare AWD rear subframe...

Wikedjuggalo 10-08-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunvalleyray (Post 659841)

Ray

:P I can't comment on that to be honest OT was the one who did it. but I do know i bought a AWD subframe from YT (now I could be calling it the wrong thing here).

sunvalleyray 10-09-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 659863)
Ray, glad we were able to discuss this in PM...
Did you happen to see the costs of those items?
It's likely the cost of buying those is more expensive than just finding a spare AWD rear subframe...

I agree, if you buy these two missing pieces the cost would be somewhere around $335.00 plus tax and S&H. Unfortunately for me, my Arizona parts car's rear sub frame is perfect but it is FWD - so I need the two pieces. The good news is that I found the smaller bracket, now need only the larger one.

Ray