The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   move the seats and rails back _l---> _l (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38912)

black beast 05-10-2007 06:10 PM

move the seats and rails back _l---> _l

OK next question...
I am a tall guy, 6'4" maybe 6'5" I have removed the rear seats and have a plan to make that look better then then bare metal, but I want to move my seats back so that my legs ( they are long) have more room. So I start... How do I remove the seat from the rail ( I have the electro seats)? next is their any special way to relocate the rails back or is it just drill the hole and screw in the rail in the new location?
Thanks for any help I may get.

cdvs 05-10-2007 06:33 PM

Move seats

I don't know if anyone has done this, you could try to search, but it's primitive and often misses the good stuff.

Definitely can't just drill new holes and put screws in, this would be extremely unsafe.

I have had the seats out and had a good look. Seems you could cut off the mounting brackets weld them onto a stout piece of stock that extended back further than the brackets mount. Then weld the seat onto the extension.

OTOH, it maybe easier to make up some extensions that mount to the regular mounting locations on the car in the front of the extension and to the seat in the rear of the extension.

Good Luck. I'm sure we'd all love to hear how it works out.

ensteele 05-10-2007 07:07 PM

It may be easier to have a short section removed from your legs. :rolleyes: :D :D

black beast 05-10-2007 07:52 PM

nah, I asked a surgeon about cutting a foot off my legs but that came to a couple thousand with relocating my feet and all. Too bad too, I mean being 5'4" might have been fun.

the weld would be easy, the seats off is the part I am having a problem with ( I dont want to ruin them)
Thanks

Hocrest 05-10-2007 08:00 PM

To remove the seat, first move it forward, pop the covers at the end of the rails if they're still and remove three 14mm headed bolts. One on each rail going into the floor and one going into the side of the tunnel. Then slide the seat the whole way to the rear, remove the covers and two 14mm bolts that hold the front of the rails to the floor. Then fold the seat, like you were letting someone in the back, then tilt the entire seat to the rear and disconnect the two wiring harnesses.

black beast 05-10-2007 08:03 PM

Cool! Thx!

cdvs 05-10-2007 08:12 PM

If you don't want to ruin the seats, the extension option would be the better choice. It would be reversible.

Trevor 05-10-2007 09:15 PM

Leave any decision until you have check the existing set up. Many cars have more than one set of mounting holes somewhere in the mechanism, to allow for extra adjustment. Keep this in mind and observe carefully.

Hocrest 05-10-2007 09:21 PM

There are no additional mounting points in the car floorpan. There may be other ways to do it between the rails and the seat??

black beast 05-11-2007 03:59 PM

Ok, apon looking at it I see that there are no other mounting areas to put the bolts. Would this work: Take some stock cut to size, weld that to the floor, bolt the rail onto the that so that the seat is no higher just further back? Also to anyone that has gone to aftermarket seats, are the aftermarket rails any longer? That might be an answer.
any ideas are very welcome

Trevor 05-11-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black beast
Ok, apon looking at it I see that there are no other mounting areas to put the bolts. Would this work: Take some stock cut to size, weld that to the floor, bolt the rail onto the that so that the seat is no higher just further back? Also to anyone that has gone to aftermarket seats, are the aftermarket rails any longer? That might be an answer.
any ideas are very welcome

Why not ? Looks like an obvious answer. In lieu of welding, you possibly could bolt on the attachment, making sure that on the underside of floor large washers are fitted, so that the bolts will not pull through in the event of a prang. ;)

michael 05-11-2007 05:14 PM

Not trying to insult your intelligence but have you maximized your adjustments? I'm 6'4" and have no problems, in fact I find it quite roomy. Is it your steering wheel that's bothering you or the dead pedal? Before you go chopping up your seat It's Just Eric has some for $20 that you should get for spare parts. Good luck.

black beast 05-12-2007 01:57 PM

the way my legs sit in the car are bent to either side like I am in a go cart, yes I have checked that the seat is all the way back ( Dont worry I used to work IT and the first question is, is the computer on?) OK so, so far the bracket wins, cool.

SVXRide 05-12-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black beast
the way my legs sit in the car are bent to either side like I am in a go cart, yes I have checked that the seat is all the way back ( Dont worry I used to work IT and the first question is, is the computer on?) OK so, so far the bracket wins, cool.

You've tried the "up-down" adjustment that uses the latch at the bottom center of the steering column?
-Bill

budbaer 05-12-2007 02:33 PM

Just wondering. Have you adjusted the hidden tilt steering paddle under the steering column? I get that go-cart feel when the steering wheel is to low. When I first bought my car, I only saw the "lift" lever on the side of the column.