The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Price check- '92 LS-L with a 5 speed (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18074)

svxhunter 04-18-2004 09:38 PM

Price check- '92 LS-L with a 5 speed

Any opinions on the value of a very good condition '92 LS-L with a nice 5-speed job? I don't mean a perfect car, but I mean a better than average, well done, good runnning, good looking car.

I've got a sense of the value of a stock car. Do you think the manual increases or decreases the value?

-Paul

Chicane 04-18-2004 09:58 PM

Depends. Does the transmission have a warranty, like a rebuilt auto? Or is it a junkyard part? That's what I think it would depend on, in case the tranny fails or has some drivetrain probs...

How much will you sell it for? :D I 'might' be interested.

- Rob

ensteele 04-18-2004 11:18 PM

It might be interesting for you to know that a "Professional Shop" that we all know about does not even give a warranty for the work that they do. At first you might think that it is a better than average conversion, but it is no better than your next door mechanic using parts out of a junk yard and converting your car to a 5 speed. The guarantee is good until you get it off the parking lot. :( I think the value is in whether someone wants a 5 speed or not. Some may not want a 5 speed, so it would not be a selling point. :)

shelfy 04-18-2004 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
It might be interesting for you to know that a "Professional Shop" that we all know about does not even give a warranty for the work that they do. At first you might think that it is a better than average conversion, but it is no better than your next door mechanic using parts out of a junk yard and converting your car to a 5 speed. The guarantee is good until you get it off the parking lot. :( I think the value is in whether someone wants a 5 speed or not. Some may not want a 5 speed, so it would not be a selling point. :)
earl:

i once read a post where you mentioned someone considering a manual transmission conversion from this shop should send you a PM. is this the reason? i always thought that if and when the slushbox failed on the claret, i would take it to them. hmmm.

ps - i've put 38k miles since on this car since i bought it without knowing anything of its past and haven't experienced so much as a single flare. but now that i've said something, it will probably fail on me tomorrow.

pps - i do, however, pray to the tranny gods every night.

ensteele 04-18-2004 11:41 PM

Yes, that would be the reason. You don't see him post here any more either. :rolleyes: I think he shot himself in the foot! :(

shelfy 04-18-2004 11:46 PM

i see. can i assume this shop did your conversion. and i remember you having problems a few months ago, right?

dcarrb 04-19-2004 06:19 AM

A 5-speed manual would lower an SVXs market value, in my mind, because the conversion is such a significant departure from stock. And no matter how tight the work, subsequent owners could be in for a real hassle when it comes time for repairs.

dcb

svxhunter 04-19-2004 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane
Depends. Does the transmission have a warranty, like a rebuilt auto? Or is it a junkyard part? That's what I think it would depend on, in case the tranny fails or has some drivetrain probs...

How much will you sell it for? :D I 'might' be interested.

- Rob

I can't imagine anyone offering a warranty on work that so drastically departs from stock. Even if the tranny was brand new, the application is not warranted.

Does someone actually know of such a warranty?

I think I agree with dcarrb on the price.

No, I'm not selling one right now. I am building one. I'm just thinking ahead.

-Paul

Chiketkd 04-19-2004 09:03 AM

svxhunter, I'll say this... Since I'm currently in the market for an SVX, I would pay up to 2K over market value for an SVX with a properly installed 5 spd. Generally, when crap goes wrong with a manual it's a cheaper fix than with an Auto.

I can't begin to tell you the number of clutches I wore out on my old Camaro from dumping the clutch - and each was a $400 fix and I was back racing again. When my wife's 4EAT broke on her old 240SX, we had to take out a loan to cover the 3K repair bill!

-Chike

ensteele 04-19-2004 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by shelfy
i see. can i assume this shop did your conversion. and i remember you having problems a few months ago, right?

yes

I understand not standing behind the parts, but what about their defective parts, and workmanship? How about not finishing the job? No, I am not happy. :(

shelfy 04-19-2004 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele

yes

I understand not standing behind the parts, but what about their defective parts, and workmanship? How about not finishing the job? No, I am not happy. :(

good information. i will have to rethink my plans if my tranny ever fails. :(

dcarrb 04-19-2004 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd
svxhunter, I'll say this... Since I'm currently in the market for an SVX, I would pay up to 2K over market value for an SVX with a properly installed 5 spd. Generally, when crap goes wrong with a manual it's a cheaper fix than with an Auto.

I can't begin to tell you the number of clutches I wore out on my old Camaro from dumping the clutch - and each was a $400 fix and I was back racing again. When my wife's 4EAT broke on her old 240SX, we had to take out a loan to cover the 3K repair bill!

-Chike

I certainly understand why a 5-speed is desirable; I'd rather drive a stick any day, especially here in the southern Appalachians. That said, I remain convinced that a well-maintained, (close to) stock SVX is of greater value to the general market than one that has been extensively modded (and probably flogged half to death). Swapping an automatic for a manual-shift in a car that was never offered so equipped qualifies as extensive.

If ever these cars ever actually appreciate in value (as collectibles, or whatever), this will be especially valid.

dcb

immortal_suby 04-19-2004 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by shelfy
pps - i do, however, pray to the tranny gods every night.
Grrr - tranny demons be damned!
(they got me twice now)

Chiketkd 04-27-2004 04:21 PM

svxhunter, the '95 5spd with 80K+ miles FS on Ebay went for $7,755. That'll give you some idea of what adding a 5spd is worth to some buyers...

Ebay Auction - 95 5spd SVX

(Note: There is a thread in the For Sale Section that also has this auction listed).

Phast SVX 04-27-2004 04:40 PM

who said the 5speed depreciated
phil