The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Car got hit last night (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23567)

Phast SVX 01-02-2005 06:18 AM

Car got hit last night

Well in the midst of a new years day ice storm my car got hit by a complete idiot who decided that they would try to go to a hokey game in their honda SUV. Was eating dinner, and BOOM heard them hit my car and the car alarm go off and new my day had been ruined.

My question is do you think there could be any damage done even though only a small scratch is visual, what are the chances of internal damage to the bumper etc. I will be pinting the car and if i need a new entire bumper assembly becuase i got jacked years ago.

I have all insurance info so im curious as to what the effects of hitting a 5mph bumper hard are, say sliding about a foot and setting the alarm off. thanks alot
phil

wawazat?? 01-02-2005 06:46 AM

Sorry to hear Phil

Bumper core damage is one thing to worry about, the other is the bumper mounting locations in the frame. Tear it apart for a full inspection is the only way to be sure.

Todd

ensteele 01-02-2005 09:30 AM

Sorry to hear that Phil. It seems to always be the other guy who hit our poor cars. :(

Chiketkd 01-02-2005 12:34 PM

Sorry to hear about this Phil. I know you really adore your '92. I'm glad you were at leats able to get the insurance info. There are so many people out there who would just speed off... :mad: My wife's car has been damaged twice in a hit-n-run. :mad: :mad:

-Chike

Phast SVX 01-02-2005 04:53 PM

Thanks alot guys :(, appreciate the advice/support.

Im taking it in to get an estimate right away tomorrow in the morning. Upon further inspection due to daylight and no sleeting rain, there are more then a few scratches and a nice crease mark where the bumper folded up from the impact so im definetly a little bit more upset then i was last night.

I am almost posotive that its jammed in a half inch or so, it seems he lucked out since he managed to hit me most with his license plate frame and bols :mad: But what are you gona do. Im just glad i was home/car alarm went off, so i didnt have to find out how honest my neighbors were. Having never been in an accident and never been ticketed i guess i can still consider myself extremely lucky on the roads.

phil

Phast SVX 01-02-2005 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:(

Chiketkd 01-02-2005 07:25 PM

Damage doesn't look too bad Phil, but I can feel your pain. Again, I'm glad the person hung around gave you their insurance info. At least you know your car will get fixed at no expense out-of-pocket for you.

-Chike

MNYPNNY 01-02-2005 07:51 PM

Remember that the "bumper" is actually a bumper cover, and plastic... if there was no actual damage to the metal bumper, then you should be able to replace the bumper cover.....

Phast SVX 01-02-2005 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by thndrmtn92svx
Remember that the "bumper" is actually a bumper cover, and plastic... if there was no actual damage to the metal bumper, then you should be able to replace the bumper cover.....
Ya, lets pray so ....

phil

NapaBavarian 01-02-2005 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
Sorry to hear that Phil. It seems to always be the other guy who hit our poor cars. :(

People who care about their cars and people who care about other people don't usually hit other peoples cars, it isn't that hard!!! Pepole who hang out here probably at least like their car...

NikFu S. 01-03-2005 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Phast SVX
:(
I can only see scratches.

CigarJohnny 01-03-2005 05:13 AM

Sorry to hear about your hit, Phil. Even if their is some bumper and bumper mount damage, let their insurance take care of it for you. The thing I worry about most with accident damage is getting paint to match reasonably well and since you are planning on repainting it anyway, you need only worry about mechanical repairs. Bumper damage should be the easiest type to repair properly as long as no frame damage was done.

Looks like you got away with minimal damage considering it was icy conditions. I'd say to Thank God they hit your bumper and didn't sideswipe the SVX but I'm sure you've already done that. ;) Best of luck with the repairs and the paint. Hopefully replacements can be found handily.

Johnny

Subafreak 01-03-2005 06:47 PM

Like Johnny said, at least they hit the bumber, it's designed to take a hit. A quater panel shot would have really sucked. Good luck getting it all back together.;)

Phast SVX 01-03-2005 09:46 PM

ya it seems to just be the bumper cover. I got an estimate and turned it in to the guys insurance company today. $956. Looks like it is going int othe paint the car fund...
phil

Noir 01-03-2005 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Phast SVX
ya it seems to just be the bumper cover. I got an estimate and turned it in to the guys insurance company today. $956. Looks like it is going int othe paint the car fund...
phil

Sounds like your year started right. New bumper and new paint job :D :D :D