The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   mild front end end shake (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62441)

SUPER 01-12-2014 11:25 AM

mild front end end shake

So the top of motor leak is taken care of. Next issue,

I have new rotors/brakes. Braking and driving very smooth except... At higher speeds, 60 mph or so, i get a slight wobble on the steering wheel during braking. Thinking suspension?

Chucksta 01-12-2014 05:18 PM

Re: mild front end end shake

Ummm,,, Actually thinking out of round rotors. The easiest way to check is with a "dial indicator". What you're looking for is what's called "Run out". With the wheel off, set the probe of the dial indicator against the mid to outer section of the disc and rotate the wheel./ There should be no more than a couple of thou variance in one complete revolution of the wheel. Check both sides, as it only takes one side to be out to wiggle the steering wheel. If it only does it sometimes, that's indicative of BOTH sides being out of round, as every time you turn a corner, the wheels orientation to each other is changed, which results in that sometimes, the out of roundness on one side cancels out the out of roundness on the other side, and sometimes amplifies the symptom.

If you find the disc is not "true" ... return it! Do NOT let them turn it, especially if you paid for drilled, dimpled or slotted.. One of the problems with the SVX is that it's a relatively heavy vehicle, and therefore generates a significant amount of heat under breaking. Turning the rotors, even if the disc remains "within specs", diminishes it's ability to absorb heat, and diminishes it's ability to resist warping from, shall we say, enthusiastic driving. It wouldn't hurt to check the rears, while you're at it. If they are out of true, you wouldn't feel it as much, but ANY out of roundness plays hell with the ABS when you approach threshold.

It's actually doing the same thing at slower speeds, it's just not as noticeable, as the frequency of the pulsing is directly related to road speed. It's also relative to braking force.

It's pretty much a certainty that the issue is in the front set. The basic rule of thumb is that if you feel it in the steering wheel, it's the front end, if you feel it in the seat of your pants, it's in the rear end.

SUPER 01-12-2014 11:45 PM

Thanks for feedback.

SURTEESS 01-13-2014 01:26 AM

Most new rotors state in the packaging - that they should be machined right out of the box, as could have been dropped by courier....

R1Concepts state that...that is why I got mine done while on the car.

1986nate 01-21-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUPER (Post 731094)
So the top of motor leak is taken care of. Next issue,

I have new rotors/brakes. Braking and driving very smooth except... At higher speeds, 60 mph or so, i get a slight wobble on the steering wheel during braking. Thinking suspension?

Inner Tie rod ends

(or crappy rotors)

SUPER 01-25-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 731326)
Inner Tie rod ends

(or crappy rotors)

If inner tie rod ends, expensive repair? Are there aftermarket parts, or OEM only?

WhatIsThisIDont 01-25-2014 10:38 PM

Beck-Arnley makes some pretty decent tie rods, and if you get them on Amazon, they aren't too bad.

If they have been in there for a while, they can be quite a pain to break loose and you'll need an alignment afterwards. If you're going through the pain of the job, might as well do the outters too.

Granted, you'll be able to tell once the car is in the air.

1986nate 01-27-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatIsThisIDont (Post 731513)
Beck-Arnley makes some pretty decent tie rods, and if you get them on Amazon, they aren't too bad.

IIRC (based on other SVX owners) the beck arnley's are more expensive than OEM. Buddy just ordered both outers and one inner (already had a single inner) and it cost him $150 shipped.

Chucksta 02-05-2014 12:24 PM

On my '97, the same symptom ( pulsing / mild shake under braking over 60 MPH), occurred immediately after a safety check and 4 wheel alignment. Not that it didn't do it before that, I wouldn't know, as that was done at purchase. But, I would like to think that if the tie rods, or any other front end part wasn't up to par, it wouldn't have passed the safety, nor would an alignment been possible. What I don't know, however, is what amount of play is allowed in a tie rod to pass a safety check, or, how little play would there have to be to eliminate the tie rod end as the culprit.

I asked my mechanic if he checked the discs for run out, and he said that he didn't, as it wasn't required for a safety check. He only checked for structural flaws and thickness. When I swap out the snows for the summer rims, I'm going to check the run out on the discs. I'm interested to see how little out they have to be to make the steering wheel pulse.

I'll let you know how that goes in about eight weeks.

B 4 You 02-05-2014 04:54 PM

Check your ball joints too. Super easy to replace and can cause a shake if they're bad. I had a tiny shake forever because the alignment shop told me only one was bad

SUPER 02-05-2014 07:36 PM

Update - I took it to my regular shop to see what was up.

They put her in the air and all the suspension seemed real tight.

They used a dial indicator and found that the rotors were true.

Rotated the tires and there was no change in the mild shake.

So, their recommendation... Wait until it gets worse. it is really very mild.

They suspect it could be an axle, CV joint, whatever. Thought it would be an expensive expedition to look for the problem when the issue was minor at this point.

So... There it is.

B 4 You 02-06-2014 11:14 AM

How's the air pressure in the tires?

Tapani 02-06-2014 11:25 AM

Probably not relevant to the SVX, but once I had a Ford which developed a similar issue if the lug nuts were not properly torqued down with most of the weight of the car off the wheels.

Easy to check. The hub flanges distorted just a tad.

/T

SilverSpear 02-06-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapani (Post 731812)
Probably not relevant to the SVX, but once I had a Ford which developed a similar issue if the lug nuts were not properly torqued down with most of the weight of the car off the wheels.

Easy to check. The hub flanges distorted just a tad.

/T

I second the hub flanges, they are the only thing I could think of that may cause a "mystery" shake after what you listed above (as checked).

SUPER 02-08-2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B 4 You (Post 731811)
How's the air pressure in the tires?

33lbs front and 29lbs rear.

Could it be the ABS? She only pulses when pushing it hard. Not panic, but harder than typical cruising braking.