The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pluralizing SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49061)

AyeJaye 02-09-2009 06:58 PM

Pluralizing SVX

So one thing I've noticed in all my readings here, it seems that people choose to pluralize SVX in a couple different ways. I've seen SVX's, and SVXi both used frequently on here. What is your preference, and why do you feel its better.

I personally feel that SVX is like deer or elk, it should be spelled the same singular and plural. Not sure exactly why I feel that way, it just seems natural to me. (Strangely enough I could easily see a large group of SVX referred to as a herd of SVX. Kind of emphasizes the rarity of our cars :lol: )

SoCal LS-L 02-09-2009 07:07 PM

Re: Pluralizing SVX

My understanding is the SVXi was higher end SVX in the later years.... a rename of the LS-L. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong :lol:

tiv0 02-09-2009 07:19 PM

ive always liked SVXi

but i tend to add an "i" to the end of words to make them plural...even if it doesnt make sense

subeman90 02-09-2009 07:42 PM

I use svxi cause it makes me sound more smarter. :lol:

Hondasucks 02-09-2009 08:11 PM

I put other because even though SVXi sounds interesting, pluralizing a noun with an i only applies to Latin nouns/pronouns, and the other choice, SVX's is not correct since 's indicates possession, not plurality.

I asked my wife, since she works in the reading, writing, and study skills lab at Linn-Benton Community College and has a handy little guide for such things, and she says that the correct pluralization is "SVXes."

wyldnwoody44 02-09-2009 08:17 PM

Im with hondasux with svx'es it just rolls off the tounge nicely!!

mysvxrocks 02-09-2009 08:57 PM

I always used SVXii, lol. Just liked the sound of it. I dont care if the grammar isnt right :p

As for the higher end thing, the 92 and 92 has LS-L, and after that, the high end was LS-i

The breakdown is

92 - LS, LS-L
93 - LS-L
94 - LE, L, LS, LS-i
95 - L, LS, LS-i
96 - L, LS, LS-i
97 - And I think 97 only had LS-i, correct me if Im wrong

But SVXi is only used in reference to multiple SVXi, SVXs, SVX'es lol

ensteele 02-10-2009 12:33 AM

I use SVXes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

svxcess 02-10-2009 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 586827)
I use SVXes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a lazy way of saying "SVXess"

svxistentialist 02-10-2009 04:38 AM

I use SVXs, which is close to SVXes I suppose.

A lot of people use the latin SVXi, which is cute but technically incorrect. For it to be correct the singular would need to be SVXus.

And it isn't. :rolleyes:

Joe :)

[My wife has a problem with me pluralising. She says I have too many of them!]

dcarrb 02-10-2009 05:19 AM

SVXs, no apostrophe. Plural means more than one, while an apostrophe conveys possession: There are two SVXs in the SVX's garage.

dcb

shelfy 02-10-2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 586841)
SVXs, no apostrophe. Plural means more than one, while an apostrophe conveys possession: There are two SVXs in the SVX's garage.

dcb

ding ding ding!

SVXRide 02-10-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondasucks (Post 586792)
I put other because even though SVXi sounds interesting, pluralizing a noun with an i only applies to Latin nouns/pronouns, and the other choice, SVX's is not correct since 's indicates possession, not plurality.

I asked my wife, since she works in the reading, writing, and study skills lab at Linn-Benton Community College and has a handy little guide for such things, and she says that the correct pluralization is "SVXes."

Yep, that's the correct "pluralization":lol: (think I just created a new word...). That said, I still voted for SVXi :D
-Bill

bheinen74 02-10-2009 10:22 AM

some say moose, meese, or meeses. goose, gooses, geese

SVX, SVooxe, Sveex.

RSVX 02-10-2009 12:44 PM

been discussed ad-nauseum, a search is in order.