The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Code 14 & 15 A/C diagnostic codes (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59862)

alia176 05-18-2012 06:28 AM

Code 14 & 15 A/C diagnostic codes

I'd like some input from the board on these two error codes for the HVAC system. I can replace both sensors but before I do, I wanted to make sure that I'm not missing anything.

Code 14 - Evaporator sensor open
Code 15 - Refrigerant temp sensor open

FSM states to conduct a resistance value check for both sensors. After testing them, they both fell in line with the value from the table. I find it peculiar that BOTH sensors are reporting an open circuit condition at the same time. This points to a connector not making good contact that is common to both. I'll keep poking around but so far haven't found anything concrete.

Purchasing these two sensors are rather expensive so I have to make absolutely sure that they're both bad before ordering. $140 for one and $50 for the other.

The A/C system does work decent when it works. However, it refused to turn on for my ride home from work, around 90°F. But, it worked earlier in the day during my lunch hour, 40°F vent temp :rolleyes: Go figure.

When operating normally, the high and low side pressures are appropriate for the ambient temps.

This is what happened yesterday:

- get in the hot car, turn on engine
- push AUTO on the HVAC
- system takes a while, maybe 30 seconds before turning on full blast for five seconds.
- system shuts off
- while I'm driving, I do feel faint cold air coming out of the vents but I don't think the blower was running
- shut off system, back to AUTO several times yielded nothing.

System converted to r134A
- new condenser
- new expansion valve
- new drier
- new a/c comp

Thanks for any insight.

Tapani 05-18-2012 08:25 AM

Re: Code 14 & 15 A/C diagnostic codes

1 Attachment(s)
Did I send you the AC manual?

See attachement for relevant connectors.

Ground fault?

Borrow an other control unit and try that.... ?

Tapani

alia176 05-20-2012 06:08 PM

That is an excellent picture, thanks. I saved it.

I checked the continuity between 13 & 12 and what do you know, the resistance value is not within spec. In fact, the test revealed an open circuit :mad: So, at least I have a defective sensor so it'll have to be replaced I'm thinking. Sucks that I have to deplete the system of R134a but oh well.

But, just to be sure, I'll try the control unit next to see what's up. This is a second control unit so I'm hoping it is not failing but it's easy enough to test it out.

Thanks.

Tapani 05-21-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alia176 (Post 704764)
That is an excellent picture, thanks. I saved it.

Thanks.

I think I e-mailed the whole AC section a while ago :-)

T